Books!

Books!

Tue, 06/28/2011 - 16:22 by Ananth in response to a few of my favorite things 1

We've been sitting on this one for a while! These are the things we notice when we're out and about, especially Yuko. Admittedly, the super tough Dora the Explorer guy with his daughter was heart-meltingly cute ... his daughter skipped along holding his hand, and he had to jog a little to keep up. Aw.

I finished the existing Song of Ice and Fire books. My assessments (no spoilers, and keep them out of the comments as well please):

• Game of Thrones - Fun, fresh! Enjoyed it.
  • Clash of Kings - Okay, it had the momentum of Game of Thrones working for it.
  • Storm of Swords - Easily my favorite book of the series. The last half is like being on a log flume, but instead of water there's blood, and you're screaming but it's tough to tell if it's because the drop is so high or that the other passengers are trying to kill you.
  • Feast for Crows - Just didn't grab me. I finished it, but it was a slog. I know it was originally part of a bigger book that was split in half, so I'm looking forward to reading the other (hopefully better) half.
  • I talked about Game of Thrones a little more in-depth on Tumblr, but I've found that a lot of the things that I liked about GoT (like the brevity) disappeared in later volumes.

I'm reading Hunger Games now - I'm only a chapter and a half in, but I love it so far.

What're you guys reading? Something good I hope! See you Thursday.

Comments

Reading Hitchhiker's Guide

Comment by Alycia (not verified) Tue, 06/28/2011 - 21:06

Reading Hitchhiker's Guide to The Galaxy for the 76th time :D

I'm a 6'4" black guy.

Comment by Jonn (not verified) Tue, 06/28/2011 - 21:17

I'd probably be using the backpack personally just for irony's sake, or carrying it plain and tall.

Also, my neice's Dora backpack is quite nearly too small for me.

Discworld

Comment by Jordan (not verified) Tue, 06/28/2011 - 21:32

I'm rereading the Watch books set in Terry Pratchett's Discworld, on account of the fact that there's a new one coming out later this year. I'll put them on hold next month when I will be reading Jim Butcher's new book in the Dresden Files series, Ghost Story.

The Hunger Games is so good!

Comment by Nina (not verified) Tue, 06/28/2011 - 21:44

The Hunger Games is so good! If you like it (or at least the first book in the trilogy), then definitely pick up The Knife of Never Letting Go.

Also I like to think that the tiny dog actually belongs to the tough guy.

this subject is subjective

Comment by Poptart Prince (not verified) Tue, 06/28/2011 - 21:53

I'm in the course of reading The Name of the Wind (over half way) and its really good. I'm not that big of a reader (I wish I were, I just don't usually get into books though), but I'm really enjoying it. I'm looking forward to getting The Wise Man's Fear when I finish it. So, if you haven't read it, I would highly recommend it. :)

Tee-hee...

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Tue, 06/28/2011 - 22:02

We have one of those guest in our neighborhood, and the dog is ridiculously tiny and so very, very cute. The guy is a firefighter, and has a faux-hawk like you wouldn't believe. The best days are when the dog has a faux-hawk too! I think one of his kids must dress the dog up every once in a while...

I am currently reading (and re-reading) the Cal Leandros series by Rob Thurman (Nightlife, Moonshine, Madhouse, Deathwish, Roadkill, and now Blackout). So, so good. If you like the show Supernatural, you will like this series. Its about two brothers, with guns, and foul-mouths, and monsters. Such an excellently fun read.

Them Books 'n Tough Guys

Comment by Magellan (not verified) Tue, 06/28/2011 - 22:19

I decided to hold off on reading the last book of the Hunger Games series for when I would be out of town, doing my senior capstone project. The guy I was rooming with decided to go ahead and ruin it for me about halfway through and so the last half of the book is kind of lost in a blind rage, leaving me unqualified to give an opinion on it. The first two were pretty excellent, though.

Nowadays I'm reading a nice little manga called Saturn Apartments, which is about a guy who washes windows on a giant space station, and The Color of Magic, which is the first book of the (so I'm told) hilarious Discworld series by Terry Pratchett.

I have a lifelong dream of becoming one of those tough guys.

The Bridges of Madison

Comment by Alain (not verified) Tue, 06/28/2011 - 22:28

The Bridges of Madison County by Robert James Waller. I never saw the movie (just the trailers) but the book was for sale for one dollar at the library book sale and I was curious about it.

Zaregoto Book 2: The Kubishime Romaticist

Comment by OkamiKugatsu (not verified) Tue, 06/28/2011 - 22:32

It's an ok light novel that recently came out. I read the first 1 a while ago on a recommendation from a friend and while I thought that there were some ok parts, I found the main character largely unlikeable. I picked up the second book on the urging of a friend that things get better....and so far it kind of is, but I'm just barely in. I still don't like the main character very much but lets see how things go. After this one I'm going to dive into The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya.

