Connecticon this weekend!

This happens on a fairly regular basis. This time around I suggested an alternate ending, but it didn't make the cut ...

Oh dear.

We'll be at Connecticon this upcoming weekend, July 8-10 in Hartford, CT! We'll have books, t-shirts, charms and whatever else we can carry, come by and say hello!

Catmera Charms are in the store once again!

I finished Hunger Games! A series that started with such promise and ended up ... well, it ended, anyway. I'm a fan of the first book and I really liked the IDEA of where the next two were going, but I wasn't crazy about the execution. I'll probably look at #1 outside the context of the series in my own book-memory. I also managed to read that old manga series Parasyte - I was first introduced to it in the pages of Mixx magazine back in the day. Next up, China Miéville's The Scar! Been looking forward to this one for a while.

That's all I got! Catch you Thursday!

Comments

I'm 20 and I get this all

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Tue, 07/05/2011 - 19:06

I'm 20 and I get this all the time. The worst and one of the most common scenario is getting hit on by JUNIOR HIGH boys since I live near a grammar school. Gross!
Also, went to an animal shelter with my boyfriend who also looks young and the volunteer asked how old we were because we needed to be 18 to adopt an animal. We told him he's 22 and I was 20. The guy just said "WHOA! Sorry, you both look young..."

I thought The Scar was the

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Tue, 07/05/2011 - 19:51

I thought The Scar was the best of the Bas Lag series. Perdido Street felt horrifyingly dirty, like I want to take a shower dirty. The Scar was delicious, though.

Totally identify with your

Comment by Ananth Thu, 07/07/2011 - 14:24

Totally identify with your feeling about Perdido Street Station ... just felt grimy. I was totally impressed.

Oh man

Comment by Ferdinand (not verified) Tue, 07/05/2011 - 20:07

Drawing of Yuko with gun in hand does two things:

1. Say it all. I'm 25, but everyone thinks I'm 20...and that I still haven't graduated from college. Did that 2 years ago.

2. Make my day. Need to show it to people who deserve a loud, simple "NO!"

Assuming is never good

Comment by Suilean Dubh (not verified) Tue, 07/05/2011 - 20:09

People tend to assume I'm older than I am, but a few times I've had my 8-years-younger cousin mistaken for my son. I'm 16, 20's the oldest I've been mistaken for. So basically I'm assumed to have given birth between the ages of 8-12. >.<

I have an idea! Yuko should

Comment by Jonny K (not verified) Tue, 07/05/2011 - 21:59

I have an idea! Yuko should grow a beard! It worked for me when I was 13, everyone thought I was like 20. Plus, bonus: Your face is warm!

Books

Comment by Sam (not verified) Tue, 07/05/2011 - 23:03

Have you read The Road By Cormac McCarthy? It's a great book, I know they made a movie about it but I read this book years ago and I just keep going back to it when I can't find a new one to read. It's that good.

No caption bubble.

Comment by AkitaWan (not verified) Wed, 07/06/2011 - 01:00

It's more terrifying. D:

Concerned

Comment by Red (not verified) Wed, 07/06/2011 - 02:04

I am suddenly concerned about how old that guy that wanted to sit with you is. >___>

Ahh, I too am a victim of looking annoyingly young. The other weekend, I was at the theatre to see Green Lantern, and the lady at the till looks at me and says 'Student?' (for price). I go 'No, Adult...' and she gets all wide-eyed and exclaims 'You're 18!?!?' and I tell her '...No, I'm 20.' Then she gives me some sort of cougar-look and tells me I should make sure to take ID when going to the bar, but I tell her I don't drink, and then I leave to go stand in line for snacks and feel awkward.

And last winter, this guy running for mayor comes to my door. He's handing out pamphlets, so he gives me one, tells me to tell my parents about him, gives his name, and says to me 'You probably know me from school'. I did know him from school, from MIDDLE school. I8< So I threw his pamphlet in the trash.
He never got elected. >83

Another one...

Comment by DaniDaniDanica (not verified) Wed, 07/06/2011 - 04:13

Just the other day, my boyfriend's relative asked me how much older my brother was than I. I replied that there's 6 years between us, so he asked if that meant my brother was 19.

*I'm* 19 >:

I'm glad he feels like he can joke with me (I hope), but still. I'm crying a little in my heart, here!

Ditto

Comment by Zelly (not verified) Wed, 07/06/2011 - 04:55

While I did my student teaching I was mistaken twice for student. Makes for awkward conversation/explanation.

Lots to look forward to

Comment by k (not verified) Wed, 07/06/2011 - 05:51

My parents have for ages been confused with being my siblings and on one occasion my mom was assumed to be my wife! So I know that pretty soon I will in the eyes on many simply stop aging... kinda looking forward to that :)

Currently the general consensus is that I'm a little younger than they are.

