Bouldering!

Bouldering!

Thu, 08/18/2011 - 18:07 by Ananth in response to save yourself

We started climbing a few months ago with our friend L! We go to a gym that mostly specializes in indoor bouldering (although they have some belaying walls). The way it works is that there are molded plastic holds affixed to the wall, and the holds are all marked with different colors - each color represents a route, and each route is marked with a difficulty level. Anyway, there's been a kid's camp there for a couple of weeks, which is adorable - but they don't give a damn about safety! To be fair, I didn't either when I was 7. Kids are made out of rubber, right?

Positive reaction to the idea of a livestream! We'll announce it on Twitter - here's our handles again:

ananthymous

aidosaur

And we'll try to do it more than once, in case you miss the first time.

There are thunderheads rolling in, so I'll sign off here! See you next time!

Comments

Haha. Kids ARE made from

Comment by C. Ellis (not verified) Thu, 08/18/2011 - 18:10

Haha. Kids ARE made from rubber. Awesome as always. :)
I'm looking forward to the livestream whenever you guys can get to it. :D Thank you for being open to that idea.

Climb to safety!

Comment by Mujaki (not verified) Thu, 08/18/2011 - 18:29

Looks more like Yuko had the right idea.
Get to higher ground when the FLOOD comes rolling in!

climbing

Comment by cannibal_hect0r (not verified) Thu, 08/18/2011 - 18:59

I've been climbing for many years now (including outside) Love to hear when others decide to join our little tribe of monkeys! Keep it up it's super fun and really teaches you things about yourself.

I can't be the only one

Comment by meanderling (not verified) Thu, 08/18/2011 - 19:03

I can't be the only one reminded of the antelope stampede scene from The Lion King...

dude that guy's hair is

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Thu, 08/18/2011 - 19:16

dude that guy's hair is cute

ALSO this made me laugh so fetching hard

GET TO DA CHOPPAH!

Comment by Jason (not verified) Thu, 08/18/2011 - 19:21

GET TO DA CHOPPAH!

Ananth: Scar! My brother,

Comment by Garfunkel (not verified) Thu, 08/18/2011 - 19:30

Ananth: Scar! My brother, save me!
Yuko: Long live the king.
Ananth: Noooooooooo!

hah

Comment by theshim (not verified) Thu, 08/18/2011 - 19:39

I think I might have actually seen you guys there! I went bouldering with a friend (and by "with" I mean "he showed up a good two hours after he said he would and I was all sadface") and there were a couple people there that were bugging me with recognition, but I couldn't place it.

Damn.

(It is also of course possible that it was a couple of completely random strangers and I am a doofus. This happens more often than I'd care to admit.)

;w;

Comment by Nessa (not verified) Thu, 08/18/2011 - 20:04

Hahahaha   Thank you!

Comment by Ananth Fri, 08/19/2011 - 09:36

Hahahaha

Thank you!

Hrmm

Comment by D (not verified) Thu, 08/18/2011 - 20:40

The bottom-right grip on the first panel looks like a grumpy potato. Or it's just me.

Could it be?

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Thu, 08/18/2011 - 21:10

That wouldn't happen to be BKB would it?

Conrad's hair is??

Comment by Stubble-o'clock (not verified) Thu, 08/18/2011 - 21:44

Is that still an animal on Conrad's head, or does he actually have a mohawk now?!? o_O

Nope

Comment by Aido Thu, 08/18/2011 - 22:04

Sorry, that's our friend L.

This afternoon's all too brief downpour....

Comment by Tsarstepan (not verified) Thu, 08/18/2011 - 21:58

That NYC hail was fun if quite short lived.

love this

Comment by Harper (not verified) Thu, 08/18/2011 - 22:16

I love this comic! Just the mob of them boiling forth looks so funny. Kids at gyms are a weird experiences: I've gotten great route advice from kids who can hella out climb me. I've had a little kid on a trip with boy scouts follow me around like a puppy. Once I even had to climb around a kid who was bold enough and rude enough to put his hand on a hold that my foot was already on!

