Books!

Books!

Tue, 06/28/2011 - 16:22 by Ananth in response to a few of my favorite things 1

We've been sitting on this one for a while! These are the things we notice when we're out and about, especially Yuko. Admittedly, the super tough Dora the Explorer guy with his daughter was heart-meltingly cute ... his daughter skipped along holding his hand, and he had to jog a little to keep up. Aw.

I finished the existing Song of Ice and Fire books. My assessments (no spoilers, and keep them out of the comments as well please):

• Game of Thrones - Fun, fresh! Enjoyed it.
  • Clash of Kings - Okay, it had the momentum of Game of Thrones working for it.
  • Storm of Swords - Easily my favorite book of the series. The last half is like being on a log flume, but instead of water there's blood, and you're screaming but it's tough to tell if it's because the drop is so high or that the other passengers are trying to kill you.
  • Feast for Crows - Just didn't grab me. I finished it, but it was a slog. I know it was originally part of a bigger book that was split in half, so I'm looking forward to reading the other (hopefully better) half.
  • I talked about Game of Thrones a little more in-depth on Tumblr, but I've found that a lot of the things that I liked about GoT (like the brevity) disappeared in later volumes.

I'm reading Hunger Games now - I'm only a chapter and a half in, but I love it so far.

What're you guys reading? Something good I hope! See you Thursday.

Comments

oh man! it would be so cool!

Comment by Ethne (not verified) Thu, 06/30/2011 - 11:35

i never realized that, but you're totally right! (maybe yuko would illustrate it!!!!!!!!)

<3 Books!

Comment by leggomymeggo22 (not verified) Thu, 06/30/2011 - 12:17

I absolutely adore China Miéville. I'm reading The Kraken now but I re-read Perdido Street Station once a year. The world he paints is brilliant.

I love Miéville! His work

Comment by Ananth Thu, 06/30/2011 - 15:58

I love Miéville! His work is great. I've only read Perdido Street Station, but what a book. I'm going to start in on the rest fairly soon, I think.

:D

Comment by leggomymeggo22 (not verified) Fri, 07/01/2011 - 08:33

Yay! PSS is my favorite. In that series, The Scar is good and the Iron Council is ok. He has another called The City & The City. That one was fairly complex and at times I had to re-read sections because I got confused whether something happened in City 1 or City A. But The Kraken is back to the style of the original book I fell in love with. Happy reading!

i just started reading The

Comment by DisposablePal (not verified) Thu, 06/30/2011 - 12:23

i just started reading The Hunger Games last night, i'm already on chapter 10. its kinda hard to put down. like most have said its a lot like Battle Royale and The Running Man (the movie) but i like how much more detail is put into the characters so far.

Just finished reading

Comment by Nate (not verified) Thu, 06/30/2011 - 14:51

Just finished reading Vonnegut's Breakfast of Champions. It's an awesome book. Now I need to decide what awesome book I should read next...

Btw, I've been enjoying JW ever since my friend introduced it to me a year ago. Keep it up!

Hah! I'm the tough guy with

Comment by Jim (not verified) Thu, 06/30/2011 - 15:03

Hah! I'm the tough guy with the little girl's backpack whenever i pick up my nieces.

I really enjoy Steven Brust's Vlad Taltos series.
Fantasy, assassins, detective work. Good stuff!

Dresden Files, same as the above with a pulp detective style.

Howl's Moving Castle

Comment by Kerri (not verified) Thu, 06/30/2011 - 15:26

I'm currently rereading Howl's Moving Castle, probably of my favorite Diane Wynne Jones books aside from The Merlin Conspiracy

Food from the Game of Thrones book series

Comment by Nimaear (not verified) Thu, 06/30/2011 - 16:00

I've only just started reading the books and I'm enjoying them so far and best of all a friend found a blog that posts interpretations and recipes of foods from the book. It can be found here http://innatthecrossroads.com/

From a Bibliophile:

Comment by Jellyfish (not verified) Thu, 06/30/2011 - 23:16

I love GRRM! I like that it is a non-standard fantasy story. Recently over the course of only 3 days I finished both a Darkover novel by Marion Zimmer Bradley and Fire in the Mist by Holly Lisle...as for all time favorites I would probably have to go with either Howl's Moving Castle by Dianna Wayne Jones or Otherland (actually a series of 4 books) by Tad Williams.

