Lela!

Lela!

Thu, 09/01/2011 - 16:01 by Ananth in response to watch your language

Kids are wacky! And Lela works with them at the daycare, so we always get stories at the end of the day. Lela's been in a quite a few of the past comics, so we figured it was about time to do one of these with her (Cricket will get one too, eventually, for those who asked). Lela is our most recent roommate and also, among many things, a book maker! And her books are really nice, with nice thick paper and heavy board or leather covers and handdone bindings. She'll be selling them at her table with Evan at SPX, so check 'em out.

Speaking of SPX, we'll give you guys the table details next week! As far as what we'll be bringing, think books, t-shirts, catmera charms, and prints, lots of prints. If there's a print you'd like from us and you know you'll be at SPX, send me an e-mail and I'll see if I can't make an exception for you.

That's all from us! See you next week!

Comments

i gotta start using that

Comment by NoahHall (not verified) Thu, 09/01/2011 - 16:09

i gotta start using that insult from now on...

...

Comment by Nes (not verified) Thu, 09/01/2011 - 16:25

That child is on his way to his own Johnisms....

I must use this insult, it

Comment by Geirskogul (not verified) Thu, 09/01/2011 - 16:31

I must use this insult, it is amazing. Where is this kid? NBC needs to hire him as a writer.

Character page

Comment by Matt (not verified) Thu, 09/01/2011 - 17:02

I love the character intro pages. Are you going to update the cast page with them anytime soon?

I was wondering about that

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Fri, 09/02/2011 - 10:40

I was wondering about that as well. I noticed that Evan isn't on the cast page either.

I was JUST wondering when

Comment by Var (not verified) Thu, 09/01/2011 - 17:15

I was JUST wondering when we'd get to see her make a debut like this!

Awesome. Don't let that kid get to you, Lela! Some of my best friends have been crazy pizzas. Can't claim to have known many extra-cheezians, but if my experiences with pepperoni/green peppers and ham/pinapples have told me anything, it's that true friends are judged by the heart.

Hang in there, beautiful!

I was wondering about her.

Comment by Nanophreak (not verified) Thu, 09/01/2011 - 17:15

I was wondering about her. From the hair, I thought Conrad might've gotten a very very well done gender change surgery.

Nice to see Lela become a

Comment by Hablabajabla (not verified) Thu, 09/01/2011 - 17:51

Nice to see Lela become a member of the cast, but what happened to Conrad? Did you guys banish him?

Haha, naw! Conrad moved to

Comment by Ananth Thu, 09/01/2011 - 18:47

Haha, naw! Conrad moved to Queens to be closer to work, so we don't see him as often. That's all!

I was wondering when she'd

Comment by Xekstrin (not verified) Thu, 09/01/2011 - 17:54

I was wondering when she'd get a page

Moaarrr

Comment by Dart (not verified) Thu, 09/01/2011 - 18:10

Please draw more children always and forever.

yes please!

Comment by Heidi (not verified) Thu, 09/01/2011 - 19:12

They are so cute! And those eyes!

So, will the cast page ever

Comment by Dirk Hardpeck (not verified) Thu, 09/01/2011 - 18:11

So, will the cast page ever be updated with all these little cards?

Does Lela not have a webpage

Comment by Foe (not verified) Thu, 09/01/2011 - 20:22

Does Lela not have a webpage where she sells these awesome books? :(

We must know!

Comment by Brian (not verified) Sun, 09/04/2011 - 06:32

Yes! Those of us who can't make it to SPX need to know! For science! And also: purchasing.

Please!

Comment by Gothy (not verified) Tue, 09/06/2011 - 05:32

Those of us who live in distant lands and aren't even sure what an SPX is would like to know too! For much the same reasons!

They only get more toppings... of crazy

Comment by Dorje Sylas (not verified) Thu, 09/01/2011 - 20:23

Single or double stuffed crust?

