Big Apple Comic Con this weekend!

The dog is a Weimaraner, and Lela's the only one who can say it. According to Wikipedia, the color of its fur also led to the nickname, "The Grey Ghost", which I'm down with. Because it's easier to say than Murmur ner mur.

We're at Big Apple Comic Con this weekend! We're over at Table 710 on the Main Floor, around the outside of the room - please come say hello! We'll have books and t-shirts - CMYcat and Hokusai tees - as well as prints and a few other things, including a vinyl Maw figurine! Here's a handy map:

Go here for an exhibitor list and floor maps.

The t-shirts will be up in the store next week, after the show. See you there!

Comments

Wiener marauder?

Comment by Hablabajabla (not verified) Thu, 05/19/2011 - 16:37

First of all, thanks for your amazing comic, and for making an effort to update quickly. Second, you're lucky I'm a Colombian Ananth, otherwise I would definitively see you at the comic-con and fight you over Yuko in a stare contest (I'm not a versatile man).

You're awesome!

Jeez, then you'd better not

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Thu, 05/19/2011 - 17:12

Jeez, then you'd better not even attempt Gewurztraminer! Which is quite tasty by the way.

I can say weimeraner!

Comment by Jenny (not verified) Thu, 05/19/2011 - 19:31

But I can't spell it.
Also, weimeraners are stupid dogs :| My friend has a weimeraner, and he's a total moron. She won't even admit that it's hers; she calls it her husband's dog. And he's not a special case. He's NORMAL.
I don't like weimeraners. They're sweet, but stupid.

Weimeraner!

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Thu, 05/19/2011 - 20:42

Think about how it's from Weimer and that makes it easier (if you like european history or the German language...). Also, apparently William Wegman's dogs were Weimeraners. :-D

Just saying...

Comment by Cheri (not verified) Thu, 05/19/2011 - 20:56

You guys,

This comic is just golden.

If I had money I'd be throwing it in your general direction.

Just saying.

It's easy to pronounce once

Comment by Alain (not verified) Thu, 05/19/2011 - 21:06

It's easy to pronounce once you know the trick.

Just think of the Weimar republic, which tried (and failed) to establish a democratic rule of law in Germany from 1919 to 1933. In 1933 Adolf Hitler and his nazis trampled the Weimar constitution and went on to exterminate the jews in Germany and in other areas invaded by Germany, like the Ukraine, which Samuel Sagan had already left in order to come to the USA and become the father of Carl Sagan.

That's the WEIMAR part.

And then you just add "AN".

And finally you add "URRR".

Easy when you know about Carl Sagan and his dad, right?

P.S. the comic was great fun

It should be VIE-MER-AN-UR

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Thu, 05/19/2011 - 21:14

It should be VIE-MER-AN-UR but no one in America says it right.

!

Comment by Trae (not verified) Thu, 05/19/2011 - 21:19

I was just thinking about this, as I've been reading a German book lately. "W"s in German are pronounced as "V"s, so it whould be Vie-mer-an-ur.
I personally don't get how people have trouble pronouncing words after hearing them. If you hear it, you know how it sounds, so how do you struggle with it?
Still, this page is excellent and adorable.

The linked wikipedia article

Comment by Number Seven (not verified) Thu, 05/19/2011 - 22:43

The linked wikipedia article uses v's in the pronunciation key.
Just saiyan.

I don't know where you got

Comment by Moriarty (not verified) Fri, 05/20/2011 - 04:21

I don't know where you got the idea that our "W"s always sound like your "v"'s, but it's certainly not accurate.

the "Wei" part sounds basically like you'd pronounce "why" without the h

Maybe not all the time, but

Comment by Geirskogul (not verified) Fri, 05/20/2011 - 06:42

Maybe not all the time, but in this case I assure you, it is pronounced with a VEE sound. VIE-mer-ah-nuhr.

Actually, no, it shouldn't

Comment by Deih (not verified) Fri, 05/20/2011 - 05:12

Actually, no, it shouldn't be vie.

Wai-mah-rahn-urh would be more correct...

