In the year 20XX

In the year 20XX

Tue, 07/19/2011 - 19:20 by Ananth in response to a few of my favorite things 2

We saw the mariachi guys the first week we moved here, but they got lost in the jumble of new impressions. The second time we saw them, Yuko made a note of it.

We encountered the time-traveling rapper last week when we had to take a late trip home. Imagine, if you will ... 3 AM and the train car is utterly quiet ... three quarters of a handful of riders are asleep or drifting off. The train doors slide open, and suddenly ... a time traveler enters. This guy saw what the 80s were like from a handful of artifacts and ancient records and went back in time to save rap as we know it. He was pretty good!

I'm putting Johnny Wander: Vol. 2 together, and I have a question for you guys & gals - are there any extras you'd like to see? Post your ideas in the comments!

Comments

Cat photos. :I

Comment by Manuela (not verified) Tue, 07/19/2011 - 19:21

Cat photos. :I

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Wed, 07/20/2011 - 13:11

more yes

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Wed, 07/20/2011 - 23:00

more yes

Replace cat

Comment by ??? (not verified) Thu, 07/21/2011 - 04:02

with duck, or pancake, and I'll buy 12.

Didn't get Vol. 1 yet but I

Comment by Chris Maghintay (not verified) Tue, 07/19/2011 - 19:26

Didn't get Vol. 1 yet but I think you could include exclusive guest strips or a flip book type thing that animates when you flip the corner of the book!

For Vol. 2, I would love to

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Tue, 07/19/2011 - 19:28

For Vol. 2, I would love to see some of your concept sketches or rough works for... anything, but especially Girl With the Skeleton Hand 2.

bonus sketches would be

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Tue, 07/19/2011 - 19:36

bonus sketches would be nice, or some rough work is fine too. Those sketches that yuko did from the natural history museum were good so maybe something like that? Oh you know, draw yourselves with funny hats or something, maybe draw john with a panda hat. Just imagine it~...

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Tue, 07/19/2011 - 21:06

I second the desire to see John in a panda hat.

I second that motion

Comment by the other ghost girl (not verified) Wed, 07/20/2011 - 17:10

I would love to see that >D

Panda Hat

Comment by slice-of-insanity (not verified) Fri, 08/05/2011 - 11:49

I would also like to see John in a panda hat.

And George in a Grim Reaper costume, grinning.

We need more George.

MORE YES

Comment by Suri (not verified) Tue, 07/19/2011 - 22:37

John in a panda hat. <3
And then like Yuko with a cat-in-the-hat hat AND Ananth WITHOUT A HAT!

I also would love to see the sketches, especially concept sketches.

And what I would REALLY ADORE to see in the next volume is more stories. I would read anything that you guys wanted to write about, like maybe stories that Yoku didn't want to/couldn't translate into comic format, or old stories from college.

Or, you know, Anath's hat

Comment by HopelessOsaka (not verified) Wed, 07/20/2011 - 00:01

Or, you know, Anath's hat with a hat. ._.♥

OH I KNOW!

Comment by Suri (not verified) Wed, 07/20/2011 - 01:40

Like a mini top hat just sitting on top!
hehehehe this is so much fun to imagine.
THIS MUST HAPPEN. HATS HATS HATS!

So it's like Team Fortress

Comment by KnoxEmerald (not verified) Thu, 07/21/2011 - 19:45

So it's like Team Fortress 2: Johnny Wander edition?

More Maw Please

Comment by Bigred (not verified) Tue, 07/19/2011 - 19:38

More Maw Please

FOR COMEDY'S SAKE!

Comment by Aaron (not verified) Tue, 07/19/2011 - 19:39

I think you guys should restage certain panels from fan-favorite strips. It would be really amusing to see how things REALLY look.

What he said.

Comment by JD (not verified) Tue, 07/19/2011 - 21:41

Seconded. Please.

this is

Comment by Nicole (not verified) Wed, 07/20/2011 - 07:16

Genius

There are a lot of amazing

Comment by Laura (not verified) Fri, 07/22/2011 - 17:00

There are a lot of amazing suggestions coming from these comics, but THIS is amazing. I would LOVE love love to see this (and I bet you guys would have fun doing it too!)

I would really love to see a

Comment by Anii (not verified) Tue, 07/19/2011 - 19:40

I would really love to see a bit more into the process- like sketches are always cool, but maybe a bit more of a how it happens- thumbnails, or a bit about the tools used (pens, nibs, scrap paper)... I really liked the section in vol. 1 where there were some comics that didn't make the cut & why. Maybe a hidden puzzle or two... haha ^^*

Queens Mariachi Band

Comment by Michael M. (not verified) Tue, 07/19/2011 - 19:40

The Queens subway mariachi band, that usually rides the Q, N and 7 trains tend to dress in a sort of Mexican cowboy look. Yours look a lot classier.

JOHN. More specifically, a

Comment by Origamigryphon (not verified) Tue, 07/19/2011 - 19:45

JOHN.

More specifically, a few gems from his advice column illustrated. 8D

Actually, John Advice is a

Comment by Ananth Tue, 07/19/2011 - 22:12

Actually, John Advice is a planned feature for the back of the book. This one is definite!

