5-minute shadow

5-minute shadow

Tue, 08/16/2011 - 16:37 by Ananth in response to every o'clock shadow

I'm happy to say I've met similarly afflicted people, because there was a long period during which no one else understood my frustration. I've been given a lot of advice about using a straight or safety razor and special lather brushes, which I should probably try out, but the bottom line is that I end up with stubble (or a temporary beard) mostly because I can't be bothered to shave more often. It's just ... so boring.

Regarding orders - we are behind! All orders we've received will ship THIS WEEK - I apologize if you've been waiting for a while. You'll receive a tracking number or a customs number via Paypal, so keep an eye out! New orders: if you make a new order tonight or tomorrow, it'll probably go out with the rest! In case you wanted to game my shipping schedule.

Are you guys interested in a livestream of Yuko working on a strip? You can watch her work in Photoshop while I answer any questions you might have for me or Yuko (I'd just be transcribing her responses). We're working out the logistics, but we'd probably post about that on Twitter, so here are our handles if you're interested:

ananthymous

aidosaur

If it works out, maybe Yuko can stream some of her color work later down the line? We'll see!

That's all for us! See you Thursday!

Comments

Interesting post. I have

Comment by Web Hosting (not verified) Wed, 08/17/2011 - 04:12

Interesting post. I have been wondering about this topic, so thanks for posting. I’ll definitely be subscribing to your site. Keep up the good posts

ALERT! ALERT!

Comment by Raiser (not verified) Wed, 08/17/2011 - 15:37

We've got robots in the facility! ALERT! The machines have infiltrated, and they apparently are interested in shaving and want to sell us web hosting? I... dunno why!

I know several guys that

Comment by Khazm (not verified) Wed, 08/17/2011 - 06:36

I know several guys that have this 'problem'. Personally I looooove beards so it's all good for me. :)

Also: yes, yes, yes to the live streaming. I follow a couple of artists that do this already and it's always super interesting.

I'd watch that livestream!

Comment by Davisherm (not verified) Wed, 08/17/2011 - 06:41

I'd love to watch the creative process. If you guys could set that up, it would be pretty cool.

Shaving is so tediousssssssss

Comment by Jingseng (not verified) Wed, 08/17/2011 - 07:06

i put it in the same category as breathing and eating. Curiously, sleeping is absent from that category.

Interestingly though, my bombay loves to rub her cheeks (and teeth) against my stubble. So that's a plausible cover story?

shaving...

Comment by wolfboynyc (not verified) Wed, 08/17/2011 - 07:42

I have similar issues with shaving. I usually start having 5 0'clock shadow by 10am. The skin on my face is kind of sensitive so I cant really shave every day. What works best for me is shaving in the shower. I always end up with a much closer shave that way and most of the time don't even use shaving cream. Just make sure you pre soak your face a bit before shaving.

The live streaming idea is pretty cool. Its always nice to see the artistic process at work.

I'm with you man on not

Comment by George (not verified) Wed, 08/17/2011 - 09:30

I'm with you man on not feeling like shaving. I'm told I look best when I shave, but I just can't be bothered to do it more than twice a week. Often it's only once a week.

My husband also has this

Comment by Rai (not verified) Wed, 08/17/2011 - 09:47

My husband also has this mutant power. Except he has pale pale Irish skin and black black course (curly) hair. Even when his face is baby smooth (ok, not really possible -- he gets lots of razor burn and then the hair is back in an hour) you can still see the hair under his skin...

A far cry from the guys in my family who have very little body hair (seriously, less hair on their legs than I do!). And no matter their hair color, their body hair is always blonde, making the little but they do have practically invisible. Most get nothing but peach fuzz on their chins.

Lucky for my hubby I like stubble :-)

Electric razor

Comment by ks (not verified) Wed, 08/17/2011 - 10:56

Yeah.

Like other commentators I have found an electric razor to be the way to go. A decent one will shave almost as close as a blade and it's so much less fuss, and easier to fit it into odd parts of the day rather than having to be part of your morning or evening constitution.

5-Minute Shadow

Comment by Rorek (not verified) Wed, 08/17/2011 - 11:01

My roommate has your affliction. He has a 5-o-clock shadow by noon, and keeps disposable razors EVERYWHERE to compensate. He has some in the glovebox, some in his desk at work, and scattered through his various work and hobby places. I feel for him, and you.

WAXING.

Comment by Mukki (not verified) Wed, 08/17/2011 - 13:46

WAXING.

Poor man will have a red

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Wed, 08/17/2011 - 14:25

Poor man will have a red face for the rest of the day, so cruel. D:

Eeugh.

Comment by Raiser (not verified) Wed, 08/17/2011 - 15:41

Waxing HURTS! You're RIPPING THE HAIR OUT BY THE ROOT! NnnnNNaaAGHN just the thought makes my goatee want to shrivel back into my face, why would you ever do that?

(My mother was waxing her legs once. I asked why. I was ten. I learned not to ask of such things. My poor, poor arms...)

Waxing

Comment by Kitsu (not verified) Thu, 08/18/2011 - 16:14

It's not that bad, but honestly for a child it will be worse. Children have more sensitive nerves than teens and adults.

