Cats & Robots

Cats & Robots

Tue, 08/23/2011 - 15:30 by Ananth in response to naming the kitten

Cricket is the most appropriate name, but I think Space Race is still my favorite. Detective Goku Mustang is a close second. In order of appearance: Yuko, Lela, me, Evan, KC Green, Rich, L and Yuko.

I don't make plugs on this site often these days (so busy!), but I wanted to mention a comic called Atomic Robo. It's not a webcomic, but there are some free comics up on the web, so take a look! Also worth a look is their list of simple rules for things they'll never do in Robo, a list that often informs my own approach. There are 5 trade paperbacks currently out, all of which I own and I've read and reread. Each story is self-contained and fun, so you can jump on at any time. And it's all ages! Which always surprises me - a comic this smart being accessible to kids.

I find that webcomics readers don't necessarily identify as comics readers, but believe me when I say that the spirit of webcomics is alive and well in Atomic Robo - as it should be, considering that Brian Clevinger is webcomics alumni. Give it a look!

Anyway, bottom line: we're Atomic Robo fans. So when Brian and Scott Wegener (Team Robo's artist) asked Yuko to do some pages, she was understandably thrilled! After she submitted those, Brian and Scott asked her to ... well, let me just quote Yuko's Tumblr,

For an upcoming issue, Brian and Scott requested that I (and a few of their other female artist friends) design 50’s fighter pilot versions of ourselves.  This is stupidly exciting and I’m stupidly excited.  Omigosh omigosh omigosh I’m gunna be in Atomic Robo

Pretty cool!

On that note, we're out! Catch you Thursday!

Comments

Pre-named Cat.

Comment by will (not verified) Wed, 08/24/2011 - 16:56

Well, my future cat has a name... DETECTIVE GOKU MUSTANG. Now to go and find him.

Kitty!

Comment by Amy (not verified) Wed, 08/24/2011 - 17:41

This is so sweet! Aw guys, heheheh. My mum got a couple of turkeys recently and she told my one of them chirups, and I immediately told her about your Cricket! X3

Unfortunately one of our cats, Thunder/Gorgeous was hit by a car a few days ago ;-; So our remaining cat, or rather kitten, is going to be an indoor cat. Her name is Annie <3

Looking forward to seeing the next comic, as always <3

I wonder who name their cat

Comment by Gab (not verified) Wed, 08/24/2011 - 23:14

I wonder who name their cat Space Race...
But still... Space Race is an awesome name !

A Thunderchief or a Voodoo?

Comment by Alain (not verified) Wed, 08/24/2011 - 23:57

I wonder if action pilot Yuko will be flying a Thunderchief:

Or a Voodoo:

It's fitting that she should be flying one of these since she is so little and since they were the biggest USAF fighter jets of the fifties.

Free Atomic Robo would be

Comment by Zehnoda (not verified) Thu, 08/25/2011 - 00:37

Free Atomic Robo would be more appealing if I didn't already own all of them. They are signed too!

I'll always remember the day I met them. I spent far, far too much money.

So when the kitten's being loud you can call it a...

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Thu, 08/25/2011 - 02:10

*Puts on Sunglasses*

...Noisy Cricket.

YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHH- *Neuralizer'd!*

Totally the best cat name.

Comment by CampBowie (not verified) Thu, 08/25/2011 - 08:44

Not that I'm BIASED or anything. My Cricket was named after the lucky cricket in Mulan, having been rescued from the middle of a busy highway. /catstories

awwwwww yeaaaaaah

Comment by Al Paradise (not verified) Thu, 08/25/2011 - 09:02

Cat comics is best comics.

Is it strange that I

Comment by ughjeez (not verified) Thu, 08/25/2011 - 09:19

Is it strange that I recognized KC and Rich before even reading the commentary on the strip?

...I read too many comics.

We almost named our cat

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Thu, 08/25/2011 - 11:05

We almost named our cat Cricket! (We adopted her from the ASPCA (gosh) two years ago now.) But we ended up naming her Kaylee instead.

Sorry it took so long...

Comment by Sabrina Ali (not verified) Thu, 08/25/2011 - 15:34

I have the recording of my cat chirpping. Does this sound anything like it?

I used to have a cat named

Comment by Randi (not verified) Thu, 08/25/2011 - 21:33

I used to have a cat named Cricket.
Her name was Cinderella (Cinders) and then she started making cricket noises at bugs.
Cricket she was dubbed.

Oh dear, really?

Comment by J (not verified) Thu, 08/25/2011 - 21:50

You too? I was not expecting you to name her that! Same as my brat-cat Cricket. He's white with brown eyes and orange eyebrows though, so it's not like they look the same. ^^ I am assuming you named her after the noise she makes? Cricket did the same thing when I got him. Then after he had the name for a bit he started squeaking instead. >>

Ah. Friends just arrived. They remember the Laundri-Cat comic and now they are laughing about the name, too. ^^

like this LOLz XD

Comment by kaikudo (not verified) Sat, 08/27/2011 - 19:54

XD you have much a cute cat D: i miss having a pet myself :(

I want the comic to be about

Comment by scuffy (not verified) Tue, 08/30/2011 - 15:04

I want the comic to be about Rook and Cricket from now on.

Well, Heinlein's kittens say "blert."

Comment by minetruly (not verified) Wed, 08/31/2011 - 15:57

Can you post a video of Cricket making that sound?

I have a cat named Magpie :)

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Wed, 08/31/2011 - 22:28

I have a cat named Magpie :)

Cricket T

Comment by Mariah (not verified) Tue, 09/06/2011 - 14:09

This is an official request for a Cricket T-Shirt!!

whiskey

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Thu, 09/29/2011 - 19:08

That used to be my cats name :)
But she passed away at the age of around 21 a month or 2 ago