On another note, I saw a 40yr old Chinese woman get carded when trying to buy a bottle of wine last week. I mean seriously, why would she even bother to carry ID (this is the UK, we have much less types of age identifying ID), needless to say she left angry and empty handed.

Quick! Someone call Chris

Comment by damsel (not verified) Wed, 07/06/2011 - 06:36

Quick! Someone call Chris Hansen! There's a predator in Starbucks!

China Mieville

Comment by Kayla (not verified) Wed, 07/06/2011 - 07:28

I've had The Scar on my Kindle for several months, and I've been meaning to read it... but Perdido Street Station was so DENSE that I'm almost afraid to start reading anything else by the guy. He's extremely talented, I just get lost, like maybe the writing is beyond my reading comprehension. O.o And that hasn't happened to me since I was... like... six.

Hope The Scar goes well for you! Looking forward to updates.

Stick with the gun next time.

Comment by Robert V Aldrich (not verified) Wed, 07/06/2011 - 07:48

Stick with the gun next time.

I've been thought to be

Comment by Hohhoi (not verified) Wed, 07/06/2011 - 10:40

I've been thought to be about 5 years older than I really am. Not sure how to feel about it.

The worst thing about this

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Wed, 07/06/2011 - 14:02

The worst thing about this is that he was hitting on you AND thought you were underage. I think it would have been okay to shoot him.

hmm it's kinda extra creepy

Comment by kaze (not verified) Wed, 07/06/2011 - 15:30

hmm it's kinda extra creepy hitting on someone who you assume is younger.

Have fun with it

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Wed, 07/06/2011 - 15:49

When this happens (I'm assuming you're with Ananth), say that you are with your dad. When Ananth shows up, call him "daddy" (you may have been adopted), and give him a big wet kiss on the mouth!

CREEPY!

The organist I play with

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Wed, 07/06/2011 - 18:43

The organist I play with occasionally thought I was younger than him until a couple days ago. He's 16 and still in high school-- I'm 22 and I've been in college for three years >.>

On the plus side, I have yet to meet a door-to-door salesman that I can't dismiss with a single look...

Hunger games series

Comment by evachainsaw (not verified) Wed, 07/06/2011 - 22:10

Ananth, I have to agree with you completely on the hunger games series! Started out strong and well, you know...

If you are in the reading mood, I highly recommend some Christopher Moore. I find them witty and clever. (I find myself laughing out loud quite often)

Hunger Games... when's lunch?

Comment by Vickie (not verified) Wed, 07/06/2011 - 22:18

I finished the Hunger Games series recently. The first two books were pretty good; I blew through the second book in like two days. But the third book surprised me with its... I'm not going to say nihilism, but it's very different from what I would expect from a YA book. Kat's attitude by the end, while well founded, didn't exactly give a reader some hope for humanity. What's the word I'm looking for...? Ah, 'helpless'. In the 3rd book, I felt like she was too helpless.

Anywhooooooooo, now I'm reading Kim Harrison's "Hollows" series, aka, "Rachel Morgan" series. Ah, urban fantasy, a genre one detests but can't seem to stay away from...

Hunger Games

Comment by Samantha (not verified) Wed, 07/06/2011 - 22:25

Ananth, I feel your Hunger Games-related pain. I devoured the first two books and eagerly awaited the third, but was ultimately disappointed by the last half of the 3rd book. I totally agree that the concept was way-cool, and the first book was really interesting, but with the way the 3rd book ended, I felt like there was no point to reading the three books since there seemed to be no point to the events in the story. :(

I feel for you, Yuko! I get

Comment by Laur (not verified) Wed, 07/06/2011 - 23:00

I feel for you, Yuko! I get mistaken for a teenager occasionally too since we live near a high school. XD

The Hunger Games was a fantastic series that does seem to lose its footing once in a while. I'm looking forward to the movie and hope the adaptation gets the essence of the story down.

I get this too

Comment by Nichole (not verified) Thu, 07/07/2011 - 00:05

I get this a ton as well. Last time I went grocery shopping, the man in front of me asked me how school was going. When I replied that I had graduated (I'm 23), he proceeded with "college?!?!"

I get carded for M-rated video games, which is the worst. I'm 23, not 16.

We need a Yuko with gun t-shirt...

Comment by C.D. Reimer (not verified) Thu, 07/07/2011 - 00:12

Seriously, Yuko with a gun t-shirt is what we all need for those ignorant people who walk up to us and asks stupid questions. As someone who works I.T. in Silicon Valley, I could use a t-shirt like this. :)

I wonder if Yuko gets pulled

Comment by Prestedigitation (not verified) Thu, 07/07/2011 - 02:08

I wonder if Yuko gets pulled over by the cops with their; "Aren't you supposed to be in school, young lady?"

