Connecticon this weekend!

This happens on a fairly regular basis. This time around I suggested an alternate ending, but it didn't make the cut ...

Oh dear.

We'll be at Connecticon this upcoming weekend, July 8-10 in Hartford, CT! We'll have books, t-shirts, charms and whatever else we can carry, come by and say hello!

Catmera Charms are in the store once again!

I finished Hunger Games! A series that started with such promise and ended up ... well, it ended, anyway. I'm a fan of the first book and I really liked the IDEA of where the next two were going, but I wasn't crazy about the execution. I'll probably look at #1 outside the context of the series in my own book-memory. I also managed to read that old manga series Parasyte - I was first introduced to it in the pages of Mixx magazine back in the day. Next up, China Miéville's The Scar! Been looking forward to this one for a while.

That's all I got! Catch you Thursday!

Comments

Finger off the trigger until

Comment by D2k (not verified) Tue, 07/05/2011 - 09:42

Finger off the trigger until you are ready to fire

If you are ever in Austin send me an email and I'll take you guys to the range.

Clearly,

Comment by Raiser (not verified) Thu, 08/18/2011 - 08:43

She's had enough of this 'little kid' bullpucky.

Looks pretty ready to fire to me.

oops it removed my xml joke

Comment by D2k (not verified) Tue, 07/05/2011 - 09:44

oops it removed my xml joke >_>
(safetystickler)

Yay!

Comment by Emily (not verified) Tue, 07/05/2011 - 09:45

We'll see you guys Saturday!

Watch out for the whale!

Comment by Seth (not verified) Tue, 07/05/2011 - 10:02

I usually make CT con since it's only a 30 minute drive, but we'll be attending Otakon this year, and I only have enough vacation time for one con! (I work weekends, that blows my con plans out) Will you make Otakon at all?

Opposite

Comment by Sarah (not verified) Tue, 07/05/2011 - 10:10

I have the opposite problem. I am 14 now, but last year I was helping my grandmother with VBS and all the teenagers addressed me as "Ma'am" and my grandmother's friends asked me where I _*WENT*_ to university and one asked me if I would drive her car up front for her. (I guess it's cus I'm abnormally tall at 5'7'' and I am quiet)
I don't know which is more annoying, though, your problem or mine.
Well, it's more scary to be a kid and thought of as an adult.

Hey, you could end up with both!

Comment by Mornie_Utulie (not verified) Tue, 07/05/2011 - 10:20

When I was 15, everyone thought I was 19. Now that I'm 26, everyone STILL thinks I'm 19. In my honest opinion, it's worse now. Before I could simply say, "Oh, I'm sorry, I'm actually 16." Now, some people think they have an excuse to talk down to me. So... good luck! :)

I'm afraid

Comment by Sarah (not verified) Tue, 07/05/2011 - 13:35

Well, I'm afraid that I'll end up (in the long run) like my mother.
When I was younger (6-10), people mistook my mother for my grandmother because she is completely silver haired. Now it is more plausible for people to think that I am actually just the youngest of 3 kids who are widely spaced in years. (5 years from my middle brother, 7 years from my eldest brother)

This happens to me all the

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Wed, 07/06/2011 - 13:33

This happens to me all the time. Absolutely frustrating. It's even worse when your 21 and they ask if you want the kiddie menu when I'm with my parents.

I had worse experience

Comment by AckAckAck (not verified) Wed, 07/06/2011 - 16:56

When I was 15, people think I'm 25.

When I was 18, people think I'm 26.

When I was 20, People think I'm 27.

When I was 22, People think I'm 28.

When I was 25, People think I'm 29.

When I was 28, People think I'm 30.

When I was 30, People think I'm 30.

It is really hard to get a girlfriend during my high school years *sadface*

I feel your pain.

Comment by Mornie_Utulie (not verified) Tue, 07/05/2011 - 10:16

Normally a lurker here, but... Just wanted to say I know exactly how you feel. What's extra fun is when you're a 25-year-old grad student:

"Hey, do you know who the TA is?"
"That would be me."

Or when a little kid comes up to you in your yard, wanting to sell candy bars for his school:

"Can I talk to your parents?"
"I own this house!"

