Car Talk

Car Talk

Thu, 05/12/2011 - 17:25 by Ananth in response to gas station snacks for dinner

This is about our drive up to Toronto for TCAF! With us in the car are Dave Roman and Raina Telgemeier! Dave and Raina are both cartoonists - Dave's newest book coming out is Astronaut Academy, and Raina is the cartoonist behind Smile, which you've undoubtedly seen gracing the shelves at book stores. I'm glad I finally have an excuse to write about them - they are two of the most welcoming people on the planet! When we first moved to NYC we didn't know anyone at all and they were incredibly friendly and introduced us to lots of people. They're totally the best, and made our transition much more comfortable.

We'll be at Big Apple Comic Con weekend after next (May 21-22)! More on that as we get closer to it.

Oh and previously mentioned: T-shirts should be in soon! And we're reordering the Cat-mera charms this week.

That's all from us! See you next week!

Comments

Well...

Comment by PenInHand (not verified) Thu, 05/12/2011 - 17:32

Congrats on accidentally driving through the best town ever. An emporium...A HORSELAND EMPORIUM AT THAT?!

I don't know what that is but I'm almost sure it's a good thing.

I hope I'll get the chance

Comment by Weathertech floor mats (not verified) Sun, 04/01/2012 - 19:07

I hope I'll get the chance to drive through this city too, everybody talks so greatly about it, I can only expect greatness from it. In fact, I am planning a car trip there for this summer. Any tips for a first comer?

I always hear that you can

Comment by Koiyuki (not verified) Thu, 05/12/2011 - 17:34

I always hear that you can find anything at any time of the day in NYC. When I travel there, I plan to put that to the test by finding an open arcade @ 4 in the morning

When I went to NYC

Comment by CidHighwind (not verified) Thu, 05/12/2011 - 20:34

When I went to NYC (specifically, Manhattan) a month ago, I found this to be mostly true. When we wanted dinner, we would decide what type of food we wanted, pick a direction to walk from the hotel, and we could find that EXACT type of restaurant/cafe within a few blocks. This is mostly true for most of Manhattan, for most types of shops. And LOTS of places are open at all times of the night, but not all.

I never did see an arcade, though. I'm sure there is one somewhere, but they are a dying thing in the US.

You want arcades?

Comment by Edison T. Allere (not verified) Sat, 05/14/2011 - 09:31

You might already know this, but Delaware. Delaware still has arcades in their beach towns like Dewey, Rehoboth, Bethany, and also Ocean City in Maryland.

Lol, Yuko. I didn't even

Comment by Lightlybow (not verified) Thu, 05/12/2011 - 18:07

Lol, Yuko. I didn't even think about that being racist before, but now...

On our road trip to Atlanta,

Comment by Sarah (not verified) Thu, 05/12/2011 - 18:10

On our road trip to Atlanta, we stopped for food somewhere near Missouri. There was a Waffle House, and the first I'd seen, and we got excited at the prospect of waffles.

Turns out, not that exciting. Also, EVERYWHERE. After that, I swear they were at EVERY SINGLE EXIT until we got to Georgia. Shortly after noticing the pattern, someone in the car would yell WAFFLE HOUSE every time we passed one.

Good times.

:T

Comment by gale (not verified) Thu, 05/12/2011 - 18:46

Teddy Grahams get really weird when they pass the expiration date. Not that I would know because I tried one out of a two-years-gone box or anything, that would just be in bad taste.

Also, Dave and Raina are adorable! :D

:T

Comment by Raina (not verified) Thu, 05/12/2011 - 19:52

Gale, how did you know about the stale Teddy Grahams we ate en route?...

Don't worry

Comment by Emily (not verified) Thu, 05/12/2011 - 20:14

Raina, check the roll-over text for the comic. :) That's how they knew.

:T

Comment by Raina (not verified) Thu, 05/12/2011 - 20:25

Phew. I thought I was going insane.

Haha, oh gosh! No

Comment by gale (not verified) Thu, 05/12/2011 - 20:41

Haha, oh gosh! No omniscience here yet, but I'm working on it.

lololololololololol

Comment by Al Paradise (not verified) Mon, 05/16/2011 - 14:30

lol teddy grahms

I'm a Giant Nerd

Comment by White Rhino PSO (not verified) Thu, 05/12/2011 - 18:49

There's two possibilities that strike me. A), Ananth and Yuko are sitting together in the back seat, as other-glasses-gal is driving, or B) Yuko is in the fornt-passenger seat due to Ananth being a chivalrous guy.

The question is, where is scruffybeard-glasses-guy sitting? He's shown in a driver's-side seat shape, but the car looks to be a four-door. >.>

Haha, that's exactly what

Comment by Kuugun (not verified) Thu, 05/12/2011 - 22:13

Haha, that's exactly what was wondering at first. If you look at the direction of the seatbelts, it looks like he is on the passenger side. I'm guessing that he is in the front passenger seat.

bucket seats

Comment by maldar (not verified) Fri, 05/13/2011 - 15:55

I think you are confused as the interior of the car was not drawn. The front seats are bucket seats and the rear seat is a bench seat. I think you are mistaking the unfinished background to be glass, but glass is not normally that low on a door.

