In the year 20XX

In the year 20XX

Tue, 07/19/2011 - 19:20 by Ananth in response to a few of my favorite things 2

We saw the mariachi guys the first week we moved here, but they got lost in the jumble of new impressions. The second time we saw them, Yuko made a note of it.

We encountered the time-traveling rapper last week when we had to take a late trip home. Imagine, if you will ... 3 AM and the train car is utterly quiet ... three quarters of a handful of riders are asleep or drifting off. The train doors slide open, and suddenly ... a time traveler enters. This guy saw what the 80s were like from a handful of artifacts and ancient records and went back in time to save rap as we know it. He was pretty good!

I'm putting Johnny Wander: Vol. 2 together, and I have a question for you guys & gals - are there any extras you'd like to see? Post your ideas in the comments!

Comments

OH MY GOD YES.

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Wed, 07/20/2011 - 22:25

OH MY GOD YES.

I wanna see how you guys

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Tue, 07/19/2011 - 22:48

I wanna see how you guys make the stirps bro. That would be sooo cash.

Pics or it didn't happen!

Comment by Eages (not verified) Tue, 07/19/2011 - 23:16

I'd like to see photos of Yuko's drawing area and tools - perhaps photos of the process she goes through to do a comic also.

Alt Text & B-Sides

Comment by Bobcat2022 (not verified) Tue, 07/19/2011 - 23:22

My favorite part of Volume 1, besides the snazzy spot-gloss on the cover, was the section with the rejected early strips and the explanations for why you felt it didn't hit the right tone or whatever. So, more of that please. Also much agreement on whoever said to include the mouseover text somehow.

Puzzles? I'd also like to

Comment by meanderling (not verified) Wed, 07/20/2011 - 00:09

Puzzles? I'd also like to see step by steps, maybe from 'storyboarding' or whatever it is you guys do to the finished product. Also, colouring pages. Yeah.

In Germany there were a lot

Comment by Robolover (not verified) Wed, 07/20/2011 - 00:14

In Germany there were a lot of accordion players on the U-Bahn.

Stat Sheets?

Comment by DaemonCorps (not verified) Wed, 07/20/2011 - 01:32

For extras, maybe an extended version of the character stats you showed at the introduction of each main character when they were introduced? Stuff like strengths, weaknesses, and other videogame referencey stuff could work... maybe?

The only thing I can think

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Wed, 07/20/2011 - 04:31

The only thing I can think of is that when I read the first volume I felt like a fair amount of strips were missing the accompanying news posts that explained or elaborated or were just generally funny. There were some in there I know but...yeah. Very excited for Vol. 2 either way. Like I need an excuse to re-read everything.

I once caught a 3 piece band

Comment by Shiny (not verified) Wed, 07/20/2011 - 06:18

I once caught a 3 piece band on the train to home. I caught them at Central Station in Sydney but left on at Wynard 2 stops later :( They were good and it's refreshing to have music on Sydney trains

Vol 2 Extras

Comment by Arsnof (not verified) Wed, 07/20/2011 - 06:27

Candy.

How about a bestiary

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Wed, 07/20/2011 - 07:00

How about a bestiary containing all your various chimeras and creations? :3

Comment by repetitionrepetition (not verified) Sun, 07/24/2011 - 12:12

A section that perhaps explains the idea behind them and a little more about them would be awesome.

I have seen plenty of the

Comment by Ink Asylum (not verified) Wed, 07/20/2011 - 07:37

I have seen plenty of the Mariachi band but I haven't been fortunate enough to see the 80's rapper!

combinations

Comment by VinKong (not verified) Wed, 07/20/2011 - 08:28

a bunch of the combo animals you guys did. Or was it just different cat/animal hybrids? whatever it was-those!

Show me your designs.

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Wed, 07/20/2011 - 08:51

For the vessel that will replace the Apollo generation of spacecraft. Whatever you want, for whatever you want (orbiters, Mars cyclers, moon mission, whatever. Just what you think should come next).

Book Extras

Comment by Jasmine P (not verified) Wed, 07/20/2011 - 08:58

God, I hit 'preview' instead of 'post' then closed the window... let's see what I remember...

What Yuko posts on tumblr of larger panels, or highly detailed panels.