Though I guess there are worse things for a woman than being mistaken for younger than you are. Also, it's a fantastic excuse to embarrass people who are being snotty with you, without actually being rude back. Oddly, I've never been carded for alcohol (though it doesn't come up that often).

Same story here.

Comment by Nora (not verified) Tue, 07/05/2011 - 11:11

Well, minus being a TA. But yeah. Although, at least when Jehovah's witnesses come to the door and ask for my parents, they'll leave me alone when I say they aren't here.

Last time I got a haircut:
"So what high school do you go to?"
"...I'm 26."

My wife's got the same problem, too. We were at a big family get-together this weekend, and she had a random guy-on-the-street take a group photo.

When he asked how old she was (25), response: "Huh. Never would've guessed that..."

Myself as well. I remember

Comment by HopelessOsaka (not verified) Tue, 07/05/2011 - 21:53

Myself as well. I remember going to a convention at 16 or 17, and after telling one of the badge sellers my age, since the costs depended on it, he wouldn't believe me for the first half minute, then told me with a laugh, "Aw, man, why're you so honest!? If you'd told me that you're 12 I definitely would've given it to you for $20 less!"

A sad and wasted opportunity...

Oh, Huh...

Comment by Alan (not verified) Tue, 07/05/2011 - 10:21

When the guy came up asking if the seat was taken, I thought that Ananth would be the one getting angry at this guy hitting on Yuko.
*Ponders*
Has Ananth ever gotten angry in comic form?

I think the gun in Yuko's

Comment by OrcishIncubus (not verified) Tue, 07/05/2011 - 14:14

I think the gun in Yuko's hand might be the closest we'll see of Ananth's angriness in comic form, or that could be his interpretation of her reaction. I'm not sure.

I'm really not an angry

Comment by Ananth Thu, 07/07/2011 - 13:43

I'm really not an angry person, I dunno.

Also ... it's not as funny when I'm angry, or at least it's easier for me to observe someone else's anger as funny rather than my own, if that makes sense? The only reason I'd write anger into these autobio comic is to get a joke out of it.

You were quite fun when I

Comment by OrcishIncubus (not verified) Thu, 07/07/2011 - 20:26

You were quite fun when I met you years ago. :D

Did anyone not pick up on

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Sun, 04/29/2012 - 18:23

Did anyone not pick up on the pedo vibes from that guy??

Hits on/tries to pick up girl who he assumes is young enough to be there with a parental unit... RUN YUKO!!!

I know how you feel

Comment by ebeelove (not verified) Tue, 07/05/2011 - 10:26

Haha... Yeah, I feel your pain. I was carded for a rated R movie when I was like 23. Sooo embarrassing / annoying!!

That means nothing. Back

Comment by jukebox (not verified) Wed, 07/06/2011 - 19:17

That means nothing. Back when I had a bushy beard and long hair I got carded for buying mgs3. Hadn't been underage in years by then.

I get that still...

Comment by Oscuro (not verified) Tue, 07/05/2011 - 10:29

I get carded for things, and I am 27. Learn to accept it?

When I'm 60, I'll look like I'm 40 at least :D

Parasyte is a great manga :

Comment by Verethragna (not verified) Tue, 07/05/2011 - 10:36

Parasyte is a great manga : )
But I'm kinda amazed that you know it xD

If I'm not wearing my badge

Comment by Katie (not verified) Tue, 07/05/2011 - 11:01

If I'm not wearing my badge for work (I'm a public school teacher) or have my husband and daughter with me I still get mistaken for a teen too.

I still have all of my original issues of Mixx! Parasyte was possibly one of the my favorite stories outside of my sailor moon obsession.

I felt the exact same way

Comment by Wizard (not verified) Tue, 07/05/2011 - 11:29

I felt the exact same way about the hubger games. The writer tends to end her sieries on very blah notes, apparently to be more realistic.

agreed. with anath and you.

