Big Apple Comic Con

Big Apple Comic Con

Tue, 05/17/2011 - 16:04 by Ananth in response to where everybody knows your name

There's a fine line to walk when it comes to being a regular! From my personal experience if they know your name it's too much. But if they know what you order, that's perfect.

A couple of things to talk about!

First, we'll be at Big Apple Comic Con in NYC this coming weekend! Come by and see us, we'll have books, t-shirts and more.

Second, Adam Warrock's newest EP This Man, This Emcee is out! It features a redone version of Johnny Wanderin'! It's 7 tracks for 5 bucks, a steal, and the opening track Marvel vs. DC is one that I particularly like. If you want to purchase a single track you can do so through Itunes. He's also doing a show at the Littlefield Thursday night in Brooklyn - tickets are $10!

Third - CMYcat and Hokusai tees will be in the store by next week at the latest! We'll have both at the Comic Con this weekend.

That's it for now! See you Thursday!

Comments

Yay Regulars!

Comment by Nikkerz (not verified) Tue, 05/17/2011 - 16:14

I was a regular at the starbucks near the PD I worked at. I would walk in and get online and they wouldn't even ask me my order they'd have it made by time I got to the pick up end.

You know you're a regular when they start "comping" you drinks though!

Also I love your comic!

The middle of this comic has

Comment by Tgjan (not verified) Tue, 05/17/2011 - 16:32

The middle of this comic has poofed!

The spacing's probably there

Comment by Aperture (not verified) Tue, 05/17/2011 - 21:18

The spacing's probably there to show a passage of time.

"Avocado"

Comment by Lela (not verified) Tue, 05/17/2011 - 17:14

Ha, I know exactly how this feels. It's great. The sandwich shop near my house now knows exactly how I like my hummus wrap and a there's a woman at the dinner market I eat at almost daily who can predict my order 95% of the time.

(Btw, "avacado" is spelled incorrectly.)

Aw, ninja'd on the

Comment by Kevin (not verified) Tue, 05/17/2011 - 17:25

Aw, ninja'd on the spelling.

My parents and I are regulars at a local family-owned Korean BBQ establishment. I love that place.

OMG! Yuko has eyes!

Comment by MrvlGrl (not verified) Tue, 05/17/2011 - 17:48

OMG! Yuko has eyes!

contacts?

Comment by Heidi (not verified) Tue, 05/17/2011 - 21:15

Where are her glasses?

contacts?

Comment by Heidi (not verified) Tue, 05/17/2011 - 21:15

Where are her glasses?

Temples

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Tue, 05/17/2011 - 22:28

They're there, just on a profile view you finally notice the temples are missing.

Which in fact has always been that way in the comic! :D

Regular Drinker

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Tue, 05/17/2011 - 17:49

I tend not to have a usual order because I like to always mix it up, but I've become enough of a regular at a few restaurants where they won't card me (even though they card everybody else).

A girl at the seafood place

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Tue, 05/17/2011 - 18:13

A girl at the seafood place down the street from my huse remembers I always get lemonade. It's nice to be remembered.

Other way around

Comment by Gate (not verified) Tue, 05/17/2011 - 18:41

See, when the folks at the starbucks I'm always at try making my order before I place it, I always end up getting something else(not intentionally, I just have...4 or 5 "usual" orders that I mix up based on mood). So it's cool that they know my name, but if they could somehow predict which of my usual orders I was getting that day I'd be a little creeped out!

Being a regular is pretty sweet

Comment by Noamuth (not verified) Tue, 05/17/2011 - 19:12

My favourite barrista at a cafe I go to know me pretty well by now.

It's gotten to the point where if she sees me in line, she'll make up my order, then get me to pay afterwards once the line has thinned out a little. I'm surprised her boss hasn't cracked it over that, but meh. XD

It's a nice feeling when they start to know you. Good customer service is win.

I'm a regular at the movie

Comment by Yume (not verified) Tue, 05/17/2011 - 19:58

I'm a regular at the movie theater of all places... one of the guys who works at the concession stand recognizes my roommate and I whenever we go. Evidently he doesn't live too far from us, either, because he ran into us at the grocery store and was like, "Diet Coke! Regular Coke! Hi!"

Pretty awesome.

This made me laugh :D Gotta

Comment by Dainty (not verified) Wed, 05/18/2011 - 06:49

This made me laugh :D Gotta love being known for your taste in beverages

After having been on the

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Tue, 05/17/2011 - 20:18

After having been on the other side of the counter for a few years, I don't really like being a regular.