I am currently working my way through the Wild Cards series that is a collaboration of many great authors and is edited by GRRM (so you usually will find it under a search of his name). The Wild Cards books tend to waver in how interesting they are...about every 3rd book is really slow. The series is apparently written in sets of 3, so 1,4,7, etc are like reading the first book of a trilogy with all of the character and plot setup.

Oh, Rodger Zelazney's Chronicles of Amber are also really good. They are written in first person, so you are just as out of the loop as the main character.

Aaaannnd...I'm going to stop now and leave quickly before I think of anything else to write.

Loving all the book suggestions...

Comment by Zanna (not verified) Fri, 07/01/2011 - 00:12

I love all of these book suggestions! I've added so many titles to my must-read list. I've heard great things about Hunger Games, so the comments here are just added confirmation that I need to go read it.

Currently I'm reading Heroes of the Valley by Jonathan Stroud. (It's technically a YA novel, but I've been really enjoying a lot of YA books lately...there's so many good ones out there!) I really like it, but I don't love it as much as Stroud's Bartimaeus Trilogy (which is awesome and absolutely hilarious!)

Favorite books of all time however, are definitely C.S. Lewis' The Chronicles of Narnia, and J.R.R. Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings Trilogy and the Hobbit. For any Lewis fans, his lesser known Space Trilogy is really interesting as well.

Other great books/series: Julie Kagawa's Iron Fey series; Lemony Snickett's A Series of Unfortunate Events; Garth Nix's Keys to the Kingdom series; The Ring of Solomon by Jonathan Stroud; Rick Riordan's Percy Jackson and the Olympians...I could go on, but I'll stop now...

By the way, just wanted to let you JW guys know that my friend introduced me to this site/comic a couple months ago, and I've been hooked ever since. You guys are awesome! Keep up the great work!! :)

Malazans

Comment by jelliphiish (not verified) Fri, 07/01/2011 - 06:03

Seriously, the Malazan Book of the Fallen (Steven Erikson) and attendant 'side' books by Ian Cameron Esselmont. I've yet to get through them all.. Ten in the main sequence and mebbe 6 outliers just blindingly brilliant and harsh and such wonderfully constructed prose. just don't expect to get the first time and don't expect to be pandered to : prepare to have to think and occasionally catch up. it's a world-spanning, disjointed and tells something of a much bigger story.. start with Gardens of the Moon and set aside the next year of your life..

The Hunger Games

Comment by Ado (not verified) Fri, 07/01/2011 - 22:12

no spoilers in here
I loved the hunger games, but had to slow down a bit through catching fire. I think it was something about the character development, which was previously good but seemed to cease for a bit there. By Mockingjay though, and all through at least the last half of it, I was loving it again. So I beg thee persist if you share my mid phase.

The Hunger Games is

Comment by Rebecca (not verified) Sat, 07/02/2011 - 00:56

The Hunger Games is fantastic! I just read the second two books of the trilogy (my cousin having "forced" me to read the first one a while ago), and I loved them. (I loved the first one, but then I wanted them to come out in paperback before I bought them, and then I was waiting...and then I just went to the library and got them.)

Haven't had much time to read recently but...

Comment by Checkers (not verified) Sat, 07/02/2011 - 04:41

> The Book Thief (Markus Zusak); wonderfully written and surprisingly refreshing for a story set during WWII.
> Matched (Ally Condie); Similar (in writing style and dystopian setting) to Hunger Games.
> Snow Crash (Neal Stephenson)
> Wheel of Time series (Robert Jordan)
> The Looking Glass Wars (Frank Beddor)

Almost anything by Garth Nix, Neil Gaiman, DWJ!

