5-minute shadow

5-minute shadow

Tue, 08/16/2011 - 16:37 by Ananth in response to every o'clock shadow

I'm happy to say I've met similarly afflicted people, because there was a long period during which no one else understood my frustration. I've been given a lot of advice about using a straight or safety razor and special lather brushes, which I should probably try out, but the bottom line is that I end up with stubble (or a temporary beard) mostly because I can't be bothered to shave more often. It's just ... so boring.

Regarding orders - we are behind! All orders we've received will ship THIS WEEK - I apologize if you've been waiting for a while. You'll receive a tracking number or a customs number via Paypal, so keep an eye out! New orders: if you make a new order tonight or tomorrow, it'll probably go out with the rest! In case you wanted to game my shipping schedule.

Are you guys interested in a livestream of Yuko working on a strip? You can watch her work in Photoshop while I answer any questions you might have for me or Yuko (I'd just be transcribing her responses). We're working out the logistics, but we'd probably post about that on Twitter, so here are our handles if you're interested:

ananthymous

aidosaur

If it works out, maybe Yuko can stream some of her color work later down the line? We'll see!

That's all for us! See you Thursday!

Comments

I would love that!!!

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Tue, 08/16/2011 - 16:46

I would love that!!!

Livestream!

Comment by Jennifer (not verified) Tue, 08/16/2011 - 16:46

Yes! Absolutely do livestream! :)

i'm the same way when it

Comment by DisposablePal (not verified) Tue, 08/16/2011 - 16:50

i'm the same way when it comes to shaving, i typically only do it once a week. I have sensitive skin and get burns and bumps pretty bad if i do it more often. So i've learned how to keep a mangable stubble.

Livestreams would be amazing, Yuko is crazy talented, maybe a little regular crazy too :)

I'm glad it's not just me!

Comment by Jimmy Carmine (not verified) Wed, 08/17/2011 - 07:03

I hate shaving for the exact same reason, after years of bleeding almost at the sight of a razor I switched to using an electric razor to keep it tidy and under control.

Dude, it's time to grow a

Comment by Rembrand (not verified) Tue, 08/16/2011 - 16:51

Dude, it's time to grow a full beard. You'll never have to worry about shaving again

Face Hair.

Comment by Al Paradise (not verified) Wed, 08/17/2011 - 09:57

Or a mustache! A powerful one.

THIS. ABSOLUTELY THIS. If

Comment by tahrey (not verified) Wed, 08/24/2011 - 08:26

THIS. ABSOLUTELY THIS.

If you wait until November to start then you can also pass it off as a charity effort (just remember to collect and donate the sponsorship) BUT THEN NOT SHAVE IT OFF ON DEC 1ST.

Comment by nut-case (not verified) Tue, 08/16/2011 - 16:53

Yes I so would watch

Ananth is so lucky

Comment by HappMacDonald (not verified) Tue, 08/16/2011 - 16:57

because, first panel D:

Srsly, looks like she'll knock you backward with her aggressive observationness. ;3

I know the pain!

Comment by DorranCarys (not verified) Tue, 08/16/2011 - 17:00

I was once like that... the best I could get was sandpaper immediately after shaving. Years ago, though, I just gave up and let it grow, and I've got to say, a full beard is pretty nice.

How to get yourself to shave regularly

Comment by Silk_Sk (not verified) Tue, 08/16/2011 - 17:04

I used to have the same problem. I just could not see shaving as a regular part of my life and almost saw it as a curse that my chin did not stay perpetually hairless. But then I changed a few things about the way I shaved. Maybe they will help you.

1. Dual wield razors. Yes, one in each hand, doing both sides of your face at once. It goes so much faster and it feels kind of badass so you don't dread it as much.

2. Shave in the shower. I've found that I don't really need a mirror to shave. Making it a sub-activity to showering instead of it's own cumbersome bathroom activity helped me shave a LOT more often.

These days I hardly ever think about shaving, yet it gets done anyway.

Dual Wielding razors? that's

Comment by Wing alpha (not verified) Tue, 08/16/2011 - 18:41

Dual Wielding razors? that's a new one.

anyhow my story, I think every morning I wake up with a stubble-which is a family thing from my father side, and my grandfather from my mother side.

I second the recommendation of shaving in the shower because, it has made my routine a LOT faster.

