Books!

Books!

Tue, 06/28/2011 - 16:22 by Ananth in response to a few of my favorite things 1

We've been sitting on this one for a while! These are the things we notice when we're out and about, especially Yuko. Admittedly, the super tough Dora the Explorer guy with his daughter was heart-meltingly cute ... his daughter skipped along holding his hand, and he had to jog a little to keep up. Aw.

I finished the existing Song of Ice and Fire books. My assessments (no spoilers, and keep them out of the comments as well please):

• Game of Thrones - Fun, fresh! Enjoyed it.
  • Clash of Kings - Okay, it had the momentum of Game of Thrones working for it.
  • Storm of Swords - Easily my favorite book of the series. The last half is like being on a log flume, but instead of water there's blood, and you're screaming but it's tough to tell if it's because the drop is so high or that the other passengers are trying to kill you.
  • Feast for Crows - Just didn't grab me. I finished it, but it was a slog. I know it was originally part of a bigger book that was split in half, so I'm looking forward to reading the other (hopefully better) half.
  • I talked about Game of Thrones a little more in-depth on Tumblr, but I've found that a lot of the things that I liked about GoT (like the brevity) disappeared in later volumes.

I'm reading Hunger Games now - I'm only a chapter and a half in, but I love it so far.

What're you guys reading? Something good I hope! See you Thursday.

Comments

Yay reading!

Comment by Neesee (not verified) Tue, 06/28/2011 - 16:26

I've been working on Street Gang: The Complete History of Sesame Street. I'm liking it so far but I keep getting sidetracked by video games and other things. I should set aside some time strictly for book reading now that I think of it.

another note

Comment by Neesee (not verified) Tue, 06/28/2011 - 16:27

Guys with cute/girly things, not giving a care about it, I love it!

Books!

Comment by Kosciej (not verified) Tue, 06/28/2011 - 16:27

Since Yuko is nerdy and likes Carl Sagan, I'd check out Neil DeGrasse Tyson's books, like Death by Black Hole. They're funny and interesting, and very science-y! Also, A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson is also fantastic.

Best Description ever

Comment by Kijafa (not verified) Tue, 06/28/2011 - 16:31

That's the best description of A Storm of Swords I've ever read. Consider it stolen

The Redemption of Althalus

Comment by hohhoi (not verified) Tue, 06/28/2011 - 16:33

The Redemption of Althalus by David and Leigh Eddings, if I remember correctly. I recommend it. I'm also reading some of Sven Hassel's war books.(or rather, I'm re-reading them. Yes I read the whole series.)

High five. Althalus is

Comment by Jade Carver (not verified) Thu, 06/30/2011 - 21:28

High five. Althalus is awesome. Hmm, I haven't re-read that in a couple months...

Read-emption of Awesomeness

Comment by Miss GreenDream (not verified) Mon, 07/04/2011 - 19:31

Yay, Redemption of Althalus! Easily one of my favorite books. It's a nice long story that never disappoints -- always interesting, superb characters, and excellent use of the passage of time!

My other favorites would have to be Sabriel(the trilogy), Job: A Comedy of Justice, and Stranger in a Strange Land.

Current read

Comment by ColonelStudmuffin (not verified) Tue, 06/28/2011 - 16:45

Aww, I love this comic. It makes me squee! :D Yuko is one of my favorite comic artists by far--I love your style.
My current book is The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime. I picked it up for the odd title and have not been disappointed.
However, I suggest The Windup Girl if you haven't read it. I lost a lot of sleep reading that book.

Windup Girl was amazing! It

Comment by beauvoir (not verified) Wed, 06/29/2011 - 18:45

Windup Girl was amazing! It was definitely one of those books that makes you re-evaluate whether you actually need to sleep or not.

O_O I read the little

Comment by Regular Polyhedra (not verified) Sun, 07/03/2011 - 16:00

O_O I read the little preview bit that amazon has and man, DO WANT. <3 thanks!

Feast for Crows

Comment by Ken (not verified) Tue, 06/28/2011 - 16:47

It is likely FfC was a slog for one large reason: It is about the least liked characters in the story. GRRM split the 'book' he was writing into to parts. Not sure why it took him 5 years to write the second part, though. 5th book coming out next month!

