What

What

Thu, 08/25/2011 - 16:10 by Ananth in response to taking it off

I started telling this story to Yuko and she finished it. Her version was way cooler. Some is fact, some is fiction, and I'll let you work out what's what.

There's a hurricane watch here in New York! A tornado hit my campus when I was back in DC, and it was pretty crazy - cars flipped, trees crushed trucks, and a tornado landed on the roof of a dormitory. The ceiling caved a bit, and some windows blew out. Hurricanes are only a little crazier than tornadoes, right? Ha ... hahahaha ... ha ... hmm. I've been thinking of going down to Coney Island with a surfboard and a parachute, this is a good idea. Gonna go do that, see you next week!

Comments

Being from the gulf coast, I

Comment by Aaron Diaz (not verified) Thu, 08/25/2011 - 22:01

Being from the gulf coast, I am a Hurricane Expert™, and my advice is to buy as many kites as you can and tie them to your cats.

It's official.

Comment by ZoomMandyZoom (not verified) Thu, 08/25/2011 - 22:02

You guys have a lot of comics I really love, but this one takes the cake. I had to contain my hysterics. This is my new favourite. (Bonus, being on my birthday)

Part of me wishes I could

Comment by asiaoddhours (not verified) Thu, 08/25/2011 - 22:10

Part of me wishes I could have eye lasers any time shenanigans occur at work. But I think by now I probably would have very few co-workers left due to said eye lasers.

Hurricans are not that bad! At least from what I can tell with Irene I think you sound like you shall get a lot of wind and probably a lot of rain. I would say try to imagine a thunderstorm on 'roids, and having a bit of rage. I'd also say plan for the power to be out. I envy the rain part so so much. ): Tell you what, I will make you a bargain, you can have all the snow forever and ever if I can have your rain. I feel this is a sound bargain.

I KNOW WHAT IS FAKE

Comment by Lightlybow (not verified) Thu, 08/25/2011 - 22:23

THE TAXI HAD A STRIPE ON THE SIDE NOT A CHECKERBOARD PATTERN

Ananth, clarify something for me, would you?

Comment by Android 21 3/7 (not verified) Thu, 08/25/2011 - 22:29

Were they Johnny Wander fans who just wanted to see your whole face or were they asking you to take your shirt off?

Shirt! Presumably.

Comment by Ananth Tue, 08/30/2011 - 15:21

Shirt! Presumably.

The hurricane is pretty

Comment by Oma (not verified) Thu, 08/25/2011 - 22:47

The hurricane is pretty nuts, I hope nobody gets hurt. However, I will not get to witness it ): I'm driving back up to Syracuse sat morning, effectively hurricane dodging!

You are...

Comment by Scarfman (not verified) Thu, 08/25/2011 - 23:12

Just asking for trouble!

Ananth, soon to be greeted

Comment by Jim (not verified) Thu, 08/25/2011 - 23:32

Ananth, soon to be greeted by professor X and Magneto.

Yeah interesting east coast weather we've been having eh? A few tornadoes rip though Massachusetts and a few other states, an earthquake in Virginia (Which has made everyone not in Virginia freak out), and now we're getting hit with a hurricane. The hurricane isn't unusual but what is unusual is that it's riding up the east coast over land.

hurricanes

Comment by Bran (not verified) Thu, 08/25/2011 - 23:38

Please be careful, hurricanes are nasty business. They are nothing like tornadoes. The last big one for me was Ike (I'm from Texas), and it was awful. Stock up and listen if they tell you to get to high ground. :\ Be safe!

Timing

Comment by AmbrosiaWriter (not verified) Fri, 08/26/2011 - 01:20

Speaking of hurricanes, I just got back to Brooklyn for beginning of semester. Perfect timing huh? I get to watch from the 12th floor of my dorm~!

The Truth

Comment by DemLep (not verified) Fri, 08/26/2011 - 03:33

It was to men in the taxi!
Or at least females that look like men.

AYE-Beams

Comment by Now-an-Atomic-Robo-fan (not verified) Fri, 08/26/2011 - 07:31

Miss Ota,

the way you draw lightning beams is actually incredible, i really like it. Of Course, you'll be needing those 'madskillz' for impressing the Atomic Robo guys (Phew phew etc.)

Keep it up guys, I'm slowly converting peeps over here in the UK.