How is this difficult? I

Comment by Number Seven (not verified) Fri, 05/20/2011 - 14:27

How is this difficult?
I looked it up.
Wikipedia uses "V"
Oxford American dictionary uses "W" as the primary, but "V" as secondary.
Oxford English uses "V" as the primary, with "W" as a secondary.
Apparently it's a waste of Merriam-Webster's College Desk edition's time.

You're all right, and therefore all very, very wrong for fighting about it instead of looking it up and bringing documented facts to the table. Good day.

Well, nice for you you

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Fri, 05/20/2011 - 16:28

Well, nice for you you looked up but I am german and I guess the ones who posted before me are also german, so we should know better how that german city is pronounced, right? weimar is pronunced like why-mar...you should believe the native speakers here ;)

Lord no. The native speakers

Comment by Number Seven (not verified) Fri, 05/20/2011 - 16:56

Lord no. The native speakers of a language are the worst possible representatives of it, as mind-boggling as that sounds. I refuse to believe that what the entire southern United States speaks is really English at all.

The problem stems from the fact that "natural" speakers often incorporate a lot of colloquialisms into their speech, it invariably becomes something other than what's academically true.

Which raises questions about whether a language is what it's so-called "proper" form is, or if it's what the average person uses to communicate, but to go there, then we'd have to take these rules as subjective.

And therefore the argument is still invalid, and still a waste of time.

I said "Good Day".

Should've been the

Comment by Number Seven (not verified) Fri, 05/20/2011 - 17:00

Should've been the possessive "its" up there. my bad.

why the shit would you argue

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Fri, 05/20/2011 - 23:40

why the shit would you argue about this at all

Because there are people

Comment by Number Seven (not verified) Mon, 05/23/2011 - 00:52

Because there are people that don't automatically take "argument" and mean "angry".

Discussing the merits of virtually anything can be an engaging intellectual exercise (even with the unwilling :) and uncovering truths, no matter how small, in genuinely enjoyable.

:D We have one of

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Thu, 05/19/2011 - 22:06

:D We have one of those!
Why-Mar-Ann-Ur.
They're supposed to be super-smart, but they're really ditzy and nervous around everything.
When ours was a puppy, we were walking her across the street when we realized--mid crosswalk--that she had all four brakes on. Turns out there was a PARKED motorcycle on the other side that was just "TOO SCAWWY D:" to walk towards.

Hahaha I've been pronouncing

Comment by Tine (not verified) Thu, 05/19/2011 - 22:52

Hahaha I've been pronouncing it why-mer-aye-mer since that's what my mom calls them. Lol it never even occurred to me that I've been saying it wrong all this time XD

Murmadurmur?

Comment by Skie (not verified) Thu, 05/19/2011 - 22:57

Murmadurmur?

going to have to agree with

Comment by Aube (not verified) Fri, 05/20/2011 - 00:06

going to have to agree with you on this one Ananth, that name is far too difficult so Grey Ghost is much better. Also seems like a less lethal omen than the Grim.

Dogs

Comment by Jessica (not verified) Fri, 05/20/2011 - 01:03

Haha, I'm totally like Lela: I name the breed of every animal I pass (this counts for everything from cows to goats to dogs to cats). My friends think I'm weird.

Aww Yuko's pronunciation

Comment by Kuragari (not verified) Fri, 05/20/2011 - 07:26

Aww Yuko's pronunciation difficulty is adorable! Good comic!

WYE-muh-RAW-nuh. because no

Comment by fyerhair (not verified) Fri, 05/20/2011 - 07:39

WYE-muh-RAW-nuh. because no one ever pronounces their 'r's anyway.

My mom always calls them 'Wegman dogs'. She had one for a while, named Grendel. He was a good dog, but oh so nervous. Everything was dangerous, everything needed barking at. Why couldn't we poor humans UNDERSTAND?

OHGOD,SQUIRREL!*barkbarkbarkbarkbarkBARK*

We had a dog named Grendel

Comment by Cube (not verified) Tue, 05/24/2011 - 13:40

We had a dog named Grendel too! Except it was a Keeshond and also a female.

Lela.