Part of why it took so long

Comment by Matt (not verified) Tue, 06/28/2011 - 18:17

Part of why it took so long was that he completely scrapped everything he had for the 5th book at one point and started over. Then he had to fight through a particularly tough and politically complex segment that he calls the "Meeraneese Knot"(too lazy to find out if that's spelled right). Combine all that with editing a few anthologies and writing for the Game of Thrones show, and it's not surprising that the book took him so long.

On Hunger Games

Comment by AletheiaAgape (not verified) Tue, 06/28/2011 - 16:49

Great 1st book, but it goes slightly downhill from there...not that you should stop, but make sure to restrain your expectations.

It felt like a band that used all their best stuff from years of work on their First album, then rushed the second one out a year later. Still, you're happy to have more even if it's of lesser quality.

Seconded.

Comment by Kist (not verified) Tue, 06/28/2011 - 17:34

Seconded.

Books

Comment by ☆KYUU (not verified) Tue, 06/28/2011 - 16:53

I'm currently reading The Science of Evil by Simon Baron-Cohen. Basically it's talking about why people are 'evil'. But instead of using the word evil, he uses 'empathy', or the lack thereof, using that (along with studies of the brain) to explain why people can do 'cruel things' (e.g. concentration camp experiments/etc. and Josef Frtizel). It's really interesting if you're into neurology, or like to read about cases where people have no empathy. XD;

Tough dude, tiny dog syndrom

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Tue, 06/28/2011 - 16:53

I love seeing tough guys on the street walking the teeny, fluffy dogs--always hilariouis!
Pathfinder by Orson Scott Card is a seriously good one--although, anything by him is good. Makes you think :)

books!

Comment by minimus-minor (not verified) Tue, 06/28/2011 - 17:00

I'm reading Johnny Wander, Unsounded, Shortpacked! and Twokinds. That's webcomics.

In terms of print, I'm reading Scott McCloud's Making Comics, and the Scott Pilgrim series.

Great work anyways.

Reading Dark Lord of

Comment by Pemm (not verified) Tue, 06/28/2011 - 17:14

Reading Dark Lord of Derkholm here, by Diana Wynne Jones.

She's quite a good author, though I confess a good part of the reason I'm so engaged is because half the main characters are griffins and that excites me.

I love that book!! There is

Comment by Sai (not verified) Tue, 06/28/2011 - 23:51

I love that book!! There is at least one sequel that focuses on the griffins.

I am so sad that Diana Wynne Jones died :((

Oh snap, gryphons? I'd

Comment by Origamigryphon (not verified) Thu, 06/30/2011 - 07:35

Oh snap, gryphons? I'd better snatch this up. I haven't read a good story with gryphon main characters since The Mage Wars trilogy by Mercedes Lackey (The Black Gryphon, The White Gryphon, and The Silver Gryphon)!

Crestomanci

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Thu, 06/30/2011 - 15:13

is my favorite series,but I'll read Howl's Moving Castle over and over again until I can recite it by heart, like the first Harry Potter book.

Crack books

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Tue, 06/28/2011 - 17:34

If you think GoT is book crack, you aren't ready for the level of illicit drugs crystallized in the Hunger Games series, thou I do think GoT was a more rewarding read over-all.

if only

Comment by PeteCarroll (not verified) Tue, 06/28/2011 - 18:26

if Suzanne would just tighten up her writing quality, Hunger Games would be way better. Especially having just read stuff from GRRM.

I read The Hunger Games

Comment by Ashton (not verified) Tue, 06/28/2011 - 17:36

I read The Hunger Games because I read somewhere that it was similar to Battle Royale by Koushun Takami (which is one of my favorite books of all time).

So, I purchased the first book in the series and read it overnight. The next day I had to immediately buy the second and third books because I was hooked. It was one of those series where after I read it I wanted more.

As for what I'm currently reading... I'm just over halfway finished with The Stand by Stephen King. It's very long (especially the uncut edition!), but very very good.

I've been rereading books

Comment by Jade (not verified) Tue, 06/28/2011 - 18:27

I've been rereading books lately! At the moment I'm rereading the Old Kingdom Trilogy by Garth Nix and remembering how much I loved Sabriel. :D

This comic reminds me of the shelter I used to work at. There was this tiny, tiny teacup pomeranian named, predictably enough, Princess. She was adopted almost immediately but the person who was taking her couldn't pick her up until the next day. There was different staff the next day and this MASSIVE biker guy comes to the front desk and asks to see Princess, and we told him she'd already been adopted. And he told us that he was the one taking her home, and he had a little pink collar with spikes for her. :D It was ridiculous and adorable.