There are good regulars and bad regulars... If you wanna be a good regular, just be polite and come in regularly (:

If you wanna be a bad regular... well, theres lots of ways to do that.

Yay, regulars!

Comment by Willow (not verified) Tue, 05/17/2011 - 20:39

There was a frozen yogurt place that I went to all the time during college because the staff were super nice. I always tipped well because of it. Then after nearly a year of going regularly, I found out that they had been giving me a discount the entire time!

Moral of the story: If you're going to be a regular, be a good one! Good things may come of it.

It's so very simple.

Comment by Aatar (not verified) Tue, 05/17/2011 - 21:05

Honestly, I think there are at least 4 different sandwich shops I'm technically a "Regular" at. In that they know my order on sight. The subway people remembered my order after a 6 month break. Maybe I'm just funny looking?

Your regular sushi order

Comment by Lisard (not verified) Tue, 05/17/2011 - 21:10

Your regular sushi order sounds exactly like mine. Are you vegetarian too?

I am!

Comment by Ananth Tue, 05/17/2011 - 21:25

I am!

I'm a regular at my local

Comment by Sharkupine (not verified) Tue, 05/17/2011 - 21:17

I'm a regular at my local Borders, to the point that they know my name. But that's only because they need it to announce my order in the cafe.

Regular at our local pizza place

Comment by CorruptDropbear (not verified) Tue, 05/17/2011 - 21:52

Our family is a regular at our local pizza place down the road. It's weird when the person on the phone goes "Oh, it's you. Yep, 15 minutes." and then hangs up.

Former Regular

Comment by Tristan (not verified) Tue, 05/17/2011 - 21:58

I used to be a regular at the Starbuck's near my old job. Then I got a new job and quit drinking daily coffee.

It was kind of nice to go back in when I was in the area a few months later and have the baristas actually be happy and excited to see me.

Those eyes!

Comment by Mike (not verified) Tue, 05/17/2011 - 22:02

is it just me or can you almost see his eyes ^_^***

Name

Comment by Matt (not verified) Tue, 05/17/2011 - 22:03

I dont mind if they know my name really, it shows that they remember more than just the order.

Amazing days

Comment by TheJesterGL (not verified) Tue, 05/17/2011 - 22:14

You seriously can't beat the day when you realize you are a regular. It's like becoming a family member of a restaurant

Its interesting to see what

Comment by huh, so thats what its like (not verified) Tue, 05/17/2011 - 22:27

Its interesting to see what customers think of this. Its like peeking back behind the curtain. I mean, I know people like being regulars, but generally I don't see them talk about it. I always felt bad for people who worked at cafes or fancier places that had waitstaff. I don't enjoy dealing with customers for obvious reasons.

I will say this, on the extremely rare occasion that I have a good regular, I very much enjoy having them there.

But... But!

Comment by Skie (not verified) Tue, 05/17/2011 - 23:16

But what if you ever decide to change?!

You'll blow their minds! :(

Be careful

Comment by fraoch (not verified) Wed, 05/18/2011 - 00:58

It only takes one bad experience to go from a regular to "Oh crap, not this guy again"

This happened to me at the

Comment by Shauna (not verified) Wed, 05/18/2011 - 03:11

This happened to me at the starbucks near my class a while ago, she was like "you want your venti white mocha with no whip cream" and I was like "uuuuh yeah thanks" I took it as a sign I go there too often rather than a good thing.

Comme d'habitude?

Comment by il biggo (not verified) Wed, 05/18/2011 - 04:12

Restaurant in Paris. The waiter comes to our table with a big smile and: "Bonsoir monsieur-dame. Moules à la crême et filet au poivre vert, comme d'habitude?"
We had been there, and had eaten exactly that, during a week-long vacation. Two years before o_O

WHOA! That's impressive. Or

Comment by Ananth Wed, 05/18/2011 - 14:09

WHOA! That's impressive. Or unsettling. Maybe both.

Yep .-) We were a little

Comment by il biggo (not verified) Thu, 05/19/2011 - 03:54

Yep .-)
We were a little shocked, but he simply stated he remembered us. "Les Suisses Italiens, n'est-ce pas?". Amazing. Some of the reception guys at my workplace still ask for my documents after seeing me every day for 20 years .-D

I'm a regular at 3 different

Comment by Yugosaki (not verified) Wed, 05/18/2011 - 05:06

I'm a regular at 3 different places. A sub place, a burger joint, and a thai food place.

It's starting to become a joke with my friends.

Aw, but my mom knows all the

Comment by Dainty (not verified) Wed, 05/18/2011 - 06:45

Aw, but my mom knows all the names of her favourite regulars at her restaurant :) They'll walk in and she'll be like 'hi [insert name here]! your regular spot? how's [insert name of kid, pet, sick relative or significant other here]?'