In complete honesty I would like having an Indiana Jones stubble permanently(because several people say It fits me oddly enough) , but it has become so much of a routine, I'm clean shaved every morning.

people been trying to convince me for years to try the tony stark look though

I'm pretty certain that's a

Comment by tahrey (not verified) Wed, 08/24/2011 - 08:31

I'm pretty certain that's a recipe for death by blood loss if you're not already ambidextrous O_O

Or if you survive maybe you come out of the bathroom able to write with both hands?

And any time I've shaved without a mirror I've missed a bit. You've gotta have a good memory (which I ain't)... just sayin'

Might work for the both of you but it's perhaps not guaranteed.

useless razors

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Tue, 08/16/2011 - 17:06

I have yet to find a razor that works well enough. My wife says I have a "10 o'clock shadow". Really, it still feels like sandpaper right after shaving.

How to get yourself to shave regularly (addendum)

Comment by Silk_Sk (not verified) Tue, 08/16/2011 - 17:08

I forgot to mention this. When shaving in the shower, use shampoo instead of shaving cream. It works just as well and you'll save money.

And if you have trouble with

Comment by Regular Polyhedra (not verified) Tue, 08/16/2011 - 18:48

And if you have trouble with razor burn, use conditioner instead of shaving cream. It helps a ton! This goes for girls too. I do that for my legs all the time, haha.

For the past 10+ years I've

Comment by tahrey (not verified) Wed, 08/24/2011 - 08:34

For the past 10+ years I've used nothing more than a sparing amount of liquid hand-soap - just enough to make a tiny lather, or in some cases, just to make the skin slippery. That's all you need. And its sure as hell kinder to your skin than whatever's in the foam.

I think shaving foam was maybe born of an era when all hand soap was in block form, and was itself pretty pernicious stuff. Needing a badger hair brush in order to work up a lather, etc.

Then again I've always been blessed enough to live in reasonably "soft" water areas where you're fairly guaranteed of getting bubbles rather than scum when adding soap to water, so it's maybe of some use if your water's really hard? All the same - shower gel should still do the trick...

I'd shave at 5am before I

Comment by Arif K. (not verified) Tue, 08/16/2011 - 17:13

I'd shave at 5am before I head out, by 1pm my stubble would be visible. =__=

Livestreaming is an awesome idea!

=D

Comment by Y? (not verified) Tue, 08/16/2011 - 17:20

My sister's friend has facial hair like that but he also ends up burning out electric shaver motors in just one shave so I guess you're still lucky =P

Livestream, please!

Comment by pandiculator (not verified) Tue, 08/16/2011 - 17:24

I would love to watch a livestream!

It really is a complete pain

Comment by benBearz (not verified) Tue, 08/16/2011 - 17:28

It really is a complete pain if your like this, its gotten to the point where I only shave if it gets to the point where I'm starting to get a full on hobo beard, or I'm about to go out somewhere nice.

Only problem is that when I do shave, I seem to shave around 5+ years off, so I tend to want a little bit of stubble anyway, so perhaps its not such a bad thing for me :D

It's nice to know there are

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Tue, 08/16/2011 - 17:38

It's nice to know there are other 5-Minute Shadow folks out there!

I use a manual razor to get as close to my face as possible and use products to help with my sensitive skin, and yet it's still a 5-Minute Shadow (I love this term, by the way).

The only times I've seen my face with no stubble since junior high has been for theatre productions using heavy foundations and latex (to play a younger child)... No thanks, haha.

Yes live stream! and about

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Tue, 08/16/2011 - 17:49

Yes live stream! and about the stubble, WAX IT OFF! muahah

YOU MONSTER!

Comment by tahrey (not verified) Wed, 08/24/2011 - 08:35

YOU MONSTER!

Livesteam?

Comment by Gnomie (not verified) Tue, 08/16/2011 - 17:49

That sounds awesome!

The Perpetually Shadowed Ones

Comment by MikeM (not verified) Tue, 08/16/2011 - 18:08

You're not alone in the facial-hair-healing-factor power. I'm more shocked that you went for so long without meeting anyone else with the same situation! All those "tips" on shaving must've been irritating. My power is coupled with hair made of steel; I destroy blades and make electric shavers suffer an endless torment...