Dudedudedude! I love

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Tue, 06/28/2011 - 20:06

Dudedudedude! I love Sabriel. It's one of those books that I'm always going to reread every few years.

The Old Kingdom Trilogy is

Comment by Noni (not verified) Sun, 07/03/2011 - 12:02

The Old Kingdom Trilogy is one of my favorite series of all time! :D Just fantastic, Garth Nix is amazing at world building.

Youd read this.

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Tue, 06/28/2011 - 18:55

You should read The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss. It is very, very good and the book won't let you put it down if you start it.

Seconded! If you like GRRM,

Comment by Althris (not verified) Wed, 06/29/2011 - 10:57

Seconded! If you like GRRM, I think you will like Patrick Rothfuss a lot. Name of the Wind is great, and the sequel is almost as good (slogs down a bit in parts).

Thirded!

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Wed, 07/13/2011 - 15:10

Yes, be prepared to sit up all night reading it and then wonder why you're so hungry as you watch the sun rise through your bedroom window.

I've yet to read those books

Comment by C. Ellis (not verified) Tue, 06/28/2011 - 18:56

I've yet to read those books (they're on my 'next up' list of things to do), so the mini-review and no spoilers is much appreciated. :D

There's a tough guy in my neighborhood that walks his pekinese every day. I asked him about it once, and it turns out the dog is his, not his girl's. :P Makes me go :D every time.

I haven't been able to get

Comment by Pete (not verified) Tue, 06/28/2011 - 19:12

I haven't been able to get into GAME OF THRONES, but I think that I may give it another chance.

But I am currently reading Simon Pegg's "NERD DO WELL" and Brian Wood's DMZ, this is all on top of my weekly comic books.

I absolutely loved this comic, I always notice these things and it is awesome to see tough guys in cutesy situations. Keep up the fantastic work, I absolutely LOVE your site and all the strips you have amounted thus far.

Just read those myself

Comment by Anonymous (Zoe) (not verified) Tue, 06/28/2011 - 19:14

I just finished the whole Game of Thrones series, as I work in a video game company and it seems to be required (and awesome) reading material. I also just read the Hunger Games, which I also loved, and am surprised to hear its being made into a movie very soon.

I don't know about you, but because I read GoT so recently, I'm actually holding off on watching the series (even though its supposed to be really good), just because I want to mull in my own thoughts a little more before seeing someone else's interpretation.

Bolano's Skating Rink then comes the Robopocalypse....

Comment by Tsarstepan (not verified) Tue, 06/28/2011 - 19:14

I'm going to give Roberto Bolano's short novel Skating Rink one more try before putting it back on the shelf before diving eyes first into Daniel Wilson's Robopocalypse!!

I'm currently rereading the

Comment by WSTopDeck (not verified) Tue, 06/28/2011 - 19:19

I'm currently rereading the Dragonriders of Pern series, and I'd also recommend the Green Rider series by Kristen Britain and the Witches of Eileanan by Kate Forsyth. I tend to be picky about my fantasy/s-f, I usually need some sort of animal involvement to draw me in initially unless recommended by someone else. XD

Also re-reading Dragonriders

Comment by Origamigryphon (not verified) Thu, 06/30/2011 - 07:37

Also re-reading Dragonriders of Pern! Wooo for science fiction disguised as fantasy!

mmmuurrrrrrrr<3

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Thu, 06/30/2011 - 15:11

I own ALL of them. My poor bookshelf.

Books!

Comment by Drew (not verified) Tue, 06/28/2011 - 19:26

Yeah, I just finished the Song of Ice and Fire series today myself, and I pretty much agree with your analysis. Now I'm moving on to Burton and Swinburne in The Curious Case of the Clockwork Man by Mark Hodder.

Hilariously enough my mom,

Comment by Katie (not verified) Tue, 06/28/2011 - 19:45

Hilariously enough my mom, who is totally not a scifi person really, out of the blue told me she was reading the Hunger Games last night.. I'm trying to read through the Sookie Stackhouse novels in between working on 5 million paintings while my husband is blazing through all of the GoT books.