Actually...

Comment by White Rhino PSO (not verified) Fri, 05/13/2011 - 20:22

I was going by the shape of the seat behind them rather than the seatbelt or background. Assuming that a curve on the left of the person meant the left side of the car, and on the right meant the right side of the car.

Either way, bad assumptions were made. =P

I'm sensing a pattern here.

Comment by David A. (not verified) Thu, 05/12/2011 - 18:53

I'm sensing a pattern here.

I Love Long Road Trips.

Comment by tsarstepan (not verified) Thu, 05/12/2011 - 20:24

I loved making the road trip from NYC to Pittsburgh for the Christmas holiday. Good music and great company for the trip. Great times. ((sigh))

...sigh...

Comment by Bob (not verified) Thu, 05/12/2011 - 20:32

That sounds almost just like my friends and I after a punk show in Cambridge. Except... in addition to finding all the sketchy things... every restaurant we passed was closed. There was even what I can only describe as a phantom street vendor. We could smell his delicious cooking meatsmells but could not find him.

Yuko finds all the massage

Comment by Jack K (not verified) Thu, 05/12/2011 - 22:40

Yuko finds all the massage parlors.

Hope to see you there

Comment by Ramiel (not verified) Fri, 05/13/2011 - 01:16

Let's hope I don't get lost on the convention floor @_@

A massage parlour recently

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Fri, 05/13/2011 - 08:12

A massage parlour recently moved into my town. They painted the windows all black and hung up a plank of wood with "ASIAN MASSAGE" painted on it. I'm sure it's a classy place...

With happy endings, I'm

Comment by Hikki536 (not verified) Fri, 05/13/2011 - 11:25

With happy endings, I'm sure. :)

>_<

Comment by Arthur (not verified) Fri, 05/13/2011 - 09:49

Those aren't massage parlors. I'm pretty sure they're brothels. It would explain the "all-Oriental staff" remark.

sorry

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Fri, 05/13/2011 - 11:53

I am sorry to notice that in the car you have 3 people in the right of the car, and only one person on the left side...

It's a European car. That's

Comment by Dart (not verified) Fri, 05/13/2011 - 17:09

It's a European car. That's how they work.

Custom made car

Comment by Alain (not verified) Sun, 05/15/2011 - 23:44

It's a totally custom-made car. Didn't you notice the "suicide doors" ?

Artists have all kinds of connections with industrial designers and the rest.

Basically everyone here in

Comment by KM (not verified) Fri, 05/13/2011 - 12:16

Basically everyone here in Canada are professional massagers, and we love massages. You can't massage yourself, now can you? 8D

I just remembered

Comment by Hikki536 (not verified) Sat, 05/14/2011 - 23:51

In South Africa, most gas stations sell various kinds of pies on the go.

Actually rather than pies, they're like a bigger version of hot pocket, there's curry beef, chicken, and... I forgot. I knew I really liked the curry beef. It tasted like samosa.

Although

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Mon, 05/16/2011 - 21:28

Although if you think about any of those massage parlors could have offered various "eats" if one was so inclined.

ALL THE DIRTY JOKES the

Comment by HopelessO (not verified) Mon, 05/16/2011 - 22:56

ALL THE DIRTY JOKES

the dirty, dirty jokes

in this comment section.

...Just commenting on it. (If I exaggerate, there's at least at least one dirty joker here. AND I AM LOOKING AT YOU.)

No Food?

Comment by Robert V Aldrich (not verified) Tue, 05/17/2011 - 08:20

But you guys passed all those massage studios? Guys, you missed out on a legendary opportunity. Who has the best lunch buffets? Strip clubs! And what do masseuses do? They knead. Whether its sore muscles or biscuit dough, they've got to be champions at it. You might have passed up some of the baked goods of your life.

Haha...no wait

Comment by Avy (not verified) Wed, 05/18/2011 - 23:19

The first time I saw "granite surfacing" I read "granite Saurfang"

....The font? I don't know. I think I've played too much WoW....

yuko's face in the last

Comment by Ethne (not verified) Wed, 06/15/2011 - 16:08

yuko's face in the last pannel *snickers* i'm- i'm sorry. i can't hel- *bursts into hysterics*

Too good

Comment by large print playing cards (not verified) Mon, 06/27/2011 - 00:15

Its my pleasure to get access to such a site.

splendid

Comment by double cut saw (not verified) Mon, 10/17/2011 - 04:47

I think your post is very good, rather I would have liked to read a bit more about this topic because I think it is quite interesting. So i look forward to see next updates.