8D

Comment by Origamigryphon (not verified) Wed, 07/20/2011 - 17:47

AWESOME.

For a few minutes, I thought

Comment by jorenko (not verified) Tue, 07/19/2011 - 19:47

For a few minutes, I thought that these were two of the subway musicians that you'd seen performing various versions of My Favorite Things, from The Sound of Music, and the comic was even more awesome.

THOSE WERE MY EXACT THOUGHTS

Comment by Max (not verified) Thu, 07/21/2011 - 06:09

*Online Brofist/Hug*

looking forward to Volume 2!

Comment by Daniel (not verified) Tue, 07/19/2011 - 19:49

I loved in Vol. 1 the director's commentary blurbs like you're doing here, it'd be good to see them again.
It's been already mentioned but roughs, concepts, ditched ideas, scribbles, anything really :D
Hope you're having a great day,
-Daniel

Concept

Comment by aergonaut (not verified) Tue, 07/19/2011 - 19:50

Concept art/sketches/character designs for the fiction shorts!

mass effect sketches

Comment by Jordan (not verified) Tue, 07/19/2011 - 20:00

more sketches of garrus and tali.

Comment by ninjatails (not verified) Fri, 08/05/2011 - 20:13

i agree with the first

Comment by Chloe (not verified) Tue, 07/19/2011 - 20:34

i agree with the first commenter

more cat photos. :3

extras

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Tue, 07/19/2011 - 21:05

more stories of SPAKELHAUS!! stories of almost burning the kitchen down!!

Comment by Dr. Kindness (not verified) Sat, 07/23/2011 - 11:57

Johnisms. A whole page of

Comment by Andrea Frederick (not verified) Tue, 07/19/2011 - 21:17

Johnisms. A whole page of Johnisms.

Oh my god, this would make

Comment by Koratah (not verified) Wed, 07/20/2011 - 23:01

Oh my god, this would make my life.
two pages of johnisms would make my
uh
cat's life
anyjohnismswouldbefantabulous

Extras!

Comment by Matt Nelson (not verified) Tue, 07/19/2011 - 21:17

I'd like to see a short comic about a day in the life of Rook. Though I'm aware that it'd be likely to be half panels of a sleeping cat. :)

Extras :D!!

Comment by Elyse (not verified) Tue, 07/19/2011 - 21:28

I'd love to see any sort of sketches and dialogues!

And someone mentioned Johnisms. I'd like to see all kinds of isms--Conradisms, Ananthisms, Yukoisms. (It kind of weirds me out that I'm talking about you guys like you're fictional characters :|)

No worries, we're

Comment by Ananth Tue, 07/19/2011 - 22:13

No worries, we're intentionally characterized that way. :)

No doubt it's really a great

Comment by dual saw (not verified) Fri, 10/21/2011 - 01:51

No doubt it's really a great article and I felt really great going through your blog post. Great to read more articles from your side.

~

Comment by J (not verified) Tue, 07/19/2011 - 21:40

I love subway musicians! Once a mariachi band came into my train car, played their way through and left out of the opposite door. As soon as they were gone, another mariachi band came in the car the same way the first had. It was like a lazy susan of mariachi!

Also, the '80s rapper guy in the comic reminds me of the guys at the end of this street fashion post: http://www.fashables.com/peeps-from-the-streets-4/

As for extras in the book, I'll have to nth the request for Johnisms!

Thanks

Comment by Ryan (not verified) Wed, 07/20/2011 - 05:53

J, thank you very much for sharing our Peeps from the Streets link!!

Ryan

ASK JOHN and CALIBRATIONS

Comment by theshim (not verified) Tue, 07/19/2011 - 21:49

ASK JOHN

and CALIBRATIONS

What time is it?

Comment by Clayton (not verified) Tue, 07/19/2011 - 21:55

Show time people!

The mouse-over text you see

Comment by Phillip (not verified) Tue, 07/19/2011 - 21:58

The mouse-over text you see on the strips here. It's like the last punchline of the strip. Was kind of sad to see they weren't in Vol. 1.

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Fri, 07/22/2011 - 14:09

I second that notion, I love those mouse-over texts!

I will buy anything you put

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Tue, 07/19/2011 - 22:03

I will buy anything you put in it.
Also cats. Everything needs more cats.

Talking rook, who is talking!

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Tue, 07/19/2011 - 22:15

Talking rook, who is talking!

extras

Comment by The Los (not verified) Tue, 07/19/2011 - 22:16

how about JW pinups from friends and fans? :D

EVERYTHING

Comment by Aube (not verified) Tue, 07/19/2011 - 22:18

Honestly I really enjoyed the bits in the end of the first book about how you got around to doing JW, some of the rejected ideas and your process in finding the right tone for the comic. Concept sketches are always welcome and maybe in the next special addition we can get some art drawn by Ananth as well, it's been a while since we've seen his art. Though he is the writer behind it all. Other ideas?...maybe some rejected scripts? The "Ask John" pages will be in there I hope!

GARIES. Make the entire book

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Tue, 07/19/2011 - 22:38

GARIES. Make the entire book GARIES.