To go with the AskJohns maybe a one panel illustration of John's response

Anachronistic or different culture clothing. Victorian dressed Maidens, Death wearing non-Western clothes. Or maybe seasonal clothing.

Maybe detailed location sketches, like what Julia Wertz does. Detailed sketch of the apartment, a study of people on the train or the view from some random window.

I agree with what I saw someone else say which is adding the alt-text in the book. I missed them when I read the first one.
Sorry if I sound demanding.

Vol 2!

Comment by pandiculator (not verified) Wed, 07/20/2011 - 09:11

For volume two, I also support a method of including the mouse-over text. More inside looks at how JW came to be, or maybe more rejected JW strip ideas would be awesome, too!

But, really, you could sell a bunch of cardboard stapled together (the wrong way, even!) and I'd buy it, so...just carry on being awesome!

Insert for the special edition

Comment by Nina (not verified) Wed, 07/20/2011 - 09:27

Remember when you guys asked if we would buy the Hokusai design on a t-shirt, and quite a few people said they would prefer to buy it as a print/poster? Well, how about producing an inexpensive poster and bundling it with the special edition? It doesn't have to be huge or even glossy, but it's SUCH a nice piece that it would be awesome to have a larger, display-able version of it (that won't be unreadable over my boobs).

More Game of Thrones fan art

Comment by Abelle (not verified) Wed, 07/20/2011 - 09:49

More Game of Thrones fan art ;) Ok yeah I know that's not really Johnny Wander related.. so my other vote goes to more cat-stuff. I loves me some kitties <3

Character Designs

Comment by Jason (not verified) Wed, 07/20/2011 - 11:53

I'd like to see the main cast in Yuko's "good" style -- the way she draws GwtSH -- as opposed to the usual, more sketchbook style.

Short Stories

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Wed, 07/20/2011 - 12:14

It's probably been said by now, but I'd love to see some of the short stories you've done included in Vol. 2, like the Girl With the Skeleton Hand stories. Of course, I'm not sure if you're planning on doing color, and I don't know if those stories will work as well in B&W.

Moar recipes plz

Comment by archivalerie (not verified) Wed, 07/20/2011 - 15:49

More recipes please... and maybe a special section of the "Ask John" advice column... with him in a panda hat.

exclusive comics

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Wed, 07/20/2011 - 17:00

maybe 1 or 2 exclusive comics

Puppy!

Comment by Origamigryphon (not verified) Wed, 07/20/2011 - 17:51

I thought of something else.

I am madly in love with Puppy. I'd love to see a quick short with Puppy and Delilah :D

Also, PONYCOP

Are we talking the Mariachi

Comment by Simcha (not verified) Wed, 07/20/2011 - 21:03

Are we talking the Mariachi band that frequents the blue lines (A, C, E)? Because i get a nice wakeup on the train from them every week or so. Awesome stuff.

Extras?

Comment by Metal_Sonic_X (not verified) Wed, 07/20/2011 - 21:13

How about some extra pics of the little blind girl and the cockatrice?

Interesting recipes like

Comment by Nick (not verified) Thu, 07/21/2011 - 08:29

Interesting recipes like that cooler drink!

More Batmans all Batmans all

Comment by BAMAN (not verified) Thu, 07/21/2011 - 09:17

More Batmans all Batmans all the tiiiiime.

80's Rap

If you have to ask Jon
Better not be a fool

Johnny WANDER
Don't you squander
If you're reading,
We ask you ponder.

*scratch aric ric ric rci aaaric*

(I don't know why I did that, I just have these fond (read: weird) memories of my 80's high school rap exposure)

Recipes!

Comment by Faiga (not verified) Thu, 07/21/2011 - 09:43

I'd like to see favourite recipes from some of your favourite foods like John's smoothie recipe. It was fantastic!!

Show us who you really are!

Comment by AdmiralPuff (not verified) Thu, 07/21/2011 - 11:46

Perhaps include some real time photos of the WHOLE cast of the comic? JohnAdvice would be cool as well.

kitties!

Comment by the other ghost girl (not verified) Thu, 07/21/2011 - 13:43

I would love to see photos of the cats in this comic.

How could I forget?