Comment by Al Paradise (not verified) Fri, 05/20/2011 - 09:10

Give her the dogs. Give her all the dogs.

I like that you spell grey

Comment by Ruzzy (not verified) Fri, 05/20/2011 - 09:13

I like that you spell grey with an e. :D
Thank you for the comic!

Wow, the people calling

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Fri, 05/20/2011 - 09:20

Wow, the people calling their weimaraners nervous but stupid animals are making me cringe.

This is a glimpse into my life sometimes. I have a weimaraner. People ask me what he is, I tell them, and then can see the film sliding over their eyes as they try to figure out what I just said.

"What kind of dog is that?"
"Weimaraner."
"Whymawhutter?"
"Weimaraner."
"weemurunner?"
"Weimaraner."
"wmmmwrnewmmwmr?"

Well, they're definitely not

Comment by Jessica (not verified) Mon, 05/23/2011 - 14:58

Well, they're definitely not stupid, but they are a high energy breed which can make them very nervous in some situations. I work in a vet's office, so if a breed is going to have nervous tendencies, I'm going to see it, and all of the weimaraners I've met have been insanely nervous (and they bark in such painful ways...owie).
They're very sweet though.

Mine isn't stupid OR nervous. <_<o

Comment by Roketto (not verified) Mon, 05/23/2011 - 15:14

I have a Weimaraner, & it kills me when people say they're stupid or destructively energetic. -_-x My dog is a rescue, who was thrown away because whoever bought her couldn't handle a large breed of dog with high energy & high intelligence.

Weimaraners were bred to run ahead of the hunter & make their own decisions when hunting prey. That intellect is often what gets them in trouble when their owners don't provide them an outlet. It can also lead to neuroticism, which can be misdiagnosed as "the dog is acting dumb again, why won't it shut up/quit chewing the shoes/insert other annoying behavior here?"

My dog is a well-behaved, well-trained animal, because I work hard with her to keep her balanced & happy.

My sister is part of a Weimaraner rescue group, & has 2 big males herself. I got Hazel from her after she'd given a dog to every neighbor within a 15-mile radius, lol.

About the mispronunciation thing, I have the same problem with people saying Weemaranger or other hilariously wrong pronunciations. So, I taught Hazel a trick. If I say, "Hazel, what breed are you?", she goes, "Wah-mah-rah-naaa" ^___^ After that, nobody mispronounces it.

B-but ... it's

Comment by Tawreh (not verified) Fri, 05/20/2011 - 10:41

B-but ... it's VYE-mah-rai-ner ;_;
not why!!

Mannamana?

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Fri, 05/20/2011 - 12:29

Mannamana?

Derburger

Comment by Coffeepillow (not verified) Fri, 05/20/2011 - 13:11

Reminds me of the bit from the Pink Panther remake with Steve Martin where he's trying to say "hamburger."

I prefer to just not say any Germanic words. "Hey look, a dog of discernible species, which I am apathetic towards learning."

I can never remember what

Comment by Teresa (not verified) Fri, 05/20/2011 - 15:02

I can never remember what they're called. Instead, every time I see one on the street, I get excited and say "It's one of those people-dogs from Sesame Street! :D"

nice to know someone still

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Fri, 05/20/2011 - 15:12

nice to know someone still watches jerry louis

Actually Yuko has a pretty ironic humor and doesn't know

Comment by Lucas (not verified) Sat, 05/21/2011 - 09:06

Well,

If you consider that Scooby Doo is a Weimaraner AND that Yuko's attempt to say the word, actually "sounded" a lot like Scooby gibberish...

...she was only trying to humor Lela! (wink!)

^.^

Great comics guys!

Actually, Scooby Doo is a

Comment by MissKacey (not verified) Sat, 05/21/2011 - 11:23

Actually, Scooby Doo is a Great Dane!

Hey, are you guys gonna be

Comment by FanwhowantstoseeyouguysatCC (not verified) Sat, 05/21/2011 - 18:19

Hey, are you guys gonna be at SDCC? Cuz I missed you guys last year, and I really wanna make up for it dis year >_<

Well I figured since I met you in person...