I don't understand how she does it <_<

I try to keep them on their

Comment by Katherine (not verified) Wed, 05/18/2011 - 07:32

I try to keep them on their toes. Every time they think they know what I'm going to order (and they're usually right) I just order something slightly different. Maybe I'll take two of something, or one less, or something else entirely!

Unless I don't actually have the time ofcourse. But I usually do =D

Darling...

Comment by Alison (not verified) Wed, 05/18/2011 - 07:40

Everyone remembers my last name because they think it's cute..."Darling"...so I guess I frequently cross that line through no fault of my own.

Waffles A La Mode

Comment by Joe (not verified) Wed, 05/18/2011 - 09:46

I used to be a regular at the diner in my neighborhood. The waitress wouldn't even ask me what I wanted to order, she'd just jump to asking what kind of ice cream I wanted on my waffles.

Haven't been there in a while. Wonder if it still works.

This.

Comment by Al Paradise (not verified) Wed, 05/18/2011 - 09:51

This is the best comic.

You know you spend too much time in coffee shops...

Comment by Dale (not verified) Wed, 05/18/2011 - 10:10

Forget names, I'm facebook friends a number of baristas from the coffee shops I hang out in. You know you spend too much time at a place when you start hanging out with the wait staff after place closes.

Haha

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Wed, 05/18/2011 - 15:31

Cuuuute

Mmnn

Comment by Dart (not verified) Wed, 05/18/2011 - 15:46

The sweet potato wrap sounds both delicious and mythical. Around these parts, any food that doesn't come from a fast food restaurant is greasy "soul food". I want to live in a place that has these kinds of foods!

I LOVE becoming a regular.

Comment by killerzane (not verified) Wed, 05/18/2011 - 16:51

I LOVE becoming a regular. Makes you feel like a man upon mice.

hahaha i love this too

Comment by Rose (not verified) Wed, 05/18/2011 - 17:10

the nearby subway staff knows me but not my order since I change it up. The subway owner/manager talkative bugger is always happy to see me talks about how everyone is so busy, slowest to prepare subs ever but he'll still make me a sub even if they're about to close or if you come in last half an hour he tends to give cookies.
Then the other two staff, the one woman normally never talks to any of the other customers but she'll actually small talk and smiles when she sees me. And the guy always powers through the people infront of me when I order.
So they're pretty sub-par with customer service to begin with for everybody but w/e is quick right? They're nice to me anyway :)

Oh man! Why couldn't you be

Comment by Mazelina (not verified) Wed, 05/18/2011 - 17:39

Oh man! Why couldn't you be going next weekend? That's when I'm in NYC!

My mom and our family became

Comment by Origamigryphon (not verified) Thu, 05/19/2011 - 06:48

My mom and our family became a local restaurant's 'family' when we discovered the place. It was called Sushi Time Towa, and no matter where we went we were always comparing it to 'our Towa.' They'd never know what we wanted to eat because we'd always be changing it up, but they always knew to bring the lot of us sweet green tea.

If we weren't around, mom would go and eat there by herself, often several times a week, and became good friends with the servers and the owner, and they'd always talk and have a good time, and welcome her like old friends.

Unfortunately, mom's health went downhill, and it was really sweet of them when they sent my mom a bouquet of flowers to her funeral in 2007. <3

Also unfortunately, since then, someone new came to own the restaurant, and I heard the service and the food has become sub-par since then. The end of an era..

I work at a grain store, and

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Thu, 05/19/2011 - 07:30

I work at a grain store, and we have a ton of regulars. Actually, most of our customers are regulars. After a few days I could already recognize a few, and a lot of them bring in their newborn puppies/pigs/goats/other animals to show the girls that work inside, because we absolutely lose our minds over them. Then there are the old landscapers that come in all the time and hit on us. It's pretty easy to tell which brings cute animals and which is creepy.
Moral of the story: Don't be creepy and we'll like you.

Today, two days after this

Comment by Mr. Crane (not verified) Thu, 05/19/2011 - 22:43

Today, two days after this comic was posted, I officially became a regular at a smoothie place I always go to. Guy knew my whole order. 8^D

Sweet Potato Roll?!! *A*

Comment by AkitaWan (not verified) Fri, 05/20/2011 - 09:45

Sweet Potato Roll?!! *A*

ALRIGHT

Comment by Suri (not verified) Sat, 05/21/2011 - 14:06

What place is this?! I must know! (sweet potato sweet potato sweet potato <3 <3 <3 )