Cats & Robots

Cats & Robots

Tue, 08/23/2011 - 15:30 by Ananth in response to naming the kitten

Cricket is the most appropriate name, but I think Space Race is still my favorite. Detective Goku Mustang is a close second. In order of appearance: Yuko, Lela, me, Evan, KC Green, Rich, L and Yuko.

I don't make plugs on this site often these days (so busy!), but I wanted to mention a comic called Atomic Robo. It's not a webcomic, but there are some free comics up on the web, so take a look! Also worth a look is their list of simple rules for things they'll never do in Robo, a list that often informs my own approach. There are 5 trade paperbacks currently out, all of which I own and I've read and reread. Each story is self-contained and fun, so you can jump on at any time. And it's all ages! Which always surprises me - a comic this smart being accessible to kids.

I find that webcomics readers don't necessarily identify as comics readers, but believe me when I say that the spirit of webcomics is alive and well in Atomic Robo - as it should be, considering that Brian Clevinger is webcomics alumni. Give it a look!

Anyway, bottom line: we're Atomic Robo fans. So when Brian and Scott Wegener (Team Robo's artist) asked Yuko to do some pages, she was understandably thrilled! After she submitted those, Brian and Scott asked her to ... well, let me just quote Yuko's Tumblr,

For an upcoming issue, Brian and Scott requested that I (and a few of their other female artist friends) design 50’s fighter pilot versions of ourselves.  This is stupidly exciting and I’m stupidly excited.  Omigosh omigosh omigosh I’m gunna be in Atomic Robo

Pretty cool!

On that note, we're out! Catch you Thursday!

Comments

OMG CUTEST THING EVER~!

Comment by C. Ellis (not verified) Tue, 08/23/2011 - 15:43

OMG CUTEST THING EVER~! Besides Rook, of course. :P
But how does that 'chirrup' sound? I'm not sure I've ever heard a cat make a sound like a cricket, unless it's that weird hunting chirp thing they do. ^__^;;
If you guys catch a recording of her doing that sound, please do post it. I am (as I'm sure many others are) very curious to what that sound is. ^__^;;

Would it be possible to get

Comment by Qwazzerman (not verified) Tue, 08/23/2011 - 15:44

Would it be possible to get a sound or video clip of Cricket's chirp? (I don't remember hearing it in the video of him and Rook). It sounds (er, looks) adorable.

Seconded.

Comment by Lyndse (not verified) Tue, 08/23/2011 - 15:56

Seconded.

This, please this! I've been

Comment by N (not verified) Tue, 08/23/2011 - 20:26

This, please this! I've been wondering what she sounds like since the very first comic with her.

chirrup = trill

Comment by Wheat (not verified) Wed, 08/24/2011 - 00:20

Yes, I too would like to

Comment by George (not verified) Wed, 08/24/2011 - 07:05

Yes, I too would like to know what this sounds like.

I think I found a video that

Comment by tahrey (not verified) Wed, 08/24/2011 - 08:53

I think I found a video that seemed pretty close on what the description sounds like - very similar to yours too - and linked to it on the previous chirping-cat comic... too lazy to go find it again :)

I figure it'd be much like that, but a bit higher pitched given it's a kitten and all. So, very cricket-like.

That's cute! My parents

Comment by Qiam (not verified) Tue, 08/23/2011 - 15:47

That's cute! My parents bought a Yorkshire Terrifer for my grandmother years ago and we named her Cricket because she liked jumping all over the place. Your kitten is cuter though.

I liked Anath's name...

Comment by Infomesh (not verified) Tue, 08/23/2011 - 15:51

I liked Anath's name...

Lovely name

Comment by ChristineA (not verified) Tue, 08/23/2011 - 15:51

For a lovely kittie!! Cricket is a great name. :D And yes, I'd love to hear what the "chirrup" sounds like. Also love the sketches of you as a '50's fighter pilot. The cat-eye glasses remind me of my mom though. lol!!

Perfect!

Comment by Lyndse (not verified) Tue, 08/23/2011 - 15:55

I still like "Surprise", but Cricket is perfect... her cute little chirps and her GIANT EYES like a bug! Aww...

How could you resist the

Comment by pootyparper (not verified) Tue, 08/23/2011 - 16:03

How could you resist the clearly genius name Detective Goku Mustang???

My cat is just like your cat!

Comment by sillymelonhead (not verified) Tue, 08/23/2011 - 16:06

Well, she's older. And she's got a different color pattern. And she's absurdly fat. But besides all that, she chirps a lot too!

I hope you guys do a little character card thing for Cricket, like you did in the beginning comics and for Rook. She is part of the gang now after all.

