Some recommendations!

Some recommendations!

Tue, 09/27/2011 - 17:54 by Ananth in response to chair sniper

Rook is king of the chair swipe - he is so smooth that it's over before you ever had a chance. Darn cat.

First things first: We're in DC/MD this week for a wedding so any orders made through the store will be handled after October 3rd. Thanks for your patience! We even went and bought a new scanner so that we'd be able to update - the Canon LIDE series is reliable, lightweight and easy to use. We use the LIDE80 and the LIDE700F, if you're looking for recommendations.

Speaking of recommendations ... I'll tell you that it's not often I read superhero comics. It's not that I dislike them, but as a lapsed reader I find it difficult to jump in at any given moment (and I try from time to time). And I'll be honest: Thor was actually one of my least favorite characters - but Thor: The Mighty Avenger by Roger Langridge and Chris Samnee is (to me) everything that can be right about superhero comics. It's cozy, charming, and seamless - the superhero stuff is folded neatly into the larger character-driven story. There is plenty of great action, but I was pleasantly surprised at the way the building romance between Jane and Thor was handled - very natural and warm, I was delighted every step of the way.

Romance has always felt a little harsh in superhero comics, I think possibly because of the mechanics of the way a story is delivered. It probably hinges on the type of release schedule that they keep - things usually have to happen at a certain pace so there's little room for a slow build (that's meant as an observation rather than a critique). Anyway! One of my favorite aspects of the Thor: The Mighty Avenger is the implicit trust between writer and artist - there are a lot of moments where the writer is able to omit dialogue because the facial expressions and body language do a ton of the work. There are (sadly) only two volumes, but they're self-contained and easy to follow! Here's a link to Vol. 1 and Vol. 2

That's all for us! Catch you Thursday.

Comments

My Cat does the exact same

Comment by KNight (not verified) Tue, 09/27/2011 - 17:56

My Cat does the exact same thing, she has forced me to keep a stool near my desk at all times so I have something to sit on!

Hahaha! I'm glad I'm not the

Comment by Ananth Tue, 09/27/2011 - 18:10

Hahaha! I'm glad I'm not the only one ... Rook has his own copilot chair too.

same!

Comment by Jingseng (not verified) Tue, 09/27/2011 - 19:45

My bombay does the same chair stealin' bit... she has her own chair too, but rarely cares for it =/ lol

lols

Comment by tabby (not verified) Tue, 09/27/2011 - 18:24

poor ananth XD my friend's cat does something like that and the first time I saw him do that I spilled coffee all over me! It didn't come off my shirt , but at least Zero got to have a seat...

My dog does this all the

Comment by Oma (not verified) Tue, 09/27/2011 - 19:40

My dog does this all the time...

randy was right.

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Tue, 09/27/2011 - 19:54

randy was right.

you have things backwards

Comment by shauna (not verified) Tue, 09/27/2011 - 20:06

Things will be made much easier if you accept that they are your cats' chairs and they are just letting you use them, this can also apply to beds.

I find it interesting how when you have more than one cat they have their own spots.

So true. And of course, just

Comment by foe (not verified) Tue, 09/27/2011 - 20:28

So true. And of course, just when you think you know where you can sit without disturbing a furball's seat of choice, all the cats simultaneously rotate and move to brand new favorite locations.

Cat ninja...

Comment by Ulf (not verified) Tue, 09/27/2011 - 21:04

Sort of like Batman, only instead of disappearing randomly while you're talking to him he appears randomly before you realize what he's up to. Yeah, something like that.

NY Comiccon

Comment by Kat (not verified) Tue, 09/27/2011 - 21:06

Will you guys be at NY Comic Con again this year?

Yup! We'll post details soon!

Comment by Ananth Tue, 09/27/2011 - 23:27

Yup! We'll post details soon!

Rook moves more like a

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Tue, 09/27/2011 - 21:39

Rook moves more like a knight.

wow

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Wed, 09/28/2011 - 21:51

that was an awesome chess pun.

Fan meet up???

Comment by FinalFantazC (not verified) Wed, 09/28/2011 - 00:49

Was wondering if you guys ever thought of a fan meet up sometime. I know your busy this week but in the future will there be any?

The only animals I allow on chairs...

Comment by ??? (not verified) Wed, 09/28/2011 - 03:27

...Are ducks and penguins. Cats I would throw off, even if they put up a fight.

This. Cats all need to move

Comment by Blah (not verified) Thu, 09/29/2011 - 16:02

This.
Cats all need to move out and get a job lol, freeloaders of society! >:D

Thor: The Mighty Avenger IS

Comment by Mary Sue (not verified) Wed, 09/28/2011 - 07:20

Thor: The Mighty Avenger IS great. It was the best book on my pull list for a while and always got a smile out of me.

My ex-gf's one cat was like

Comment by Kuragari (not verified) Wed, 09/28/2011 - 08:38

My ex-gf's one cat was like that, I'd let him in and he'd steal my seat. Bastard.

Daaaaawww

Comment by Robert V Aldrich (not verified) Wed, 09/28/2011 - 12:08

That's adorable!
I don't know what's cuter; Rook or Ananth's expression.

My cat does the very same

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Wed, 09/28/2011 - 13:23

My cat does the very same thing. I kick her off and then she starts to bite my foot.

Cats are amazing.

Comment by Maisie (not verified) Wed, 09/28/2011 - 17:47

This is really funny. My cat is afraid of my guitar.

- Maisie

seriously?!?!

Comment by Ethne (not verified) Wed, 09/28/2011 - 21:52

seriously?!?!

seriously?!?! what part

Comment by Ethne (not verified) Wed, 09/28/2011 - 21:53

seriously?!?! what part scares your cat? your playing or just the thing in general?

-Ethne

It boggles my mind that this

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Wed, 09/28/2011 - 19:42

It boggles my mind that this comic regularly shows strips that are devoid of any kind of humour 'cept for "Kitties be so so silly!"

The autism must be your biggest audience.

Uncalled for.

Comment by mwick (not verified) Thu, 09/29/2011 - 06:36

Uncalled for.

Wow, that could not have

Comment by AmbrosiaWriter (not verified) Thu, 09/29/2011 - 11:27

Wow, that could not have been any more ignorant or crude if you had tried.

aaah, cats

Comment by deva713 (not verified) Thu, 09/29/2011 - 19:14

The best is when I'll get up from my arm chair (aka, comfiest chair ever) for a bathroom break or to get a snack and when I get back both my cats are sitting there and just look at me like, "What? You got up, tough luck." And they're too damn cute to retaliate against. This is also why I have a queen sized bed.

Hopefully not as bad as