Dog

Comment by Jessica (not verified) Tue, 06/28/2011 - 22:41

I am a nerd and definitely tried to ID the cartoon dog's breed. Mostly because it looks like a Papillon (one of my favorite breeds...I own 2)

you know everything about

Comment by Mel (not verified) Wed, 06/29/2011 - 12:11

you know everything about dogs and nothing about cookies!

;D

Little dogs

Comment by Rebecca Livengood (not verified) Tue, 06/28/2011 - 23:53

My dad is a 6'4" ex biker who is now a professional truck driver.

His dog is a little 10 pound shitzu-pomeranian mix named Taco.

He bathes the dog every week, and puts little bandanas on him.

I'm reading Player Piano,

Comment by Shauna (not verified) Wed, 06/29/2011 - 01:56

I'm reading Player Piano, good because it's written my Kurt Vonnegut but not my favorite out of his books.

Because I'm weird and like reading old comics while listening to podcasts, I got to some of the old strips with Rook complaining for food and I wondered if you had heard of gravity feeders for pets(like this one http://goo.gl/qT4LC), it keeps the bowl full and lets the cat eat at their leisure, my cats use one of them and it works really well.

Ooh! Vonnegut fan! Player

Comment by Omriel (not verified) Wed, 06/29/2011 - 19:53

Ooh! Vonnegut fan! Player Piano was a fun read, and definitely a window into the time he lived in and a great way to see him develop his worldview and his writing.

What's your favourite of his?

Blind Sight

Comment by alwayslurking (not verified) Wed, 06/29/2011 - 04:49

by Peter Watts. Very good so far.

Neuromancer

Comment by Mr Johnson (not verified) Wed, 06/29/2011 - 05:03

I'm reading Neuromancer whenever I can find it at the library, I like it alot! But the half finished sentences and the street lingo is a little hard to follow at times

I've enjoyed ASOIAF (books)

Comment by Tanja (not verified) Wed, 06/29/2011 - 05:05

I've enjoyed ASOIAF (books) so far as well and I'm currently reading "Wizards First Rule", yes it's the original book to the TV series "Legend of the Seeker", but a LOT better!

Dammit, I still have to read

Comment by Khazm (not verified) Wed, 06/29/2011 - 05:37

Dammit, I still have to read all of it...

I'm currently re-reading The philosopher and the wolf, and I highly recommend it to anyone!

I'm currently

Comment by Marie (not verified) Wed, 06/29/2011 - 05:47

I'm currently reading
Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë.

I must admit that is usually not the type of book I'm used to reading; classics never really grabbed my interest...until now. I blame my Gothic Literature class I had last year! :P

It's very good, but a bit hard to read, and there are words that I am unfamiliar with, and need to constantly read the notes in the back of the book, and reread the passage.

Right now? Dragon Soul by

Comment by Michelle (not verified) Wed, 06/29/2011 - 06:28

Right now? Dragon Soul by Jaida Jones and Danielle Bennett, because Rook is so charmingly vulgar and mechanical, magical dragons! I loved Havemercy so much and I had to get this one, though I skipped the second book of the series because I didn't care much for its focus character.

Also rereading Regeneration by Pat Barker, which is a wonderful, but depressing, story about Sassoon and the man who started talk session therapy for soldiers.

Unfortunately, eng. ed. major has kept me away from non-literature all year and now I have to double team on it before the summer ends!

Tough guys and toy dogs

Comment by Buba G (not verified) Wed, 06/29/2011 - 06:48

My brother is this enormous beefhead that lifts pretty much every day. He's basically the most macho man I have ever seen, so it's always funny to see him walk his Chihuahua/whatever around the block. Keep in mind that this isn't his girlfriend's dog, but rather his OWN. It was a stray that he picked up off the street after scaring off a bunch of hooligans who were throwing snowballs at it.

His daughter named it Sassy.

GoT is my next set, after

Comment by holy hour (not verified) Wed, 06/29/2011 - 07:03

GoT is my next set, after finishing my decade long love affair with the Dark Tower. Getting a bit difficult to finish the last book, it makes me cry every time. And I'm a tough guy, tough guy's don't cry.

Comic was great.

Does it still count if it's

Comment by Marrock (not verified) Wed, 06/29/2011 - 07:54

Does it still count if it's a My Little Pony backpack?

It might be even better,

Comment by Ananth Thu, 06/30/2011 - 15:52

It might be even better, honestly. Although these days, there's no telling if it's his or not!