I just reread the Dresden

Comment by Gryph (not verified) Tue, 06/28/2011 - 19:48

I just reread the Dresden Files by Jim Butcher (love 'em) in preparation for the new book next month, and now I'm participating in the public library's adult summer reading program (the prize is a Nook!) and that means reading books from other countries, so I'm reading a collection of short stories by Tolstoy (it's not exactly the Dresden files).

Yep, starting to reread this

Comment by Gale (not verified) Wed, 06/29/2011 - 22:10

Yep, starting to reread this series myself. The first one was good, the 2nd better, and from the third book on it becomes my favorite series of all time. I highly recommend it.

Jim Butcher

Comment by Okami Umbra (not verified) Thu, 06/30/2011 - 01:38

I greatly enjoy the Dresden Files as well. <3 Just finished Summer Knight. And the Dresden Files is a great way to get a feel of that gritty detective feel, with a bit of magic. *hand gesture*

Jim Butcher is a great author all around.

In fact, I'd recommend his other Series The Codex Alera. *nodnod* Very great series. It had me on the edge the whole way through.

Codex Alera

Comment by ohetoki (not verified) Fri, 07/01/2011 - 18:56

I second this without reservation. I'm just about to start on 'First Lord's Fury' as soon as I finish Stephen R. Lawhead's 'Hood'. Butcher starts out strong in the series and 3,000 pages later it seems like you're running a marathon at a flat-out sprint.

I saw someone post on 'The Windup Girl' by Paolo Bacigalupi which is sorta steampunk and very good. Good steampunk recommendations I've recently read, since they seem to be saturating the Sci-Fi/Fantasy section shelves of popular book sellers include:

Gail Carriger's series 'The Parasol Protectorate' sooo funny; Carriger's dry wit and unique heroine disarms the socially-enforced horridness of actually being a Victorian-age woman.

Mark Hodder's 'Burton and Swinburne in...' '...The Strange Affair of Spring-Heeled Jack' and '...The Curious Case of the Clockwork Man'. They're a fun romp and at the same time address some of the concerns of the impact of technology on society.

Have just finished reading:

Comment by Sasquatch (not verified) Tue, 06/28/2011 - 19:49

All 54 Weld 1 & 2 modules by S.A.I.T with help from the Alberta Apprenticeship board in the last 6 months.

They were marvelous!

I'm reading Enchantment by

Comment by meanderling (not verified) Tue, 06/28/2011 - 20:01

I'm reading Enchantment by Orson Scott Card. It's really good! And much less disturbing than some of the Card stuff out there. I read Songmaster at an impressionable age... *shudder* Now I have to find out what Game of Thrones is about.

Also the comic is adorable!

BOOKS WOO

Comment by Bagz (not verified) Tue, 06/28/2011 - 20:01

First time commenter! wooo!

I've been reading The Obsidian Trilogy Recently. I picked it up after I stumbled on ( and subsequently read through with great enjoyment ) it's sister series The Enduring Flame trilogy. Can't say much about the Obsidian series as a whole yet, but I enjoyed the first book. The Enduring Flame was wonderful all the way through, The whole world take the classical fantasy setting and turns does some crazy things with it. I recommend it to all.

I like those things too.

Comment by Awesome Music Vids (not verified) Tue, 06/28/2011 - 20:32

I like those things too. Great comic you guys, JW just gets better and better! And I look forward to the second part of this series too.

Kingkiller FTW

Comment by Gweetus (not verified) Tue, 06/28/2011 - 20:49

I'll second a reco to read The Name of the Wind, and the Wise Mans Fear. Right now I'm reading the Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch, which I've listened to in audiobook format, but the dead tree version really comes alive in my mind, I just wish Mr. Lynch wasn't pulling a GRRM on his turnaround.

that totally could have been

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Tue, 06/28/2011 - 20:56

that totally could have been the dude's own dog. what if he likes tiny dogs? just saying.

Tiny Dogs

Comment by Mel (not verified) Wed, 06/29/2011 - 09:46

Yeah I knew a big bearded biker who had the most adorable little fluffy chihuahua. Dude loved that tiny little doggie. Always put bows on her and everything.