What

What

Thu, 08/25/2011 - 16:10 by Ananth in response to taking it off

I started telling this story to Yuko and she finished it. Her version was way cooler. Some is fact, some is fiction, and I'll let you work out what's what.

There's a hurricane watch here in New York! A tornado hit my campus when I was back in DC, and it was pretty crazy - cars flipped, trees crushed trucks, and a tornado landed on the roof of a dormitory. The ceiling caved a bit, and some windows blew out. Hurricanes are only a little crazier than tornadoes, right? Ha ... hahahaha ... ha ... hmm. I've been thinking of going down to Coney Island with a surfboard and a parachute, this is a good idea. Gonna go do that, see you next week!

Comments

They were literally asking

Comment by AXCervantes (not verified) Thu, 08/25/2011 - 16:14

They were literally asking for it.

...

Comment by tabby (not verified) Sat, 08/27/2011 - 10:30

indeed....

Uhhh

Comment by Kyle (not verified) Thu, 08/25/2011 - 16:15

I...I don't think they meant your hat.

That last panel would make a

Comment by AryCapricat (not verified) Thu, 08/25/2011 - 16:16

That last panel would make a bitch'n desktop background

Yes, yes it would.

Comment by Aube (not verified) Thu, 08/25/2011 - 20:11

Yes, yes it would.

JW-Men

Comment by Brendan (not verified) Thu, 08/25/2011 - 16:16

Well now I won't be able to not see Ananth as Cyclops

(does that make Yuko Phoenix?)

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Sat, 08/27/2011 - 01:43

That makes Yuko Wolverine. End of discussion.

Obviously.

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Thu, 08/25/2011 - 16:28

The fiction here is obviously that Ananth doesn't HAVE to take off his hat to use his eye lasers.

I would anyway!

Comment by Raiser (not verified) Thu, 08/25/2011 - 19:26

I mean, think of the damage he'd do to the poor hat!

Headwear is peoples too!

IT'S THE RETURN OF ANHATH!

Comment by OrcishIncubus (not verified) Thu, 08/25/2011 - 16:37

IT'S THE RETURN OF ANHATH!

I'm going to have to agree

Comment by Pickles (not verified) Thu, 08/25/2011 - 16:38

I'm going to have to agree with AryCapricat here. That last panel would make an amazing background or poster image.

laser cats

Comment by OhThatChristina (not verified) Thu, 08/25/2011 - 16:44

Windsurfing in a hurricane?! I'm there!
@JW-Men - Yuko as Phoenix?! :D

My new favorite comic. We

Comment by Viga (not verified) Thu, 08/25/2011 - 16:46

My new favorite comic. We need more eye lasers.

Oh yeah I know that campus,

Comment by andromatta (not verified) Thu, 08/25/2011 - 17:14

Oh yeah I know that campus, in fact I'm there right now for the last year. I remember hearing about that tornado, was some scary stuff. Heavy rain at UMD usually means insane floods, so it's gonna be windsurfing for me haha.

Don't you think they meant

Comment by Wood (not verified) Thu, 08/25/2011 - 17:20

Don't you think they meant your shirt ?

I think....

Comment by AckAckAck (not verified) Fri, 08/26/2011 - 01:05

they want him to open his pants, to check the goods ;)

Hehe, it's funny when people

Comment by Pas (not verified) Thu, 08/25/2011 - 17:34

Hehe, it's funny when people in the north are confused when hurricanes come. They are all too common here in Texas

They're pretty common along

Comment by Joe (not verified) Thu, 08/25/2011 - 18:47

They're pretty common along the east coast, too. The difference is that they fizzle out once they leave the tropic zone.
Irene's probably not gonna be that bad, people are just taking precautions.

It's almost as hilarious

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Thu, 08/25/2011 - 20:28

It's almost as hilarious when people in Texas start freaking out when snow comes.

:D

Comment by tabby (not verified) Sat, 08/27/2011 - 10:37

i was gonna say that! lols XD

I agree with Pas and the

Comment by HopelessOsaka (not verified) Thu, 08/25/2011 - 20:42

I agree with Pas and the anon; both are equal-parts amusing and sad to behold.

--Though it's not so much

Comment by HopelessOsaka (not verified) Thu, 08/25/2011 - 20:47

--Though it's not so much Texas as the lower half of Texas (Houston-ish area and below, I think) that freaks out over snow; the more northern area of Texas often winds up with a good deal of snow.

Agreed

Comment by Neesee (not verified) Thu, 08/25/2011 - 20:51

I live in south Texas (right on the border south).

"ohmygoditissnowingforchristmas!!!!" That was my area in 2005.

Ah! The same, the same!!

Comment by Ducky (not verified) Fri, 08/26/2011 - 08:07

Ah! The same, the same!!

I've been in both

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Fri, 08/26/2011 - 12:33

I've been in both circumstances: Hurricane Isabel in Toronto and a random snow shower in North Houston/Conroe. So now I'm allowed to laugh at both sets of people, it's awesome.

haha

Comment by sally (not verified) Sat, 08/27/2011 - 10:43

people could die, ACTUAL people, its not like a video game. I have family in the area where the hurricane will be, and i am worried about themand the people of ny, i don't rlly find it that funny that people are ignorant and talk like nothing is happening.

also i feel for the people in texas that get hit with tornados and such too.