Need a good laugh?

Comment by MB (not verified) Wed, 06/29/2011 - 08:02

Heh after what you're reading, you might need something to make you laugh. I'm 1/2 way through Beauty Queens by Libba Bray and it's by far one of the funniest books I've ever read. She's got these great footnotes that crack you up and commercial interruptions, etc. Good stuff!

If you find yourself looking for another fantasy series, I highly recommend Kay's Fionavar Tapestry Trilogy.

I LOVE the Hunger Games. I

Comment by Stinethebean (not verified) Wed, 06/29/2011 - 08:27

I LOVE the Hunger Games. I can't wait for the movie. It's actually one I wouldn't be embarrassed to dress up for.

Books!

Comment by Sam (not verified) Wed, 06/29/2011 - 09:09

I'm currently near the end of Reading Lolita in Tehran. I should have finished it a few days ago, but I've been distracted.

I'd really like to read The Hunger Games, but I know I should probably tackle the 20+ books I own but haven't read before. Yeah... I might have a problem...

Also, this comic is really cute! It reminds me of one of my old friends. He was a sarcastic, cynical, gun-loving tough guy. Then we found out he had a girlfriend, who was the total opposite of him, and apparently he was somewhat different when he was around her and now they've been married for two years, and he's over in Saudi Arabia "blowing s--- up," as he says.

I've just started The King

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Wed, 06/29/2011 - 09:22

I've just started The King in Yellow by Robert W. Chambers. It's a collection of ten short stories, and I guess the genre would be mostly gothic-horror. So far I'm enjoying it, but some of the stories are better than others. I'm only on the fourth one so far but it looks like they're loosely connected by a fictional play that drives people mad when they read it. I think it'd definitely be worth checking out if either of you are a fan of Lovecraft, since this is supposed to have been one of his inspirations.

Gosh, YES these both are so

Comment by Anamai (not verified) Wed, 06/29/2011 - 09:45

Gosh, YES these both are so adorable ;3;

tough, steroid guys walking

Comment by guilherme raposo (not verified) Wed, 06/29/2011 - 10:08

tough, steroid guys walking with his mother's poodle too

Raymond Chandler

Comment by Arkham (not verified) Wed, 06/29/2011 - 10:35

Reading Raymond Chandler's Farewell, My Lovely right now. As is to be expected from the man it is painfully beautiful detective fiction. I swear to god that I would read him and Dashiel Hammett all day every day if I could, but alas the masters are dead and their work is finite so I pace myself.

Just before this though, I read James Corey's Leviathan Wakes, which was fantastic. If you like space opera at all (or even if you don't, because I am not normally a man who does) you owe it to yourself to pick this book up and read it as quickly as possible. It being six-hundred pages long is about the only reason I didn't read it in a single night.

I'm about to start Hunger

Comment by Snazzy (not verified) Wed, 06/29/2011 - 10:44

I'm about to start Hunger Games myself!

daww

Comment by Boogie (not verified) Wed, 06/29/2011 - 11:15

Yeah tough guys with cute stuff! XDD another one would be Tough guy on cell saying cutestuff to daughter.

What I'm Reading

Comment by Monkey (not verified) Wed, 06/29/2011 - 13:03

I'm currently reading The Warlock by Michael Scott... But, I just wanted to tell you that if you are a wizard fan, you should read the Young Wizard series by Diane Duane... WARNING: It came BEFORE Harry Potter so, NO! She is NOT "just a copy cat". I like the YW series better than Harry Potter because it is still continuing and it is on the 10th book. And I doubt it will end any time soon.
The series starts with So You Want To Be A Wizard. They are awesomely awesome. But, like I said, if you are into wizardry, you may like them. Another quick warning though, if you don't like younger kids books, you may NOT like the series as it starts out about a couple young middle school age kids.

Recommended

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Wed, 06/29/2011 - 13:32

The Magicians by Lev Grossman.

Hunger Games, yay! Great

Comment by Kathrina (not verified) Wed, 06/29/2011 - 13:33

Hunger Games, yay!
Great book!
You might enjoy the Percy Jackson Saga, I personally like it very much.

I'm reading the Shadows of

Comment by beauvoir (not verified) Wed, 06/29/2011 - 18:43

I'm reading the Shadows of the Apt series by Adrian Tchaikovsky...

I agree with you on your assessment of the Song of Ice and Fire series, Ananth!