I take it from panel one that you've got a flinch reflex - does Yuko savagely beat you when we're not looking? We won't tell her you told us...

Man, let that shit grow!

Comment by ColdFusion (not verified) Tue, 08/16/2011 - 18:14

the best part about going razorless is the hair has a chance to get super soft and nice to touch! Get your grow on!

Death Before Clean Shaven!

Comment by Hyle (not verified) Tue, 08/16/2011 - 18:27

I barely remember shaving except for the fact that I know I don't miss it. I decided to grow a beard back in '02. About 3 years ago, I decided to see where it would go without a lot of intervention from me (aside from cleaning, combing, brushing etc). I've got to say I like my beard even though I can literally sit at my desk and put my arm on it without leaning over very far. It's also nice since many women in my circles have an overwhelming urge braid it. Let's just say a women in a bodice/corset braiding your beard always has a good view :D

I have a mohawk, and my

Comment by Regular Polyhedra (not verified) Tue, 08/16/2011 - 18:49

I have a mohawk, and my boyfriend wanted to shave it down to the skin instead of me just keeping it buzzed. Not even an hour later, I had head o'clock shadow. -_-

Livestream!

Comment by Anii (not verified) Tue, 08/16/2011 - 18:59

A livestream would be most cool! I tried doing my own the other day, but it made my Cintiq lag a lot....

Shaving-

Comment by William A. Righetti (not verified) Tue, 08/16/2011 - 19:20

The frustration I have is, I can't even grow proper stubble let alone a beard, so I have to shave often or I look prepubescent and homeless. And then the stubble is back in less than eight hours.

ALSO +1 ON LIVESTREAM

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Tue, 08/16/2011 - 19:40

So...Ananth is basically Will from Octopus Pie?

Man, I'm so glad I'm not a dude! Shaving legs is bad enough (why didn't I get the hairless Asian gene instead of the allergic-to-alcohol one? whyyyyyy) but sharp objects on your face? Eeep!

I didn't get either. So I

Comment by Kitsu (not verified) Thu, 08/18/2011 - 16:06

I didn't get either. So I can drink and have hairy legs. Hahaha.

Try waxing. I don't see why

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Tue, 08/16/2011 - 19:47

Try waxing. I don't see why men don't jump on this (besides the pain).

Pretty much the pain

Comment by Anonymous, duh (not verified) Wed, 08/24/2011 - 08:41

Pretty much the pain element. A couple minutes running a safety razor (a completely pain free exercise so long as you're not an absolute klutz) over your face, vs applying strips of paper with hot wax on to your skin, letting it cool then tearing it off?

Egads. I'd take shaving with a straightedge razor before that, I think.

Never mind that the skin is somewhat less resilient there than on the legs, and isn't so well attached to the skin and muscle (particularly around the lips and cheeks, which are the main facial hair areas).

No, just no.

BTW I have surpreme respect for women who... how can i put this... oh yes. Bikini Wax. EEEEYYYAAGGHH. I've got things stuck to / tangled in the hair down there before, and if your level of sensitivity is even vaguely the same as ours, tearing it out (something I resorted to only when it became clear scissors were no longer an option) is tantamount to torture. Pulling a single stray one out of the nose is bad enough.

My sentiments exact

Comment by Ou7 (not verified) Tue, 08/16/2011 - 19:58

I also struggle with the same thing when it comes to shaving. So I just use a hair clipper whenever I have to go out. I only shave for job interviews and going to work if they care about facial hair.

Also yey, livestream of Yuko drawing

Me = 5 day shadow.

Comment by the DECk (not verified) Tue, 08/16/2011 - 20:41

I have a beard, but when I shave off it's a slow grower, I don't get proper stubble, a few of weeks to get back to my former beard glory.

Some would day it would be a blessing, I call it a curse as I like my beard, but sometimes it's nice to just shave it off, but I hate how long it takes to grow back.

Speaking of hair, I should get a haircut.

Read before posting, phoo.

Comment by the DECk (not verified) Tue, 08/16/2011 - 21:17

Eh, what atrocious grammar. I apologize.

I'm -somewhat- similar. (to the above, not Ananth. HAHA I wish.)

Comment by Raiser (not verified) Wed, 08/17/2011 - 15:35

Visibly, I'm clean for a day or so after I shave, and -slowly- start to come in again. Being pale-skinned and a natural red-head, it takes some time for my face-fuzz to take on a color that isn't identical to flesh-tone.