If you're in the mood for fluff and romance, you could also try the Bitterbynde trilogy (Cecilia Dart-Thornton) and stuff by Juliet Marillier (both fantasy, though I think the first book in the Bitterbynde is the best of the 3) or Marian Keyes (for something more modern).

i have not been able to read

Comment by lisa (not verified) Sat, 07/02/2011 - 10:19

i have not been able to read the last hunger games book, mostly because the whole thing just makes me depressed (even if the first book was a giant baited hook).

i've been reading l e modesitt's imager portfolio! it's really great and more character-driven than action-driven. i really like how he makes these rules for his world, and then he does not allow the main characters to break them at all, like a lot of authors do.

i know this is more juvenile fiction, but i would definitely suggest the 13th reality by james dashner! it's a spectacular book, and so are his books the maze runner and the scorch trials. another favorite is brandon mull; he wrote the fablehaven series and is starting the beyonders. the first book of the beyonders is freaking awesome.

i would also suggest fanuilh, by daniel hood, and the subsequent books. essentially, they are medieval detective novels and the dude has a mini, telepathic dragon. i love them.

ooooooh books. *hearts in eyes*

Comment by mouse of anon! (not verified) Sat, 07/02/2011 - 17:56

Dunno if these ones have come up yet, but I just read them recently and I gotta rec!

1. Leviathan and Behemoth by Scott Westerfeld
An alternate steampunk history of WWI with mecha-animals, extreme cross-dressing, and secret identities all over the place. The first book starts off in England and Austria, while the second takes place mainly in Istanbul. There is much intrigue and buckling of swashes! Also giant kraken and flying whale-ecosystems! Deryn is my favourite hero(ine) in quite some time. See Angela's awesome Unshelved review here: http://www.unshelved.com/2011-3-25

2. Deathless by Catherynne M. Valente
The tale of Marya Morevna and Koschei the Deathless, with extreme Baba Yaga-ness, as set in both the fantastic fairyland of a timeless Russian never-was and the gaunt horrors of Leningrad under Stalin. This sounds crazy. It's also awesome. Valente's style isn't for everyone -- she's very poetic, with distinct undertones of Grimm and Zola -- but the story is wildly amazing. The first three chapters are available here: http://www.tor.com/stories/2011/01/excerpt-deathless-by-catherynne-m-val...

:D I'm on the 3rd book of

Comment by Anthony (not verified) Sat, 07/02/2011 - 23:54

:D I'm on the 3rd book of the hunger games. Currently started 2 random trilogies..because the first book cost me only 2 dollars via kindle. .___.;;; But I like them. Anyways, the books are:
The Softwire: Virus on Orbis 1 -sci-fi, futuristic teen fiction.
Sister of Swords - another teen fiction, but somewhat historical japanese samurai book with some women empowerment. It's cool.

I'm totally up for more books though. >___<

ITT: Johnny Wander readers

Comment by Noni (not verified) Sun, 07/03/2011 - 12:04

ITT: Johnny Wander readers have BRILLIANT taste in reading material. <3

The Wicked Cycle is great, though the first book is the best.

Also read Snow Crash and The Diamond Age by Neal Stephenson.

Some of the best I've read lately

Comment by PO (not verified) Mon, 07/04/2011 - 20:38

(Sorry if my english is a little ''unconventionnal'' here and there, I'm a french speaking Canadian from Quebec.)

- Fictions, by Jorge Luis Borges, literally blew my mind. Working with the primary material that compose books, illusions, trompe l'oeil and half-written rules, with a disctinct humorous streak. I always finish those amazing short stories with a smile.

- The dispossessed by Ursula K. Leguin is, for me, the final stage of the various utopian and dystopian novels that were written in the last century. It's an amazing book!

- Sunken Red, by Jeroen Brouwers, is a beautiful and cruel book, thoroughly human in his depiction of a broken man who still live vividly.