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Thu, 07/21/2011 - 17:27

JOHN MASKS FOR CATS.

cooking with johnny wander!

Comment by TheRascalKing (not verified) Thu, 07/21/2011 - 17:59

you've had quite a few recipes that have made their way to the strip...what about collecting them in a Johnny Wander Cookbook of sorts?

(BTW--ecto cooler = teh AWESOMEZORS!!!!!!11)

Extras for the next volume question?

Comment by Rizz Rustbolt (not verified) Thu, 07/21/2011 - 19:05

On a strip about time travelling rappers?

I think you answered your own question there.

I just had to ask...

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Thu, 07/21/2011 - 19:54

I just had to ask... is the title an EarthBound reference? :D

random comments about the

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Thu, 07/21/2011 - 21:14

random comments about the comic, like the ones that appear when you put your mouse over it. (it probably has some sort of technical name, i dunno)
and cats. cats cats cats. meow.
this reminds me, I saw someone playing a saxophone on the metro once coming back from a concert :3

Johnisms

Comment by Sion (not verified) Thu, 07/21/2011 - 21:54

More Johnisms. And more cat.

Why not re-create several of

Comment by Ken Vermette (not verified) Thu, 07/21/2011 - 21:54

Why not re-create several of the comics with real photos? Possibly put the photo-versions next to the original drawings. It would be neat for everyone to see what a comic might have actually looked like, and I don't see how it wouldn't be fun to relive those moments.

I could even see strips like http://www.johnnywander.com/comics/141 http://www.johnnywander.com/comics/72 http://www.johnnywander.com/comics/43 or http://www.johnnywander.com/comics/105 being easy to re-do and fun to see.

I want to see Yuko fight a

Comment by Badger (not verified) Thu, 07/21/2011 - 21:55

I want to see Yuko fight a bear.

To put in Vol 2

Comment by Matt (not verified) Thu, 07/21/2011 - 22:13

I would like it if you put the stories in the second vol. I say this because they are a nice break in between the autobio pages that you put up. So to have the the stories (like the little madiens and the lady with a skeleition hand, the baskilisk etc..(i know I spelt some wrong) would be great to see.

Some Idears: -You guys

Comment by Kyle (not verified) Thu, 07/21/2011 - 22:50

Some Idears:

-You guys should totally have a Fan Art Contest and include the winners in your book.

-I'd also like to see some more of Yuko's drawings/artwork

-The comic strip making process.

-The "Real" and "Comic" versions of the cast.

-Corner Flip Book

Hope these help!!!

-personally, i would like if

Comment by Blue Fox (not verified) Thu, 07/21/2011 - 22:56

-personally, i would like if you somehow included the comment that we can read in the site if one puts the mouse cursor over a comic.
also, more commentry to larger percentage of the comics.
- all the side comics like Cecilia and Death, The little Maidens and etc, but orgenized and not scattered around the book, for example, all of them in the end(and, naturally, in color).

John

Comment by Tjalfe (not verified) Fri, 07/22/2011 - 01:50

more John

Pokémon fanart!

Comment by Arthur (not verified) Fri, 07/22/2011 - 08:52

Pokémon fanart!

action scenes! WITH NO

Comment by Arklite (not verified) Fri, 07/22/2011 - 10:11

action scenes! WITH NO ACTUAL CONTEXT!

Yuko vs the martians!
Arnath Vs the deamon lord of mild annoyance!
John Vs the far too low door!
Rook Vs a shortcut pastry!

WITH ACTION LINES!

*ahem*

seriously though a nice big pile of more surreal sketchwork would be awesome, perhaps with some notes on the ideas behind them?

ah bugger, Ananth not

Comment by Arklite (not verified) Fri, 07/22/2011 - 10:12

ah bugger, Ananth not Arnath... the typo lord strikes again ^^

um

Comment by nalem (not verified) Fri, 07/22/2011 - 13:06

Batman stickers? :O

An Alienware Laptop...

Comment by Tsarstepan (not verified) Fri, 07/22/2011 - 21:45

with every purchase of Volume 2 please.

Cats

Comment by Bronwyn (not verified) Sun, 07/24/2011 - 13:07

I want to see what Mika, Rook, Laundry Cat and Gonta would look like if they were human.