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Thu, 07/07/2011 - 18:42

agreed. with anath and you. the first book is the only book i really remember. maybe becuase in that one they actually win. eh, i dunno

Ugh, I had a really annoying

Comment by Mai (not verified) Tue, 07/05/2011 - 11:34

Ugh, I had a really annoying one of those a few months back. when I was carded for the PS3 version of Mass Effect 2... which is a /sixteen/.

I'm twenty.

I'm also 5'10 and a half.

And here's this bloody highschooler implying I look younger than she does. Her extremely embarrassed excuse: 'Well, you DO look really young...' Keep digging your own grave, girl!

Ah, the joys of having all the curves of a ruler. :/ Though at least if she was talking about my face then I'll be grateful for it when I hit thirty or forty. :>

Creepers...

Comment by Jester (not verified) Tue, 07/05/2011 - 11:34

...be creepin'

Oh man, highly recommend

Comment by Schadenfreude (not verified) Tue, 07/05/2011 - 11:40

Oh man, highly recommend China Mieville! If Aido did some fanart I would rupture multiple organs in delight.

Good gracious, so would I.

Comment by vitupera (not verified) Thu, 07/07/2011 - 07:54

Good gracious, so would I. Mieville's writing is so lush, and Yuko's art would complement it wonderfully.

"Are ya feeling lucky? Well

Comment by JacaByte (not verified) Tue, 07/05/2011 - 11:56

"Are ya feeling lucky? Well are you punk?"

I'm a dude and I get this.

Comment by wynden (not verified) Tue, 07/05/2011 - 12:15

I'm a dude and I get this. If repetition paid, the sentence that would make me wealthy: "You'll appreciate it when you're older."

No one can ever conceive a downside to looking young. I'm thirtyone and my peers, prospective employers, and perfect strangers still treat me like a kid. Even "blessings" have their curse. :P

I'm right there with you. I

Comment by Sbarrett (not verified) Tue, 07/05/2011 - 15:37

I'm right there with you. I am thirty and people think I am 18. It is not as great as people think.

Grass is always greener on the other side I suppose.

Anyone else have young-looking parents too?

Comment by FSaunders (not verified) Wed, 07/06/2011 - 12:13

In my family we all look young for our true ages. I'm 30 and people ask what I'm studying in university, or what my plans are for summer break, or whether I've moved out of my parents' house yet, or similar early-20's lifestyle questions. 5 years ago they were still asking me how high school was going. My parents are nearly 60 but they look like they're in their 40s. They're like Flanders - no one will believe they will qualify for senior citizen discounts soon!

It is annoying when people think you're still in school even though you have graduated Uni and have been working full time for nearly 10 years (already? Wow!), but it gets better down the road. You can get away with hanging out in comic shops and games stores; you blend in and no one thinks you're that weird old person who can't let their youth go...

I hate it when people say

Comment by Sally (not verified) Wed, 07/06/2011 - 19:24

I hate it when people say that! I'm getting to the point where I really just want to punch anyone who says that. I'm 23 and pretty small (only just got over 5 foot) and the average age people guess me to be is somewhere around 12 or 13 D:

The worst one recently was when a teacher on camp (I work for a campsite) mistook me for one of their kids on camp.... it was year 3 camp! T_T

It always amazes me, the

Comment by Scott (not verified) Tue, 07/05/2011 - 13:43

It always amazes me, the assumptions that some people make. And why would you even ask that? It's as creepy as it is frustrating.

Also, Parasyte is a trip. I can only imagine how great an animated version would be in the hands of the right director. I had heard a few years ago about a possible live-action version, but the huge deformed mouths and tooth-lined tentacles would look a bit silly, I think.

Damn

Comment by Rob (not verified) Tue, 07/05/2011 - 13:45

Wish I were headed to CT Con this weekend. Haven't been able to make it down there for the past 3 years. Always falls on a bad weekend for me.

I saw you mention Diana

Comment by Buttercup (not verified) Tue, 07/05/2011 - 13:49

I saw you mention Diana Wynne Jones in the last post--definitely read her! She died a few months ago, and I was heartbroken, because she's definitely the writer that has meant the most to me throughout my childhood. The first book of hers that I ever read was Howl's Moving Castle, and by now I think I've read all of her books except Power of Three, which for some reason I can't get around to reading. Maybe I'm just afraid of ending it. ): But anyway, I'd certainly recommend Howl's Moving Castle (which I think is better than the Miyazaki film, though I love both), The Homeward Bounders (sad), The Dark Lord of Derkholm (funny), and any of the Chrestomanci books (clever, funny, and awesome by turns). My dad is a fan of the Dalemark Quartet, which I think is older than most of her other things and so written a little differently, but also worth reading.