I'm feeling too wordy, here's some more all packed up :
- Lucio's Confession by Mario de Sa-Carneiro
- Slaughterhouse Five (or the Children'S Crusade) by Kurt Vonnegut
- The Road by Cormac McCarthy
- And if you're looking for an incredible book from Quebec, read Next Episode by Hubert Aquin.

I'm reading the Hitchhiker's

Comment by Meow (not verified) Sun, 07/17/2011 - 16:06

I'm reading the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series currently! The lady who works in Borders keeps trying to push Hunger Games on me and all my friends, but when she describes it, it doesn't sound very good. I've heard some amazing reviews from the people who have read it, though, so once I'm finished up with Hitchhiker's I'll take a look.
Also, this comic made me super happy. I love seeing tough guys doing cute things. It's kind of like watching my boyfriend d'aww at cats and bunnies, except for the fact that he's kind of skinny.

Tee Hee! I'm a medieval

Comment by Kasia (not verified) Tue, 07/26/2011 - 12:42

Tee Hee! I'm a medieval re-creationist ( www.sca.org check us out. We be awesome) and one of my favorite things to watch is armored combatants with their kids. I have seen Roman legionnaires changing diapers and mongols hunting for the red crayon and my personal favorite was when Queen Runa had to hand the baby to King Arch so she could give an archer an award of arms!

I might be a bit out of date, but...

Comment by tahrey (not verified) Mon, 03/12/2012 - 05:39

...recently I really got into Philip Pullman's "His Dark Materials" trilogy. Woo, go me, really grabbing the zeitgeist. But bear with us, there's genuine reason for mentioning this, apart from the sheer amount of win that it contains.

I generally avoid various things that get massively hyped, having been badly disappointed by any contact with Harry Potter (Rowling is a hack) and scared stiff by crazy MLP fanboys most recently, but previously had similar trouble with other books and TV shows (Redwall, certain "omg this is so amazing you must watch it" animes...) even back into my teens. Hence even though I was dead-centre target audience for these things when they were still fresh releases, I never got into them. Seems that was a big loss, but then again, maybe I'm in a better position to full enjoy and appreciate them now, as there's a lot of "adult" concepts and material in there, including a lot of science and philosophy I only encountered separately in my late teens and twenties.

But then Golden Compass came on the TV, I caught about half, found it to be unexpectedly awesome. Had a casual google for info about it online as I recognised the name, found it was based on these books... and without even looking for them, found them all on the shelf in my workplace's onsite library whilst mooching for something else. Obviously it was fate.

Got them all out at once, devoured the first two with barely restrained haste and had my mind blown out. Am now trying to slog through to the end of Amber Spyglass - partly because I don't want to end the ride prematurely, partly because it's making my brain overheat from all the ideas contained within and, as we near the final chapters, something of a defiance of the normal narriative rules. What was going to be the big climax literally (ahem) went up in a puff of dust. But there's nearly 100 more pages to go. I just ... what? Erm. Help, my paradigms, they are broken. I do so hope that my current enthusiasm isn't left hopelessly dashed on the rocks by a cruddy ending after all this...

Quite amazed that anyone thought the first book could be filmed with any ease, never mind going on to make the full set (which would definitely have had to be four or more movies). The CG budget alone would have been crippling, and the amount of death and other horror would have mandated either a non-kid-friendly age rating, or swingeing censor-cuts to fit a PG certificate.

In any case, this has proven to be a positive case of drinking the kool aid and finding it to be a pleasant fruity beverage rather than poorly disguised bleach. It's made me optimistic to try out a few other "new" (to me) authors once I'm done here (...and with the Tiffany Aching series I picked up at the same time, next to it on the shelf - the only Pratchett thread I haven't yet sampled), as well as Pullman's other works. I reckon GoT and HG would be a good place to start, once the fuss has died down a bit and the material is either back on the library shelf or less expensive to buy outright.