Be cool

Be cool

Thu, 06/23/2011 - 15:40 by Ananth in response to should have learned flag semaphore

This happens every once in a while - you can run into people with surprising frequency in NYC. Opposite platforms of a subway station is a terrible place to have a conversation, though ... you just yell and say WHAT? a lot and then you check your phone and pretend like you don't know each other. Be cool bro ... be cool.

We just received the new batch of Catmera charms! They'll be up next week.

Any good bike maintenance websites out there? I think I need to replace my brake pads, thems is all squeaky.

Have a rad weekend, see you next week!

Comments

COOOOOOOOONRAAAAAAAAAAAAAD D:

Comment by Kilimbo (not verified) Thu, 06/23/2011 - 15:52

I missed you so much D;

Try the soul cycles website? I'm not sure, I just take my bike into the shop and let complete strangers fix it for me.

But I've been here all

Comment by conrad Thu, 06/23/2011 - 16:48

But I've been here all along! :D

Nice

Comment by blank playing cards (not verified) Mon, 06/27/2011 - 00:23

Good site with good comments is here.Please keep commenting for all viewers.

Bike repair

Comment by Nick (not verified) Thu, 06/23/2011 - 15:59

Love the comic! I'm rather new to it, but I read your guys' entire archive in one night! Keep up the good work!

on the other note, bicycletutor.com has videos that can teach you how to fix almost anything on a bike.... :D

By the time you're done

Comment by Jon Mohr (not verified) Thu, 06/23/2011 - 16:01

By the time you're done reading about it you will have upgraded to "semaphive."

http://sheldonbrown.com/ is

Comment by shiny_things (not verified) Thu, 06/23/2011 - 16:48

is pretty much the bible of DIY bicyclery. There are others that are more professional-looking, or more easily navigable, but probably not more comprehensive or weird.

That's quiet surprising

Comment by Aube (not verified) Thu, 06/23/2011 - 16:56

That's quiet surprising considering the size of the city, but then cool people attract cool people so it's bound to happen. You should try playing charades from across the platforms, that would be fun.

I hate when people don't get this..

Comment by ColdFusion (not verified) Thu, 06/23/2011 - 17:41

I ask them to speak up when we're outside and they get mad or carry on speaking softly and assuming I can hear them..
then when I speak up they ask why I'm 'speaking in that tone' or something.. well I can't raise my volume very well anymore so they just ignore me.

Bike

Comment by marxalot (not verified) Thu, 06/23/2011 - 17:51

If the brakes are squeak/squealing, check first for wear on the pads (the easy thing it can be), and then check to see if they're leaving dark rub marks on your rims: the wheels may be going out of true, and unbalanced wheels make everything go funny. bikewebsite.com has a thorough, if graphically unfortunate, repair and upkeep guide.

Is it weird...

Comment by Brendan (not verified) Thu, 06/23/2011 - 18:11

That I die a little every time Ananth says "Have a weekend" because it means I must wait four days until the next comic.

...But why not just send

Comment by Willow (not verified) Thu, 06/23/2011 - 18:55

...But why not just send text messages? They are godsends in exceptionally noisy (or quiet) places!

There's no signal in NYC

Comment by Ananth Thu, 06/23/2011 - 19:02

There's no signal in NYC subway stations, actually! DC's subway system has a contract with Verizon, so it's possible.

In that case, checking your

Comment by saskia (not verified) Fri, 06/24/2011 - 14:08

In that case, checking your phone trying to look cool is actually a kind of dorky action... lol!

The solution is simple.

Comment by Kilimbo (not verified) Fri, 06/24/2011 - 17:53

Just bring about 20-30 large placards and a marker with you every time you go to a subway and write on them for messaging. Or cover rocks with paper and throw them. Your choice.

Will you guys have the

Comment by Marie (not verified) Thu, 06/23/2011 - 19:14

Will you guys have the Catmera earrings again anytime soon? I would really like a pair! :)

Haha! This happens all the

Comment by RikaNeko (not verified) Thu, 06/23/2011 - 19:18

Haha! This happens all the time whenever I see relatives or friends across platforms. Usually we end up miming our conversations and looking like crazy people, but THAT'S OKAY.

Charades

Comment by CastNuri (not verified) Thu, 06/23/2011 - 21:12

I agree with Aube, charades should have been the next step in metro-gap communication!

Bikes are like children

Comment by SharkFinSoupLove (not verified) Thu, 06/23/2011 - 21:12

I have a bike that likes doign the same.. we checked re-checked and even unscrewed the damned brakes.. they were perfectly fine and even oil did nothing.. so its taken a liking to whining at me.. or.. its just fussy. wish i could ride it now since the tired decided to like.. die ><;

Actually oiling your brakes

Comment by Tim (not verified) Sat, 06/25/2011 - 09:05

Actually oiling your brakes is about the worst thing you can do. It will just make the pads slide along the rim and won't give you any braking power. Also, oil isn't particularly good for the rubber in the pads. If your brakes are squeaky, it usually means the brake pads have been worn (or they're brand new and not worn in at all), or the pads aren't aligned to the rim correctly.