Can I ask where you go

Comment by Miriam (not verified) Thu, 08/18/2011 - 22:32

Can I ask where you go bouldering? Also a New Yorker here who dabbles in climbing, and I've been looking for alternatives to the place where I've gone in the past, which is expensive for poor college students T_T

climbing sweet spot

Comment by Marsha (not verified) Thu, 08/18/2011 - 22:32

Ahhhahaha, oh the wall of noise that is climbing camp! The kids camp ends at 3:30, and from then till about 5:30 -when all the adults come to climb- the gym hits a quiet sweet spot where all the routes are free. I highly recommend coming at this time if you have a flexible schedule.

best misunderstanding ever

Comment by Waffles (not verified) Thu, 08/18/2011 - 22:36

At first I didn't know it was a rock climbing wall. So what registered was Yuko flying away on a bunch of mushrooms before a stampede of children rushed by. It's like if Dali made comics.

I saw lollipops, not

Comment by Ilmoran (not verified) Fri, 08/19/2011 - 04:27

I saw lollipops, not mushrooms. Was wondering what kind of whacked out dream was being recorded where Yuko was escaping by jumping between falling candy...

You're not alone in thinking

Comment by Nick (not verified) Fri, 08/19/2011 - 05:30

You're not alone in thinking this!

Heh!

Comment by Al Paradise (not verified) Fri, 08/19/2011 - 10:08

I also thought mushrooms. And that this was a hallucination. And then I read Ananth's post.

Yuko, get down!

Comment by Raiser (not verified) Fri, 08/19/2011 - 11:01

I saw the words and mistook the hand-holds for background musical notes, so for some reason I thought it was a freeze-frame in the middle of Yuko doing some kickin' rad dance moves. Panel two didn't do anything to assuage it, either, what with the rad mohawk. I expected panel three to be the return of the Time Traveling 80s Rapper or something.

Love rockclimbing

Comment by Jon Mohr (not verified) Thu, 08/18/2011 - 22:42

If you guys come out to LI there is a good rockclimbing place in Plainview, maybe if you come out next I-Con?

Hah. At first I though yuko

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Thu, 08/18/2011 - 22:48

Hah. At first I though yuko was having a dream about climbing a torrential downpour of mushroom and lamb chops.

I thought it was a downpour

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Fri, 08/19/2011 - 00:09

I thought it was a downpour of fortune cookies. :)

BOULDERING!!

Comment by Oma (not verified) Thu, 08/18/2011 - 23:44

Ha i love bouldering!! im guess you guys went to Brooklyn Boulders? Maybe? I'm from LI, me and a few friends go out to Island Rock (plainview) a lot, we've heard about Brooklyn Boulders. It's such a great sport. We get the swarm of 7 yr old girls in our gym too - and its funny. The music they play is usually off someone's ipod - indie, ska, rock, ect. Mysteriously the music changes to pop radio when little girls are around...

You left out all those super

Comment by L. Nichols (not verified) Fri, 08/19/2011 - 00:09

You left out all those super Georgia O'Keeffe holds! I'm disappointed, Yuko ;)

Bouldering in fun and I shall miss it

Comment by Fish (not verified) Fri, 08/19/2011 - 00:27

A friend and I found a place to go bouldering a few months ago and we have been going when we get a chance. But he just went off to school and I'm heading to Boston soon. Hopefully I can find a place there, anyone have some suggestions?

Whats the weirdest/funniest handhold you've seen? I'v seen a face and a telephone and both made me laugh pretty hard, the face was hard to use though.

Yay, Climbing!

Comment by Psydotek (not verified) Fri, 08/19/2011 - 01:09

I started climbing about 4 months ago. Started with bouldering, and just got certified for lead climbing today. It's fun!

Streaming

Comment by Bluecho (not verified) Fri, 08/19/2011 - 02:25

I've seen those things before. Myself, I never really had the proclivity to climb things in such a manner when I was a lad, and becoming as large and out of shape as I am, bouldering now would be quite impossible. That and my knee got totally messed up in the past, so now it gives me all kinds of grief.

On a less depressing note, if you're going to be streaming, why don't you make like Katie of Awkward Zombie fame and record a stream of the comic making progress? Like, stream yourself making each page, and post a link in the description.

Just a thought.

Hey man, just wanted to say

Comment by Ananth Fri, 08/19/2011 - 09:46

Hey man, just wanted to say that a bad knee and a bad wrist are part of the reason I started climbing. You can effectively build the muscles around your knee to take the load off. With my wrist I've been re-building flexibility - again, with some success. And being large and out of shape is no problem either - there are a few big out-of-shape guys at the gym regularly, and I think most of them naturally have larger muscles and more power in their arms than I do because they can power through some climbs that I had to work my way up to.