Yay kids are great. And they only get more crazy until they reach their 30s... [depressed] ya [depressed]. Lots of adults treat kids like dumb pets and not like partly developled peoplez. If you sit and listen to a kid long enough you can hear some of the nuttiest things.

They are also evil. I have not meet such a sizable collection of vicious psychopaths since... well since my time as a kid. They also have 0 sarcasm input, which gets hard because from about age 8 or 9 on up they can dish it out.

I work with an age range of 5 to 10. So the ages slightly after Lela does. One of my colleagues came up with this interesting insight into deciding if you could tolerate working with an age range. If you can understand and even like their level of humor, then you can likely work with that age. Lots of body function and knock knock jokes for me. Dare I even mention the acronym TCP/IP... Tea See Pee, I Pee. Or worse UDP/IP.

(If you laughed at that or even smiled, congratulations, you can work with kids age 8 to 10.)

Aw~ The books are really

Comment by Theresa (not verified) Thu, 09/01/2011 - 20:53

Aw~ The books are really cute~!! Too bad I can't go to where that'll be selling :D

Bindings!

Comment by Jake (not verified) Thu, 09/01/2011 - 21:01

Do you think Lela would be willing to do some limited edition bindings of an RPG book?

cute! The little kids at the

Comment by paxoro (not verified) Thu, 09/01/2011 - 22:06

cute! The little kids at the camp I worked for would call people a cheesepuff or a stinky meatball.

EEEEE~! Those books are

Comment by C. Ellis (not verified) Thu, 09/01/2011 - 22:50

EEEEE~! Those books are great. Will Lela be able to sell them via commission, or website, or .....something? ^__^;; I won't be going to SPX, so I won't be able to throw all my monies at her. :)

I want one of those books.

Comment by Olivia (not verified) Thu, 09/01/2011 - 23:37

I want one of those books.

I work at a daycare too, I

Comment by Megan (not verified) Fri, 09/02/2011 - 00:03

I work at a daycare too, I could tell stories for days!

Good Kid Insults:

Comment by Tony (not verified) Fri, 09/02/2011 - 00:25

Two of my favorite kid-insults from my wife's tenure as a preschool teacher:

"You you know what? You're not America On-Line!"

"There's a princess in the tower, and YOU'RE not the princess!"

This is the best comic ever!

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Fri, 09/02/2011 - 00:52

This is the best comic ever! Made my day!

Does she have anywhere

Comment by Heather (not verified) Fri, 09/02/2011 - 01:10

Does she have anywhere online that she sells those amazing looking books? I want one!

My friend Suzie works at a

Comment by LeSwordfish (not verified) Fri, 09/02/2011 - 01:47

My friend Suzie works at a scout group. One of them once said to her "You don't like men, you like women. You're Elizabethan."

Am I The Only One?

Comment by Alice [Lover of John] (not verified) Fri, 09/02/2011 - 03:50

Or maybe crazy, but how does no one else see the distinct resemblance between that adorable kid and Johnadeus? Sans specs, of course.

children say the damnedest things...

Comment by Ben Means (not verified) Fri, 09/02/2011 - 04:49

I was at BestBuy one day(god help me) picking up a mouse because mine broke, and on the way out I overhear a small child say:

"Mom! When I get older will you let me shoot zombies?"

Wow

Comment by Alison (not verified) Fri, 09/02/2011 - 06:42

I hate kids, but that third panel was ADORABLE. Basically I wish all little kids irl looked the way Yuko draws them.

Your comic from one to now

Comment by trajic (not verified) Fri, 09/02/2011 - 07:18

I read them. I dig the whole thing. Looking forward to more. Peace!

O.o

Comment by tabby (not verified) Fri, 09/02/2011 - 07:30

is this john's kid or sumthing? he said something really random and funny like john, and at first i thought u were drawing a comic of him when i saw the first panel....just younger

I demand you bring Lela to

Comment by Abelle (not verified) Fri, 09/02/2011 - 08:12

I demand you bring Lela to TCAF! (and while I'm making demands.. come to TCAF again next year! :P)

Lela's tiny books are too

Comment by Stacey (not verified) Fri, 09/02/2011 - 10:16

Lela's tiny books are too adorable. Do want.