Good choice, although I was

Comment by Hablabajabla (not verified) Tue, 08/23/2011 - 16:38

Good choice, although I was thinking "Hoover", coming from a laundromat and all. I was also wondering what happened to Conrad... But Lela makes it all better.

Chirrup

Comment by Jessica (not verified) Tue, 08/23/2011 - 17:09

Can we pleeeease see a video of Cricket making this noise? =D

Chirrup

Comment by Jessica (not verified) Tue, 08/23/2011 - 17:09

Can we pleeeease see a video of Cricket making this noise? =D

I was kinda partial to

Comment by Organs (not verified) Tue, 08/23/2011 - 17:15

I was kinda partial to Magpie, actually. But Cricket is a nice name, too :-)

Is that...

Comment by Kilimbo (not verified) Tue, 08/23/2011 - 17:20

Is... Is that... John... Is that a beard there?

Looks like a Action

Comment by Cov (not verified) Tue, 08/23/2011 - 17:28

Looks like a Action character version of Yuko. would love to see her kick some ass in a comic.

AHA! My votes were for

Comment by Noni (not verified) Tue, 08/23/2011 - 17:30

AHA! My votes were for Cricket or Space Race too. :3 Cricket is such a cute name.

We ended up going for nerdy names for our cats. Zoey's name is from L4D, and Tali is from Mass Effect. XD

My cat makes the same sound and here's a picture :D

Comment by whatahootowl (not verified) Tue, 08/23/2011 - 17:44

http://imgur.com/ejngg that's my cat, Boo. She's not as fat anymore. She makes that same sound I'm pretty sure!

Definitely should have been

Comment by Jukebox (not verified) Tue, 08/23/2011 - 17:44

Definitely should have been Detective Goku Mustang.

Detective Goku Mustang is

Comment by Aube (not verified) Tue, 08/23/2011 - 18:37

Detective Goku Mustang is definitely my favorite, but Cricket is kinda cute...I guess.

Hey, she doesn't have her

Comment by jonneitosumisu (not verified) Tue, 08/23/2011 - 18:46

Hey, she doesn't have her introduction panel like the rest of the JW characters? And i love to hear that "chirrup", my cat just meows all the time.

Awesome~!

Comment by Anii (not verified) Tue, 08/23/2011 - 19:53

Atomic Robo is the shizz~! So rawk on~~!!

omg

Comment by tabby (not verified) Tue, 08/23/2011 - 19:59

cricket is adorable XD i love the name goku too XD

john?

Comment by tabby (not verified) Tue, 08/23/2011 - 20:01

did john get new everything? his glasses..... n he doesn't where a t shirt n he has a BEARD! its so cool :D

Ahhh! Cricket! <3 Cutest.

Comment by Katherine (not verified) Tue, 08/23/2011 - 20:16

Ahhh! Cricket! <3 Cutest. Name. Ever. And so appropriate! Eee!

Eeeeeeee!!

Comment by mwick (not verified) Tue, 08/23/2011 - 20:18

I was pulling for Magpie, but I love Cricket! Whiskey is a close runner-up, though.

Those sketches are gorgeous! You look like a badass plane mechanic.

Names, Names, so many Names

Comment by KicktheCAN (not verified) Tue, 08/23/2011 - 20:25

Evan is the king of naming things. Pizza Hut pokemon and Space Race cats? OH to see the world through Evan's eyes! Does he offer naming classes?

Peculiar name for a cat, yet

Comment by Cassandra (not verified) Tue, 08/23/2011 - 20:59

Peculiar name for a cat, yet somehow appropriate, you should post a video of her, i mean, does she really meow like that?

Called it!

Comment by fraoch (not verified) Tue, 08/23/2011 - 21:09

Though Detective Goku Mustang would be my second choice

I adore that you have a cat

Comment by ~L.K. (not verified) Tue, 08/23/2011 - 21:50

I adore that you have a cat that makes strange noises. Ours, Cheerio Kitten, chortles in a strange hooting, chortling sound. I'm curious if Cricket will ever make similar sounds. I definitely agree with Cricket as the name. I hope in some ways that Cricket, like my Cheerio, will never learn to meow properly. It's too adorable when they make such strange little noises instead.

Cricket needs a full out

Comment by Suri (not verified) Tue, 08/23/2011 - 22:20

Cricket needs a full out name like
Detective Cricket Space Race Goku Mustang.
Or like Detective Cricket the Space-Racing-Chirruping Goku Legend
Just for the shits and giggles when people ask for the full name. <3
Also, I want to hear the chirrup

Chirp = trill?

Comment by Wheat (not verified) Wed, 08/24/2011 - 00:19

I'm guessing Cricket's chirping is kinda a 'trilling' sound similar to what one of our cats makes.

This isn't said cat, but is a similar noise.