Physically, DIRECTLY AFTER SHAVING I could clean the bark off a tree with my cheeks. I've actually popped a balloon (albeit a cheap one) by rubbing it on my face!

I also apparently have a face made of concrete. A little water and my 3-blade razor is all I need. 'Course, I shave with the grain. Shave against, and I can get that silken smoothness, but end up looking like I'm hitting puberty again. (And yes, I've tried shaving cream, shaving gel, and a handful of other methods.)

As it is, I don't exactly have a very public lifestyle (not that I can get one around here, but that's a gripe for another rant) so it's not exactly imperative that I'm "perfectly" clean shaven. Also I'm trying various methods to get my face to produce something more than peachfuzz above the chin.

But hey, if I ever get REALLY bored I can shave my head and face bald and then just keep the ragged edges trimmed and I look like a lion! Rawr!

Beardsplosion

Comment by Bob (not verified) Tue, 08/16/2011 - 20:51

I'm in the same boat... er... beardboat. I may have arrived at the same phrase to describe it once. The best description I've heard though was from a friend of mine with the same beardpower.

Upon being asked why he never shaves, he said "Are you kiddin' me? Normal people have beards. I got f*ckin' trees growin' outta my face! With mushrooms 'n' sh*t!"

HAIR UP THERE

Comment by minetruly (not verified) Tue, 08/16/2011 - 20:51

Three words:

Laser

Hair

Removal.

Also, I knew a guy with your problem. His tragedy was deepened by the fact he was a transvestite whose only desire was to look like a Japanese girl. Being built like a brick wall also did not help.

The never ending stubble

Comment by Aric (not verified) Tue, 08/16/2011 - 21:50

I know how you feel Ananth, i have natural black hair and even after i shave not only can you still see my "beard outline" and shaddow... It's frickin stubbly and scratchy again within an hour or so after shaving! Hahaha! Its like trying to build a house of cards in a hurricane! Its not gonna work for long =]

Thank You! I don't feel so

Comment by Craig (not verified) Tue, 08/16/2011 - 23:54

Thank You! I don't feel so alone anymore! My 5 o'clock shadow comes somewhere around 10am. If I didn't have the neckbeard I wouldn't mind it so much. To make matters worse I'm starting to lose the hair on top of my head. x_x

On the note about the straight edge razor, I can attest that it's probably one of the best shaves you'll ever get. Unfortunately I haven't really found a place where I could buy one. But I did find an old fashioned shaving kit (shave soap, brush, and dish) at Walmart one time. Works pretty well.

Yeah, that is hell.

Comment by Tom (not verified) Wed, 08/17/2011 - 01:04

Yeah, that is hell. Especially if you used to be known for having an insanely thick head of hair. orz

I'm rather fond of my Weishi safety razor. Straight edge razors make me cringe. I just know I would accidentally slit my throat, since I occasionally have arm twitches.

I for one would be VERY

Comment by JamesMusicus (not verified) Tue, 08/16/2011 - 23:58

I for one would be VERY interested in Yuko livestreaming. And not for my usual psuedo-creepy reasons!

Worth it

Comment by whatahootowl (not verified) Wed, 08/17/2011 - 00:00

Livestream would be exciting! It would be nice to see how she does the comic strip.

Live streaming would be so

Comment by Plus One (not verified) Wed, 08/17/2011 - 00:14

Live streaming would be so awesome. Also, it'd give me a bit of a heads up of what time the comic'd be up.

Livestream

Comment by Bai Usagi (not verified) Wed, 08/17/2011 - 01:18

Yuko's line work is so cool, I'd love to see it done live.

Ah man my boyfriend has the

Comment by Steph (not verified) Wed, 08/17/2011 - 01:18

Ah man my boyfriend has the same problem. He used to work where he couldnt keep any stubble. He would have to shave every morning. Then he switched and went beard crazy and I never saw his chin ever again.

I vote for live streaming, it'd be pretty awesome. I'm curious to see her process in creating such amazing comics!

Honestly, all I do is use a

Comment by STx (not verified) Wed, 08/17/2011 - 03:09

Honestly, all I do is use a trimmer guard on my Wahl beard trimmer and go over it once a week. Keeps it at a good, constant length