Exercise is a little monotonous for me, but climbing is a mental game as well as a physical one, so I find it engaging - you have to decode the best way to take a path. If it helps, think of it like a video game. If I grind on enough V0s, I eventually get good enough to do a V1.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll look into it!

adorable

Comment by Jasmine P (not verified) Fri, 08/19/2011 - 04:23

Yuko, I love how you draw background/generic crowds and the stampede of children here does not let me down. :)

I hope all of you guys have a good weekend!

For all of five seconds I

Comment by Nick (not verified) Fri, 08/19/2011 - 05:27

For all of five seconds I thought that climbing wall was a rain of mushrooms, and Yuko was flying through them backwards.

lol

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Fri, 08/19/2011 - 08:13

poor ananth and conrad XD they must have been ran over for about five mins. I'd imagine one of the kids pulling ananth's hat off, and pulling on the mohawk, conrad has XD

Yay climbing!

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Fri, 08/19/2011 - 08:35

Climbing is a lot of fun, its great to hear you guys are getting in to it. HAVE FUN!

flashback

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Fri, 08/19/2011 - 09:44

haha this kinda reminds me of that scene from the lion king from when i was a kid. NOOO MUFASA

bouldering!

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Fri, 08/19/2011 - 11:42

omg now ananth and yuko climb :D
but srsly i thought you were sketching a dream sequence cuz the holds kinda looked like floating lollipops and popsicles :P

Nice

Comment by Asvdwerf (not verified) Fri, 08/19/2011 - 12:24

Nice, a few of my favorite artists discovering my favorite sport :D (both climbing long routes and bouldering) Great :D

Bouldering! If you ever come

Comment by D2k (not verified) Fri, 08/19/2011 - 12:38

Bouldering!
If you ever come to Austin I can show you around all the bouldering down here.
What level are you guys climbing?

Been there!

Comment by Zach (not verified) Fri, 08/19/2011 - 17:36

Oh man, once, I was on the top of a really dicey route, looked down to see if I was cleared to drop, and saw an 8-12 year old girl holding her hands up, ready to catch me if I fell. I weigh about 180 lbs; she must have been
"Uh, hun, can you move, please?"

Why only Twitter?

Comment by Kate Frizzell (not verified) Fri, 08/19/2011 - 21:20

Can't you announce it on Yuko's tumblr, too? I've never had a Twitter account but I would be really interested in seeing the livestream!

Climbing=Awesome

Comment by Kristina (not verified) Sat, 08/20/2011 - 11:18

Yea, these kids are badass. There a some in the gym that I go to that are lead belaying and doing 11b's. Have fun with the climbing. If you are ever out in Boulder, there are some great outdoor sport climbs to do.

I thought yuko was

Comment by Jia (not verified) Sat, 08/20/2011 - 11:25

I thought yuko was levitating through a rain of mushrooms! I couldn't stop laughing when I realized my mistake :p

Climbing is an awesome

Comment by Nate (not verified) Sat, 08/20/2011 - 17:50

Climbing is an awesome hobby! I love it. You guys have to climb outdoors eventually. It's totally worth it.

Lol, I read all of them in 2

Comment by Julia (not verified) Sat, 08/20/2011 - 21:26

Lol, I read all of them in 2 days. Had to stay up until 2:35am yesterday reading. I just finished!!! :P I'm looking forward to your new comics. I love you guys!

Excuse me. EXCUSE ME.

Comment by GuyFugly (not verified) Sun, 08/21/2011 - 02:54

Excuse me. EXCUSE ME. AHEM.

I believe a bouldering "route" is called a "problem" ahem ahem ahem

Livestream/tumblr

Comment by Nirdian (not verified) Sun, 08/21/2011 - 14:32

Do you guys think you could announce the streaming on tumblr as well? (I'm already following both of you, btw) Please? :)

Boulder=Win

Comment by Moochicken (not verified) Sun, 08/21/2011 - 21:10

where do you guys boulder? I just got into rock climbing and have done only a little bit of bouldering. It's way hard and much more tiring than regular climbing.

Bouldering! :D

Comment by Sukiyo (not verified) Mon, 08/22/2011 - 09:04

I was just out bouldering on Saturday. My forearms are soooore~ haha
Going to Austin soon to do some outdoor climbing :)
Keep up the bouldering comics xD I'm going to send this to my boyfriend.