There are a few ways to quick fix the pads... one method is to take rough sandpaper (even emery paper) and scrape the side of the brake pad that grips the rim until it is rough. Another trick I learned from working at a bike shop was that sometimes flipping the brakes helps; take the left pad and switch it with the right pad.

The most probable cause of squeaking is actually that the rim and pad aren't aligned. Aligning brakes yourself is doable, but can take a little bit of fiddling and time. It may be best to just take it to a bike shop, or to someone who has some experience working on bikes. Aside from the issues I mentioned, the pads may just be too old or damaged, and you would just need to get new pads

the more I look at conrad in

Comment by Zak (not verified) Fri, 06/24/2011 - 00:56

the more I look at conrad in this comic, the more he looks like Doug Funny wearing a toupee

You get this kind of stuff

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Fri, 06/24/2011 - 08:12

You get this kind of stuff at the Supermarket, those awkward moments where you meet your friends in public.

You don't hang out and go food shopping together, you go off on your own little ways. But you'll keep occasionally bump into each other, and you have to pretend you're more interested in the food you're buying than your buddy. And you linger around the store in awkwardness.

Sign Language. It's the Wave

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Fri, 06/24/2011 - 08:14

Sign Language. It's the Wave of the FUTURE.

Omg! Yes! It's the next step

Comment by Hikki536 (not verified) Fri, 06/24/2011 - 09:59

Omg! Yes! It's the next step to Telepathy!

Or wait, another way to do it is communicate via texting across the platform! That's an idea!

And I suddenly thought

Comment by Yraelis (not verified) Fri, 06/24/2011 - 10:57

Its either sign language or reverting back to the telegraph or light signals (like ponyo our something ;D) for me.

What about smoke signals?

Comment by hohhoi (not verified) Sat, 06/25/2011 - 06:59

What about smoke signals? Could be quite a sight in the subway.

For sure!

Comment by Adrean Clark (not verified) Fri, 06/24/2011 - 15:52

If you guys learn ASL, it's like a superpower. You can talk over long distances and even through glass! ;D

I second this. Sign

Comment by Julie M. (not verified) Sat, 06/25/2011 - 06:16

I second this. Sign language is an amazing superpower to have! Especially communicating over train platforms or through windows or to other cars or in loud clubs or almost any other situation where you can see the person but not hear them. Yuko went to high school with one of my deaf colleagues, Paul Guo (his comic here: http://san.paulguo.com/) . I am also deaf. I noticed his comic drawing style of me and my friends was somewhat similar to Yuko's and pointed this out to him, which is how I found out he went to HS with Yuko. Pretty cool, it's a small world after all! Oh yea. American Sign Language (ASL). Learn it and you shall be invincible!!!

well gosh

Comment by J-chan (not verified) Fri, 06/24/2011 - 11:45

I was on vacation in NYC and I didn't run into you at all. WHAT'S THE DEAL, GUYS.

Did Something Happen To Conrad?

Comment by Gatcha (not verified) Fri, 06/24/2011 - 15:35

You guys barely put him in comics anymore D: Did he move out??

http://sheldonbrown.com/ http

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Fri, 06/24/2011 - 18:31

And youtube has a good number of bike maintenance videos as well.

Fallen

Comment by Brian (not verified) Fri, 06/24/2011 - 22:51

This is for Yuko.
I was and still is fan of your webcomic Fallen.
Any chance of resuming the story?

Brian

Another website

Comment by Lukasz (not verified) Sun, 06/26/2011 - 19:58

http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Content_10052_10551_-1_HowtoGuides This one seems legit. It's from an actual web store (though it's not cheap!). Tell me how the brake pads thing goes. I need new ones as well but haven't had the time to get around that lately.

You folks are still doing an

Comment by mcguinty (not verified) Mon, 06/27/2011 - 05:28

You folks are still doing an amazing job! Your work really is quite inspiring.

First off, I love the comic.

Comment by Scott (not verified) Tue, 06/28/2011 - 11:29

First off, I love the comic. The art style and the stories you tell with it mesh together perfectly. I've read the archives...twice? Yeah, that sounds about right, let's go with it. My favorite stories by far are Death and Cecilia, those two crazy kids.

Second, semaphore is surprisingly easy to pick up. I learned it in about a week from someone who barely knew more than me. You just have to, you know, stick with it, or all memory of it is erased...

So yeah, awesome comic as always!

aw

Comment by nalem (not verified) Mon, 07/04/2011 - 12:37

this makes me sad. :( I always hated that about the subway.

Sign language works really

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Mon, 07/11/2011 - 15:18

Sign language works really well for communicating over distances. Also, when your mouth is full or when you're on opposite sides of a window.

When sign language is not enough

Comment by Amake (not verified) Fri, 12/09/2011 - 10:30

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eurythmy includes a sign-alphabet made with your entire arms. (A is raising your arms into a V shape, B is hugging an invisible person, etc.) I learned it in school, and it's come in useful exactly one time: When mountain climbing, my group was able to talk with another group while standing on two neighboring mountaintops.

It'd probably be more useful if people in general had even heard of it, but.