Ahhh, what am I saying, just read all of them! XD I've got lists and lists of other writers I think are worth looking into, if you haven't yet, but Diana will always have something special that others just don't. The thing about her is, she's genuinely very, very good. There are plenty of YA fantasy authors who are decent, but Diana is just GOOD and there's no two ways about it.

/fanrant

YES. That is all I have to

Comment by Jordanne (not verified) Thu, 07/07/2011 - 00:18

YES. That is all I have to say.

Practically no one ever gets

Comment by Animus (not verified) Tue, 07/05/2011 - 14:02

Practically no one ever gets my age right, but it's pretty much a 50/50 split for people guessing too high or too low. When I was 16 or 17 waiters would always offer me drinks because they thought I was in my twenties, and now that I actually am, people think I'm a teenager. A little while back I was checking into a hotel with my mom, and the clerk kept looking at me- finally she said, "Two adults... You are over 16, right?" I think she was embarrassed when I told her how old I really was.

Someday...

Comment by Xib (not verified) Tue, 07/05/2011 - 14:29

Someday Yuko is going to snap and beat someone to death with tiny fists, screaming "I'M OLDER THAN YOU" over and over and over.

I got carded buying a

Comment by Deb (not verified) Tue, 07/05/2011 - 14:57

I got carded buying a lottery ticket last year -- and I'm 31. Everyone says I'll be grateful that I look so young. I'm still waiting. :-p

The same thing happens to me

Comment by Amanda (not verified) Tue, 07/05/2011 - 15:07

The same thing happens to me fairly often as well.. One year a neighbor came over to say "welcome" to the neighborhood and asked for my mom.. Then while I was at work, several older customers asked when I'd be graduating high school. :/

ditto

Comment by erimentha (not verified) Wed, 07/06/2011 - 07:26

At 30 I was mistaken for being "about 16" at a dance party by the teen aged girls in the restroom. At 35 I was asked by a door to door salesperson if my parents were home ("I'm not sure, I'd have to call them since they don't live here" got a confused response) and phone sales ask for my parents all the time. At 38 I am still carded at bars...

Some of this is based on my appearance. Dress like a teen, have a mohawk= teen to twenties. Dress same with my "work wig" on, apparently it bumps me into my 20's.

Well, it's bound to happen

Comment by Buck (not verified) Tue, 07/05/2011 - 16:16

Well, it's bound to happen again. Instead of getting mad, create and refine a mind destroying comeback.

It could be worse

Comment by Opus the Poet (not verified) Tue, 07/05/2011 - 16:30

I looked about 30 from the time I was 19 until I got to be about 40. Then I got hit with a truck. That was about 10 years ago and people started telling me how much older I looked than I really was. I think it was the white that started showing up in my beard about that time.

Yuko, you're so gangsta!

Comment by Snickleboom (not verified) Tue, 07/05/2011 - 16:37

Yuko, you're so gangsta!

man,

Comment by Laura (not verified) Tue, 07/05/2011 - 16:39

some people are so rude, and so creepy... :/

it's cool when strangers are plain nice and talk, but when they're trying to be funny or clever (or flirt) it pisses me off a lot. what do they expect? a hi-five?

Hey, it'll pay off when

Comment by Kendall (not verified) Tue, 07/05/2011 - 17:16

Hey, it'll pay off when you're 50 and still getting carded at the bars. :)

older

Comment by johnjohnnjohnnyjohnny (not verified) Tue, 07/05/2011 - 17:23

well,t he best way for a man to look older, grow a beard.
for a lady, stop moisturizing?

HUNGER GAMES!

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Tue, 07/05/2011 - 18:23

I love that series! I already finished every book!
Keep Going Ananth! It GETS BETTER!!