Hurricanes

Comment by Ducky (not verified) Fri, 08/26/2011 - 08:04

I live in the Gulf Coast and we get hurricanes EVERY YEAR. They typically aren't so bad as long as you board up your windows and make sure none of your things are outside and you don't go outside during them (duh). A lot of rain, a lot of wind. The damage after is normally to trees, power lines (you may lose power), windows, and fences. 1-2 Catagories are like really bad t-storms, anything higher (and if you're in it's direct path) you'll want to take a trip out of town. If you're on it's 'good side' you'll just get rain. Stock up on 'hurricane supplies'. Tornadoes can sometimes be worse mostly because they occur quickly and hurricanes can be tracked. Tornadoes might also occur before or after. It's actually kind of humorous watching all the northerners (Including a friend of mine) freak out because of it. (Especially on the morning news.)We're too used to it here. Also open your window a crack so your rooms don't start 'breathing'.

Good advice. I've been

Comment by Aaron Diaz (not verified) Fri, 08/26/2011 - 15:39

Good advice. I've been through 22 years of gulf coats hurricanes and a storm like Irene's only a problem if you're right on the shore or live in a basement near the shore.

Where we (Williamsburg & Crown Heights) are situated, it'll mostly be a lot of noise from the wind and maybe a little flooding in lower intersections. You have to be really, really crazy or reckless to die in a Category 1. To provide perspective, the last hurricane to hit NY was pretty nasty, in 1985, and it was a Category 2-3. One person died because a tree fell on them.

snaps

Comment by Al Paradise (not verified) Mon, 08/29/2011 - 11:09

Aaron Diaz rules!

So THAT'S why he always

Comment by Jessica (not verified) Fri, 08/26/2011 - 09:36

So THAT'S why he always wears the hat...I knew it >.>...

And then he fought crime.

Comment by Snazzy (not verified) Fri, 08/26/2011 - 09:41

And then he fought crime.

awwwwww yeaaaaaah

Comment by Al Paradise (not verified) Fri, 08/26/2011 - 09:49

Ananth rules!

Those girls are dead.

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Fri, 08/26/2011 - 09:56

Those girls are dead.

Kite Surfing...

Comment by ghiouh (not verified) Fri, 08/26/2011 - 13:11

Before you head out with that parachute, you may want to take a look at the last person to try this...

2004 hurricane fun in Florida!!!

Comment by Aric (not verified) Fri, 08/26/2011 - 14:26

Back in 04 when the hurricanes hit down here in Winter Park my friends and i found ways to make the most of our crazy Hurricane weather. Here is a short list...
Hurricane frisbee (a little scary on the downwind side)
Hurricane street windsurfing (requires rollerblades and a bed sheet tied off to ur arms and legs)
Hurricane football (wind can help you throw farther)
Feild boarding (you need a boogie board and a hurricane drenched grass feild that = a giant slip n'slide)

**Saftey note beware of powerlines!! =0

So I was in College Station

Comment by Worth it (not verified) Fri, 08/26/2011 - 15:36

So I was in College Station when Ike came through in 08. A student org I was part of had originally scheduled an activity day for that day, but it was canceled when it became obvious that Ike would hit us. The afternoon before I flew a kite...and split the fiberglass spine when trying to get it out of the sky. The day Ike came, the worst hit at about 9am (and I slept through it). My friend and I decided that we wouldn't let a little thing like a hurricane ruin our day, so we took Frisbees and played Frisbee with Ike in the rain and the puddles. It was great fun. Ike won. In other words: go for it. XD

Oh, and I think that the

Comment by Worth it (not verified) Fri, 08/26/2011 - 15:39

Oh, and I think that the part that is false is that there ever were girls yelling "take it off."

jk!

Hurricanes

Comment by Kate (not verified) Fri, 08/26/2011 - 18:19

I'm from Florida and you are dumb.

2012 is coming

Comment by The other ghost girl (not verified) Fri, 08/26/2011 - 23:30

>-< Know the signs........... Maybe

Ohmygoodness

Comment by Sammich Mendel (not verified) Sat, 08/27/2011 - 01:43

Yeah, the hurricane watch in Philly is craazy, too! Everyone's freaking.
And then, don't forget about the Earthquake and all that fun stuff. Did you feel it, too?

BTW, please go to the NYCC this year?