Comment by Aido Wed, 08/24/2011 - 08:54

Yes, that's about the one!  I've been looking for videos of that but I guess I was looking up the wrong word.  Rook does that "hello"sound too, but Cricket does it all the dang time and in weird non-greeting situations.  I've been trying to get a video of it, but it's really hard to do!  She just won't stay still!

Hahaha awesome. We have a

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Thu, 08/25/2011 - 00:27

Hahaha awesome. We have a hyper cat here at our house who makes the sound any time you startle it, and our family cat at my parent's house would make it any time you tried to pet her.

Trilling is so much better than the usual screeching meow cats make.

Long ago I had a cat named

Comment by the DECk (not verified) Wed, 08/24/2011 - 00:43

Long ago I had a cat named Cricket, she purr-meowed a lot, she was multi-colored & a little crazy, she had one litter of 3 kittens; Nipper (gray stripes w/ white patches), Domino, (Black with white patches), Patches (a calico).

The best cat I ever owned was Mittens, (similar in color as Nipper, but darker). She was as loyal as any dog; she always came when you called her, greeted you when you came home, always responded with a meow when spoken to. I miss all my past cats, but she was the queen.

Chatot is mad.

Comment by Anonymous99999999 (not verified) Wed, 08/24/2011 - 00:47

cute comic. definitely bummed about the loss of detective goku mustang.

lol @ audrey hepburn haircut.

Cute names

Comment by Maileigh (not verified) Wed, 08/24/2011 - 01:28

I also agree that I'd need to hear how she sounds. But she definitely "looks" like a Cricket. ^^

As for names; I love naming things/pets/OCs etc...

My cat is a Tortoise shell Calico. I named her Abalone. (Abby for short)

Then the multitudes of Betta I've had throughout the years: Rose Tyler, Martha Jones, Jack Harkness, Leon Scott Kennedy, Ada Wong, and Claire Redfield.

... yeah.

Ehe...

Comment by Maileigh again (not verified) Wed, 08/24/2011 - 01:31

And then there was my first bestest cat: William K. Globenbeener VanTuesday.

... I named him when I was 5.

Pet Names

Comment by iloicsaM (not verified) Wed, 08/24/2011 - 07:39

I had lizards named 'Brad Majors Asshole' and 'Janet Weiss Slut'. I had Beta fish called Dr. Scott, Columbia, and Eddie. My mom's dogs are 'Riff Raff Frankenfurter' and Magenta. :-D

My Rottweiler is called Loki (and he certainly lives up to that name). There's an Akita rescue in my town. I want one so badly and I want to name her 'Baroness VonHudenschnuder' so I can call them Lok and Ness. ;-)

Naming is fun.

I have to ask... was this a

Comment by tahrey (not verified) Wed, 08/24/2011 - 08:56

I have to ask... was this a case of a cat being named by the internet? I could swear Cricket came up in the comments before. Things will then have come pretty much full circle in the cat-internet continuum.

You could go on a tangent and give her the middle name Ramprakash or something (to pull a random cricket player's name out of the air - I have no bias).

Crazy Weird

Comment by Susurrus (not verified) Wed, 08/24/2011 - 09:30

It's crazy weird that you considered "Whiskey" as a name for the new kitten. I've had a cat named Whiskey since college, he's a huge Maine coon/Siamese mix. The weird part is that ever since I started reading Johnny Wander, I was surprised how much Rook looks/acts like my other cat, Deacon. Same colors, same personality. Cue Twilight Zone Theme... (Your art is wonderful, btw, big fan.)

Rook's name

Comment by Random Lurker (not verified) Wed, 08/24/2011 - 09:48

Rook was named after a bird?

Colour me disappointed. This entire time I figured it was after the chess piece. Would have made names for Cricket that much easier too: Knight, Bishop, Pawn, Queen or King.

But Cricket's awesome, so it's all good.

(By the way, just to clarify, I think Rook is an awesome name too... I'm just going to pretend that it's after the chess piece, though.)

Well,

Comment by Aido Wed, 08/24/2011 - 10:26

It's both, technically.  But the bird more than the chess piece.

cricket.

Comment by Sylver (not verified) Wed, 08/24/2011 - 10:40

There's an amazing phenomenon about crickets that I love to show people just to spread it around, and this seems to be an appropriate moment to do just that.
Basically, check out this video. And bear with the confusion for a few seconds because it kind of blows your mind.

Whiskey!

Comment by Robert V Aldrich (not verified) Wed, 08/24/2011 - 10:43

Attaboy, Ananth! Attaboy!

ROBOOOOO <3

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Wed, 08/24/2011 - 12:32

EEEE! Atomic Robo!!! :D
I have three of the TPB but my brother has all the original additions and in those thin, delicate, comic books I fell in love with Doctor Atomic Robo Tesla X)

yay! super cute!