Lela

Comment by Al Paradise (not verified) Fri, 09/02/2011 - 10:36

The most delicious of pizzas.

BOOKS!

Comment by Jamie Noguchi (not verified) Fri, 09/02/2011 - 11:13

*droool*

Seriously, Leila's books! I had no idea. Amazing stuff. Will be setting aside large bills for these next weekend!!!!!

Pro-positive life tool numero two:

Comment by Gunhaver (not verified) Fri, 09/02/2011 - 12:03

Envision your Inappropriators as giant slices of pizza!

"Ah-ha ha ha! You're deep-dish! Ah-ha ha! And you've got extra cheese! Ah-ha ha ha ha! Oh, pepperoni!"

Cheat Commandos

Comment by mostdefinitely (not verified) Sun, 09/04/2011 - 02:56

ROCK, ROCK ON!

Lela & her Books

Comment by Mo Jarock (not verified) Fri, 09/02/2011 - 15:25

Lela is an amazing, wonderful person and her books are great!! Check out her tiny book necklaces. She was teaching me the art of bookbinding before she left us here in Asheville, NC to live in my hometown NYC...We miss her soooooo.

Please remember to add the

Comment by Doob Doob.. (not verified) Fri, 09/02/2011 - 16:12

Please remember to add the character squares to the cast page > w<;

Those Books?

Comment by Kat (not verified) Fri, 09/02/2011 - 17:19

Um... Does Lela have an Esty where she sells her books? I'd love to look at more of them- :<

So Cute!

Comment by Black Ice (not verified) Sat, 09/03/2011 - 03:28

Gosh I love kids

Crazy Pizza

Comment by Mike (not verified) Sat, 09/03/2011 - 13:58

This is exactly the kind of stuff my kids used to say when they were little. Thanks for the laugh. Cheers!

Just went through some of

Comment by Niyameh (not verified) Sat, 09/03/2011 - 22:55

Just went through some of the other pages on the site and I thought maybe that the cast page could use some updating. Also, would the LOL shirts be available again one day (the ones where you did the dinosaurs?) and the Phoenix down shirts?

Heh, first thing I thought

Comment by Nineteen (not verified) Sun, 09/04/2011 - 00:54

Heh, first thing I thought when I saw the kid was, "He looks like Skip (from Boxer Hockey) as a kid."

Johnny Wander book(s)

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Sun, 09/04/2011 - 11:14

PLEASE PLEASE PUT THEM ON AMAZON.COM I'M BEGGING YOU

So, I just found this

Comment by Katsuya (not verified) Sun, 09/04/2011 - 16:11

So, I just found this webcomic today...and I've been sitting here for the past four hours reading it. :) Perfectly good way to spend my pre-labor day Sunday! I was laughing with almost every page. Keep up the good work!

From a fellow transplanted-Marylander

P.S. Yuko...I feel your pain. Two years ago, a man in the DC metro mistook me for his daughter...his blonde, caucasian, 12-year old daughter...because we were the same height and it was dark. I'm 100% Asian and in my twenties. *sob*
(Needless to say, he was embarrased, and his family laughed until I thought they were going to die. He made a quick retreat up the escalator while I gaped after him.)

I will buy Lela's bags

Comment by Davisherm (not verified) Sun, 09/04/2011 - 17:46

It's been asked about half a dozen times, but where can I pay Lela for a book besides going to SPX? They are awesome looking and I want one! Maybe two!

How did I type bags? OY! If

Comment by Davisherm (not verified) Sun, 09/04/2011 - 17:48

How did I type bags? OY! If she made custom bags as well, and they looked this awesome I'd buy those too!

This is the best insult ever.

Comment by Quinn (not verified) Sun, 09/04/2011 - 19:26

This is the best insult ever.