Hurricane

Comment by Black Ice (not verified) Sat, 08/27/2011 - 02:21

Yeah, we've been warned about crazy rain tomorrow (I live near Boston). I'm not looking forward to it, my family and I were caught in a storm in Michigan last week. Not only were we lost, but it got bad enough my mother had to pull over. It was kinda scary.

Good news? I'm staying in the damn house. Bad news, one of the dogs is afraid of storms. Hopefully your cats are better. If not, good luck.

Ditto

Comment by Rakkadimus (not verified) Sat, 08/27/2011 - 08:32

Same thing happens to me when I take my pants of.

My friend is always messing

Comment by Scott (not verified) Sat, 08/27/2011 - 10:00

My friend is always messing with my hat, I should send him this as a warning of what will happen if he steals it again!

I live in Houston, Tx and we

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Sat, 08/27/2011 - 10:40

I live in Houston, Tx and we had a hurricane hit us two years ago? Hurricane Ike, took our power for 5 days and and our house was a wreck when we came back, some lost power for 2 weeks and I knew someone who died from an exploding generator and news showed someone who died from a collapsed building . Please be safe and evacuate!

O.o

Comment by tabby (not verified) Sat, 08/27/2011 - 10:46

rlly? i bet they were teenagers too :l i think they made a big mistake to ask u that! :D

I hope you guys are safe

Comment by Alanna (not verified) Sat, 08/27/2011 - 15:27

I hope you guys are safe through this entire ordeal!!!

Wait... this comic has 5

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Sat, 08/27/2011 - 19:35

Wait... this comic has 5 panels, how is only 50% true/false?

really...

Comment by Wyndham (not verified) Sat, 08/27/2011 - 20:39

Truth be told, I always thought of Ananth as cyclops. I'm weird.

So ananth is the real

Comment by Ranier (not verified) Sat, 08/27/2011 - 22:14

So ananth is the real cyclops...

Oh Ananth, you lady killer!

Comment by narwal (not verified) Sun, 08/28/2011 - 02:43

Oh Ananth, you lady killer! (literally)

Yuko must have been responsible...

Comment by Tsarstepan (not verified) Sun, 08/28/2011 - 08:33

to turn Hurricane Irene to a tropical storm... with her own super powers. Good job Yuko!

Optic Blast.

Comment by Devi (not verified) Sun, 08/28/2011 - 23:33

Optic Blast.

So how was your hurricane?

Comment by Jim (not verified) Mon, 08/29/2011 - 03:54

So how was your hurricane? (That sounded silly) We just got our power back after 18 hours. I can't go that long without power, also everything in our fridge melted and a few homes flooded.

My sister was supposed to

Comment by Julia (not verified) Mon, 08/29/2011 - 13:07

My sister was supposed to move to Brooklyn yesterday, but the hurricane made tha impossible to happen.

This Explains Comic 160

Comment by Gale (not verified) Mon, 08/29/2011 - 13:09

Turns out that John was just jealous of Annath's super powers XD

Lol

Comment by Julia (not verified) Mon, 08/29/2011 - 13:11

My sister was supposed to move to Brooklyn the day of the Hurricane. Lol. It wasn't possible.

Hurricane windsurfing

Comment by LK (not verified) Mon, 08/29/2011 - 16:56

Windsurfing in a hurricane....
sounds similar to how Dorothy ended up in the land of Oz, have fun and remember "there's no place like home?"

Pity you can't hear, because

Comment by Arkadi (not verified) Mon, 08/29/2011 - 17:33

Pity you can't hear, because I'm clapping my hands at this. REAL hard XDXDXD Go Ananth!

Quite obviously, the fiction here is ...

Comment by Dusk (not verified) Mon, 08/29/2011 - 23:18

Ananth taking his hat off. That just doesn't happen, ever. He blows up cars with the force of his awesomeness all the time, but never will he ever remove his cap.

Wheel

Comment by 17 Dollars (not verified) Tue, 08/30/2011 - 14:15

That wheel bouncing out of the explosion...

Haha! Another Terry Pratchett fan!

Have you ever considered

Comment by Jake Parler (not verified) Fri, 11/09/2012 - 12:52

Have you ever considered creating an ebook or guest authoring on other websites? I have a blog based upon on the same ideas you discuss and would really like to have you share some stories/information. I know my audience would value your work. If you are even remotely interested, feel free to shoot me an e mail. Jake Parler