Comment by HM-Alyx (not verified) Sat, 05/21/2011 - 23:23

I might as well finally comment. Btw, I'm the fluffy, overheating, Alyx Vance that popped by. I really should pay attention to what you write UNDER the comic more often. Sure I read it, but I didn't connect the dots when I saw "ComicCon" and my boyfriend said "Hey, we're going to ComicCon tomorrow" (we live in the area). When I saw you guys I was like "Oh, hey, I'm going to go sound like a silly fangirl now.". Still, the shirt is awesome, the fabric is very comfortable and I am quite impressed with the print quality. :3 Thanks for being friendly guys!

As opposed to...

Comment by Peter N. Trinh (not verified) Sun, 05/22/2011 - 11:18

...THIS Grey Ghost?

My friend Paul introduced

Comment by Procrastinator (not verified) Sun, 05/22/2011 - 16:57

My friend Paul introduced this to me in Spanish class on his Nook (which almost got me in-trouble because I laughed so hard and had to conceal it against my hand). I had been reading it non stop ever since. I love it!

Bawww

Comment by Runic (not verified) Sun, 05/22/2011 - 22:27

I missed you guys at the con today! Noooooooo! I wanted to say hello and I had some questions. ;_;

I spent the last two days at

Comment by Raegan (not verified) Sun, 05/22/2011 - 22:31

I spent the last two days at a dog show, and spend a lot of time with dogs and dogfolk in general, and even we aren't entirely sure how to pronounce it.

Why is everyone spelling the pronunciation so awkwardly?

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Mon, 05/23/2011 - 08:50

Why-mur-eye-ner.

I see them every once in a while at work, and I've known the name for longer.

Also, I lol that people are arguing with people FROM GERMANY on how to say it. That's pretty ridiculous.

It's not ridiculous when any

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Tue, 05/24/2011 - 04:48

It's not ridiculous when any textbook on learning German or German dictionary has a pronunciation guide that doesn't give an alternate pronunciation of "w". Native speakers are often the most lax with rules on pronunciation and grammar, because they learn the language less formally.

Even if people say it with a "w" sound, the formal pronunciation of "w" is a "v" sound; if I had to take a guess why locals are pronouncing it as "w", I'd say that at some point, there was a cultural influx of people who wouldn't accept w=v, and instead constantly corrected the locals on how to pronounce their own words, until it finally stuck.

well, you say natives are

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Tue, 05/24/2011 - 15:46

well, you say natives are lax with pronunciation but language is not only a set of rules... that the actual use of language can differ from the set of rules of a language is a common thing in any language... and the native speakers are the ones whose language use have influence on the change of language itself. especially when it comes to names the set of rules does not matter at all. there are also city names in the english language where the actual pronunciation has nothing to do with the set of rules... just think about worcester, it is not pronounced as you would usually pronounce it just because you know the set of rules of english.... the weimarer republic is a topic dealt so often in germany that no one who is german can pronounce it wrong. you learn about it in 7th grade, it comes up in 9th grade and in 12th grade. also a lot of documentaries deal with it and it is always pronounced the same. you cannot miss that topic in germany. so we germans know how that city is pronounced, everyone here says it the same way. even if it does not match the set of rules, that does not matter because the actual use of language has made weimar into why-mar

Murrmurr mur mur?

Comment by Mel (not verified) Wed, 05/25/2011 - 08:47

I'm learning German and Yuko's pronunciations remind me of how I feel trying to parrot German back to my girlfriend (who is german). My big issue is I can't pronounce the arrrrrrs enough.

Thats Hilarious

Comment by Inukitsy (not verified) Tue, 06/14/2011 - 13:30

I have actually been doing this recently cause my mom wants to get one of these for my stepdad and I cant say it T__T

Wmurmurmurur

Comment by Shellie (not verified) Thu, 06/30/2011 - 18:00

So I read this a while back & yesterday I actually met one of those dogs! He was less than a year old, huge, and totally nuts! I couldn't say the name either, though I asked them to repeat it about a million times. The first thing I thought of when I heard the name was this post though :P