Readings

Comment by Omriel (not verified) Wed, 06/29/2011 - 19:50

I am currently reading The Gulag Archipelago, an exploration of the Soviet Secret Police and the prison camps they employed. Excellent book, and I'm to understand a piece of a larger work, examining the same topic, of course. Ah, and written by Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn. At the same time, I am reading Against the Day by Thomas Pynchon. Its plot is hard to condense, but it follows a cast of hundreds over the course of thirty years or so. Fascinating book, unusual lingual use (these days, anyway) and thoroughly excellent imagery. Extraordinarily compelling, if dense, read. Highly recommended.

Also, I work at Colorado College, and there they have a drag ball. There is amusement to be had in watching the hockey team tromp about in drag, though it is tempered by how over the top they go. Subtlety, fellas!

BOOKS

Comment by Goroñ (not verified) Wed, 06/29/2011 - 22:16

currently reading "freakonomics" and "all your base are belong to us", both somewhat nerdy books but they're interesting

I'm currently reading The

Comment by thornn (not verified) Wed, 06/29/2011 - 23:45

I'm currently reading The Coming of Conan the Cimmerian. Much <3 for Robert E Howard.

I re-read several Discworld

Comment by HopelessO (not verified) Thu, 06/30/2011 - 00:06

I re-read several Discworld novels (Night Watch and Witches Abroad last, I think...?) last month. Probably spent at least $80 buying then reading most of the series this year. Also re-read Sabriel recently, and am planning on picking up through Lirael again (I remember not enjoying it as much, though), and Abhorsen, too, after that.

On webcomics, am thinking about reading Spinerette. Have been reading this and The Meek. As for shows, I've been watching Tiger&Bunny and am anticipating the third season of Natsume Yuujinchou. And I've been wondering whether to read the Song of Ice and Fire series first or watch the rest of Game of Thrones after episode 1...

Seriously loving these segments involving tough guys and punks doing cute things for other people or watching Monsters Inc themselves, by the way. I think I went "eeee so adorable" when my sister G-talked the link as soon as she'd noticed Johnny Wanderer had been updated.

The hunger games was

Comment by AnonymousMeh (not verified) Thu, 06/30/2011 - 05:34

The hunger games was fantastic, it's a dangerous slope. I just ordered a book of essays on it after demolishing the wiki and tvtropes pages in it

What am I reading?

Comment by Ralphomon (not verified) Thu, 06/30/2011 - 06:57

I just finished reading The Raw Shark Texts, which I recommend to everyone without exception, an accolade I otherwise reserve for The Gone-Away World. Both great stories, both wonderfully written, imaginative and batshit. Now I'm reading Krugman's 'The Return of Depression Economics' (economics has never been so interesting) and trying to remember where I left my copy of the Gormenghast trilogy.

Books and Backpacks

Comment by Grey (not verified) Thu, 06/30/2011 - 07:20

I love seeing tough guys holding their daughter's backpack! It's my favorite thing.

I was reading The Dragonriders of Pern series, but decided to take a little break.

Right now, I'm reading Harry Potter - I'd read them all when they first came out, but now I'm a little less disappointed with how the last one ended, so I figure I'd go back and get into that world again.

The Hunger Games

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Thu, 06/30/2011 - 09:28

Good job reading the hunger games, It is a great series

Wonderful Wastes of Time

Comment by Conor (not verified) Thu, 06/30/2011 - 09:31

If you like getting down and nerdy these are a few writers/series I can't get enough of:

Jim Butcher's Dresden Files, about a P.I. wizard working in modern day Chicago. It's like Dirty Harry, but with magic

Sergei Lukyanenko's Night Watch series. Is sodding fantastic and even the movie adaptation was fairly good

Sure most have read it, but if you enjoyed the Sandman graphic novel story lines you must read Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere or American Gods.

Outside of that if you dig Hunger Games look into the Uglies series. Teaching Middle School I'm amazed at the number of great books out there for young adults. I don't remember that many solid stories and novels when I was a lad.

Agreed. The Uglies is a good

Comment by MB (not verified) Thu, 06/30/2011 - 17:21

Agreed. The Uglies is a good series as well. Westerfeld writes some awesome stuff. I could talk YA (and some MG) series for hours with people. There is plenty out there to entertain kids. Good strong stories with well developed characters and plots that aren't dull and dry.

... That makes me want to

Comment by Annie (not verified) Thu, 06/30/2011 - 09:37

... That makes me want to read the series just to get to 'Storm of Swords.'

I'm in the middle of 'The Master and Margarita' right now, because it's about time I read it.

The Master & Margarita is

Comment by MB (not verified) Thu, 06/30/2011 - 17:19

The Master & Margarita is one of my all time favorites. I wish more people would read it. Enjoy!

The hunger games is AWESOME.

Comment by Mira (not verified) Thu, 06/30/2011 - 11:09

The hunger games is AWESOME. If they ever made a graphic novel out of it, it would be amazing as well.