I've waxed and tweezed hair. The worst that's happened was I bled a little. Once you get used to it, it doesn't hurt anymore and it grows out finer.

No. No, no, no, no, no, no,

Comment by tahrey (not verified) Wed, 08/24/2011 - 08:44

No. No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, NO.

OK?t

My dad is the same way. He

Comment by Mr. Morningstar (not verified) Wed, 08/17/2011 - 13:53

My dad is the same way. He always has a stubble no matter how much he shaves :I

The stubble is lovable.

Comment by Suri (not verified) Wed, 08/17/2011 - 14:24

The stubble is lovable. Embrace your inner stubble, man. ;D

One of my friends has a

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Wed, 08/17/2011 - 16:42

One of my friends has a beard so persistent and coarse that he shaves every morning and absolutely destroys the razor (electric, disposable, even the old kind you find at the barber), so every birthday everyone includes a pack of disposables along with a gift!

I have this same problem,

Comment by Alex Rowley (not verified) Wed, 08/17/2011 - 18:30

I have this same problem, but you're trying harder than I am. I've just given up on shaving and stick with the full beard. Been reading for awhile guys, but this is the first comment I've left, keep the humor coming.

livestream

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Thu, 08/18/2011 - 01:20

Please do! I love Yuko's work!!

Same problem

Comment by Fara (not verified) Thu, 08/18/2011 - 05:39

I have the same problem. Even when shaving in the shower, my face still had that shadow look.

So I switched to double edged safety razors. Insanely close shave. Very smooth and looks good too.

Hey, I feel your pain! I've

Comment by Pike (not verified) Thu, 08/18/2011 - 06:30

Hey, I feel your pain! I've been reading your comic and comments for a while and felt I'd throw my experience in the mix.

I currently use an old fashioned razor to shave, since I can get more control, the regular "Mach N" just don't really cut it and anyways I end up just maintaining stubble all the time.
The rare times I go for the smooth shave, I find the ONLY way to get rid of that is to shave once or twice, then go back again across the grain... IT'S SUPER PAINFUL but.... I find it's the only way to get a true "baby face". Splash some aftershave/skin care on, wait an hour for your skin to settle and go out knowing you look super smooth.

... but ... the shaving takes a LOT of practice, and I've never seen the same results for myself with one of those newfangled devices.

I can't even get rid of the

Comment by Mirar (not verified) Thu, 08/18/2011 - 13:53

I can't even get rid of the stubble. Which is the main reason why I've had a beard since I was 22 or so. Just have to trim it every week or so so it looks nice.

I maintain a permanent 5 0'

Comment by Tom (not verified) Thu, 08/18/2011 - 15:28

I maintain a permanent 5 0' clock too. I used to hate shaving, and I'm still not a huge fan of it, but it's gotten better. See, I hate shaving, and the fresh stubble that inevitably pops out within ten minutes of shaving. But I ALSO hate the itchy scratchy stages of early beard growth. I've gone all grizzly Adams only twice in my life. Once when I just got fed up completely with the whole thing, and then after a motorcycle wreck. Hard to shave when you can't reach your face.

But the thing that's helped me out and lets me shave more without all the irritation? Double-sided safety razors. less irritating, and better at cutting through the heavy growth on the face. Also, while expensive to start up, cheaper to use in the long run.

Stubble King

Comment by Kitsu (not verified) Thu, 08/18/2011 - 15:59

I know my boyfriend is the same way. He shaves in the morning and not even half way through the day you can see the stubble creeping up! I don't mind though, I end up just playing with it. Hahaha. I hear if you shave against the grain it's suppose to cut it shorter, but then you have more of a chance to get ingrown hairs. But if you moisturize it can lower the chances of the ingrown hairs. =x

cheap stuff that works

Comment by josh (not verified) Thu, 08/18/2011 - 19:58

I shave with an old 1964 Gillette saf-t-razor with double sided blades(ebay) and picked up some cheap shaving cream called rise at an everything's a dollar store. its the best shave i ever had. rise is more like a lotion that comes in a toothpaste tube, rather than an actual can. my face gets irritated if i use the regular stuff. the great thing is that the blades are only 2 bucks and the creme is only a dollar so it's easy on the wallet. i got my old razor off e-bay. i'd just go with the rise first, see if it helps.

If you really want it

Comment by Charlie (not verified) Fri, 08/19/2011 - 06:55

If you really want it smooth, then try this:

1) Shave with the grain
2)Then shave across, sideways, w/e.
3)Finally, shave against the grain.

It'll be supah smooth.

Sideways?! That sounds...

Comment by tahrey (not verified) Wed, 08/24/2011 - 08:45

Sideways?!

That sounds... dangerous. I've only ever done up & down if you know what I mean.

I may give it a go, but I'm going to make sure I've finally got my life insurance sorted first.

You are Desperate

Comment by tahrey (not verified) Wed, 08/24/2011 - 08:47

You are Desperate Dan!

Embrace it, Ananth. Start wearing 10-gallon hats, plaid shirts, cowboy boots (with spurs) and braces to hold up your jeans.

Oh and gain 250lbs, half of it muscle, by eating Cow Pies ;-) ... because how else are you going to get a sick bull to the vet other than carrying it over your shoulder?