I hate it when that happens.

Oh, no... I feel your pain.

Comment by NTG (not verified) Thu, 07/07/2011 - 02:40

Oh, no... I feel your pain. But at the same time, I use it to my advantage -- I like going trick-or-treating! This last year, I dressed up as the titular character from Kiki's Delivery Service and only one guy asked me how old I was. I said, "Well... take 12... and multiply it by 2." And he was like, "You're 24?? I thought you were maybe 16..." I felt satisfied in that moment.

But when taxi drivers ask me if I'm a junior high student, it gets a little old, fast. 9_9

OHHEYTHERE

Comment by Raccoon (not verified) Thu, 07/07/2011 - 02:59

You should totally read Brandon Sanderson if you like fantasy with interesting kind's of magic. To start of with him though, I'd recommend Mistborn or Elantris, though they can be sometimes a little bit slow the endings are so wonderfully executed. My favorite of his is one that's a thousand pages long... so unless you have plenty of time on your hands I don't recommend it.
x3.

Ah you knowww, since you've been reading lots of different things.
:3.

Petite = moe

Comment by il biggo (not verified) Thu, 07/07/2011 - 03:33

In the words of Konata Izumi: "There's a need for that."

Sorry

Comment by hohhoi (not verified) Thu, 07/07/2011 - 04:49

I obviously have to apologize to George, or whoever else I upset with that comment earlier.(You know what I'm talking about) I am really sorry about that, I had a bad day, which seems to have happened to me quite often lately. Anyway once again, I apologize for behaving like an ass.

sincerely

Hohhoi

Lying about my age is 50% of

Comment by Shoebox (not verified) Thu, 07/07/2011 - 07:20

Lying about my age is 50% of who I am.

I get half-fare buses and trains when I shave, so I'm not gonna start complaining any time soon.

I feel the alternate ending

Comment by LisaG (not verified) Thu, 07/07/2011 - 09:23

I feel the alternate ending should be Yuko's avatar of choice now.

I'll turn 37 next week ("I'm

Comment by Cliff (not verified) Thu, 07/07/2011 - 13:35

I'll turn 37 next week ("I'm 37, I'm not old!") but most people that know me say something to the effect of " I thought you were 28!". Bad you know what? I'll absolutely take it. Totally worth not being able to grow a beard till I was 24.

Also: The Scar is still my favorite from the Bas Lag series

umm, yeah I don't think the

Comment by Monika E. (not verified) Thu, 07/07/2011 - 15:25

umm, yeah I don't think the guy wanted to sit with Yuko, I think he just wanted to take the chair because he needed it.

Just a thought.

better get used to it

Comment by jen (not verified) Thu, 07/07/2011 - 18:34

I'm 30 and regularly get carded. I do pretty much wear the same style of clothing as I did in college though..

I'm 23. Everyone guesses

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Fri, 07/08/2011 - 01:25

I'm 23. Everyone guesses 12.

What's most awkward are times I've been hit on and it started like this:

"Say, how old are you?"

Hunger Games and Parasyte..neat

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Mon, 07/11/2011 - 08:22

I have a similar opinion of the Hunger Games series--first book was great, and the next two were just...meh. The second one was almost like a redo of the first, like the author needed a transition to the third book but couldn't think of a new idea to flesh out the second book with, and just sort of recycled the idea from the first book...it was okay, but nothing new really...and the third one was sort of exploring some ideas, wrapping up some loose threads, and giving the story an ending, but sort of losing momentum.

Also, I read Parasyte a while ago, and it was one of the best--maybe *the* best--manga I've read.

Haven't read any of Mieville yet, but I do have Perdido Street Station on my Pandigital, when I get around to it.

=caracal=

...if he thought you were

Comment by Elkian (not verified) Thu, 07/14/2011 - 20:56

...if he thought you were young enough to be there with your dad, WHY DID HE ASK TO SIT NEAR YOU? That's...that's just creepy.

I recently went to the

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Mon, 12/12/2011 - 20:11

I recently went to the orthodontist, the same one I've been going to for about 15 years. He asked what year of high school I was in.

"Well ... I'm actually in my second year of university."

Do I really look like I'm still in my teens?? I guess it's better than being mistaken for being much older ... =/

Hmm it looks like your blog

Comment by Tobie Hald (not verified) Sun, 05/27/2012 - 04:14

Hmm it looks like your blog ate my first comment (it was extremely long) so I guess I'll just sum it up what I had written and say, I'm thoroughly enjoying your blog. I too am an aspiring blog blogger but I'm still new to the whole thing. Do you have any points for novice blog writers? I'd definitely appreciate it. Tobie Hald