...because yes, everything

Comment by Fenrisson (not verified) Sun, 08/28/2011 - 13:26

...because yes, everything said so far totally implies these people are treating it like a video game. Of course.

I see a lot of people who deal with hurricanes semi-regularly being amused by the level to which the East Coast is freaking out over Irene. Case in point: I've been going to school in Louisiana, and the locals don't even raise an eyebrow until an incoming storm hits category 3. School wasn't even cancelled when a category 1 rolled through several years back.

...

Comment by sally (not verified) Sun, 08/28/2011 - 19:30

exactly people of the east coast don't really know what to do in this chaos, so its kinda dangerous to us and we aren't well used to the storms that other states go through causing mass confusion and so people do idiotic things and people may die or get hurt....

well..

Comment by sally (not verified) Sun, 08/28/2011 - 19:33

it was a rhetorical comment, and i meant that people act as if nothing is happening and being ignorant

Yes we don't freak too bad

Comment by Frank (not verified) Mon, 08/29/2011 - 02:56

Yes we don't freak too bad over cat 1 hurricanes, but give us one snowflake and we shut the whole state down :)

Tornados attack

Comment by Nate the Brit (not verified) Thu, 08/25/2011 - 17:47

I constantly have a dream where twenty malicious tornados attack London when I'm on a bus coming home, and it has to do some extreme dodges, or hide where the tornados can't see me.
Dreams are so much more fun than real life.

Wait.

Comment by Trog (not verified) Fri, 08/26/2011 - 12:28

You don't do that in real life?

I was disappointed.

Comment by Califer (not verified) Thu, 08/25/2011 - 17:48

I was excited to see the tag for eye-lasers, then disappointed to see that no other comics had that tag.

Really?

Comment by Very Lost (not verified) Thu, 08/25/2011 - 20:29

oops

Comment by Aido Thu, 08/25/2011 - 22:21

There, I've fixed it!

Hurricane v. Tornado

Comment by Jedifreak (not verified) Thu, 08/25/2011 - 17:56

Oklahoma resident here. Hurricanes are much, much worse than Tornadoes.

I agree. Hurricanes may only

Comment by Chris D. (not verified) Thu, 08/25/2011 - 22:35

I agree. Hurricanes may only be half the windspeed of a tornado (150 vs 300) but they last far far longer (hours as opposed to a couple of minutes) and worse yet, powerful hurricanes can spawn tornadoes. Plus if you live on the coast, storm surges destroy all your stuff. So, I'm all for hiding from a short tornado rather than riding out a hurricane.

what?

Comment by Jasmine P (not verified) Thu, 08/25/2011 - 17:58

When did a tornado hit DC? I can't recall hearing that and I lived in Fairfax Co until 2007. I'm down in Norfolk, my campus did a forced evacuation of the dorms today and is closed until Tuesday. Classes were supposed to start on Saturday.

Man, life must be difficult when you have laser eyes. Are you anything like Cyclops, I mean, do you use your powers for good? I mean, you use your writing powers for awesome, so what about the laser eyes?

I agree.

Comment by Origamigryphon (not verified) Thu, 08/25/2011 - 18:09

I would love a poster/background of the last panel.

Conventions?

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Thu, 08/25/2011 - 18:41

Hey me and my brother were wondering if you guys would be attending any conventions in Ohio any time soon...?

I'm kinda mad that my school

Comment by Joe (not verified) Thu, 08/25/2011 - 18:50

I'm kinda mad that my school delayed move-in for the hurricane.
Unsafe driving conditions, property damage and evacuees be damned, I want to go to school.

Windsurfing in a hurricane

Comment by Shauna (not verified) Thu, 08/25/2011 - 19:13

Windsurfing in a hurricane is definitely a good idea.
Then again I'm a Canadian who's never seen a hurricane.

Violent seas and winds of

Comment by Chris D. (not verified) Thu, 08/25/2011 - 22:36

Violent seas and winds of 100+

Really just a good way to drown. Watch Point Break as a reference. :-) (The end of it, really)

Windsurfing

Comment by Frank (not verified) Mon, 08/29/2011 - 02:59

I have been through many hurricanes and as bad as they are , I am still tempted to try and kite-surf during one, it would be awesome. most likely fatal, but the video would be legendary.

You decide which half

Comment by KicktheCAN (not verified) Thu, 08/25/2011 - 19:42

We get to decide reality by popular vote? Great!

O_O

Comment by Cheshire (not verified) Thu, 08/25/2011 - 20:17

I got the hiccups from laughing too hard at this. Take responsibility for your shenanigans!

Hurricane party perhaps?

Comment by Tsarstepan (not verified) Thu, 08/25/2011 - 20:52

I don't suppose you'll be throwing a hurricane party in Brooklyn perhaps Ananth, non?

Can't hurt to ask can't it?

I thought

Comment by Jingseng (not verified) Thu, 08/25/2011 - 21:00

I thought that perhaps Conrad had written this comic... =)

Dont worry about it

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Thu, 08/25/2011 - 21:13

Don't stress about the hurricane, Im from Miami, currently living in Orlando, and when I was in 10th grade we got hit by 5 hurricanes back to back and we're all fine ha, just lost some power for a while but that just means its time for BBQs and to look at the stars! and take cold showers by candle light =[

the beeeeeeeeest