Krampus!

Krampus!

Thu, 12/22/2011 - 19:54 by Ananth in response to grüss vom death und cecilia

Krampus is a creature with roots in Germanic folklore, and is essentially the bad cop to St. Nicholas's good cop. St. Nicholas hands gifts out to the good kids, and Krampus warns and punishes bad kids - and if a kid is particularly naughty, he'll throw him or her into his sack and carry them off to his lair to eat. Krampus has appeared on cards in the Alpine regions of Europe since the 1800s - in older depictions he is more fearsome and scary, while in newer versions he is generally cuter. You can read more about Krampus at Wikipedia.

Anyway, Yuko came across some images of Krampus where he is depicted with young women and in the act of wooing (tempting?) them,

and here he's shown carrying a bunch of women off:

Yuko really likes the dapper one, but I think I prefer the idea of Krampus as an awkward shut-in who only comes out once a year with St. Nick. But anyway, one thing led to another led to today's illustration. Merry Christmas, Happy Hannukah, Happy Holidays - Happy Everything! You guys better have a good one, I'll be checking.

Just wanted to mention three things:

• First, the Nemu*Nemu Kickstarter is nearing it's goal and completion date (in 4 days)! Scott and Audra are two of our favorite folks and their comic is fun and light-hearted - if you like Johnny Wander or Yotsuba&! there's a good chance you'll dig Nemu*Nemu (you can check for yourself!). It's also kid-friendly, for any parents or folks looking for comics for their littler siblings/cousins. Check it out!
  • Second, all orders are on hold until the New Year! We'll probably start shipping again around January 5th - just a heads up!
  • Third, the release party for JW:V2:Escape To NY will be the evening of Friday, January 13th in Brooklyn, NY! We're still working out the details, but one of the things we have in the works is a live reading of John Advice by John himself! And it'll most likely be catered by our own pal Lela! Oh, and we'll have copies of Volume 2, of course.

That's all for us! Have a great holiday and we'll catch you next week! Stay warm!

Comments

Krampus! This comic made my

Comment by lilnifer (not verified) Thu, 12/22/2011 - 20:29

Krampus! This comic made my night (currently in south-east Germany where they sadly do not have Krampus)!
I do have to say he definitely is not cute. I was in Bayern for Christmas two years ago and St. Nicholaus and Krampus came to talk to the kids and he had the chains, the horns, the long tongue, and a lot of fur.

Not really in the South-West

Comment by Zehnoda (not verified) Mon, 12/26/2011 - 22:13

Not really in the South-West either. Gruss von Baden-Wuttenberg.

allseo

Comment by allseo (not verified) Tue, 02/14/2012 - 02:25

Microsoft Office 2011 mobile computing on the go easier Microsoft Office 2010 with access to all your Download Office 2010 settings in one place and Office 2010 Download greater connection and networking Microsoft Office 2010 Download options. Now you can access Microsoft Office 2007 Download and share all your work computer Microsoft Office 2011 programs and network resources Buy Windows 7 whether at home or Download Windows 7 on the road. You can even Win 7 disconnect from the network Microsoft Windows 7 and then have your network Windows 7 files automatically and Office 2007 Key seamlessly updated with any new changes.
Microsoft Office 2007 Professional you schedule automatic periodic backups to Office 2010 Key save your data or an entire system image to a MS Office 2007 location or a local drive. This helps you quickly Office 2010 restore individual Office 2010 Professional .

Adorable

Comment by AmbrosiaWriter (not verified) Thu, 12/22/2011 - 20:39

Ha! That's so cute. Have a Happy Holiday for whichever persuasion you may be!

Am I the only one loving her

Comment by Foe (not verified) Thu, 12/22/2011 - 23:32

Am I the only one loving her capelet/coat? Adorable!

just wondering

Comment by Laura K (not verified) Thu, 12/22/2011 - 23:49

how does death kiss celia? can he kiss her if he makes sure to hold back his death powers or do they live a very non physical lifestyle?

I don't want to give this

Comment by Ananth Thu, 12/22/2011 - 23:57

I don't want to give this away because we're going to touch on it in a future arc, but I promise it's cute! ;)

I like to imagine it's

Comment by Mute (not verified) Fri, 12/23/2011 - 01:15

I like to imagine it's something similar to Chuck and the piemaker from Pushing Daisies ^_^

YES! YES! this is so awesome!

Comment by the other ghost girl (not verified) Fri, 12/23/2011 - 00:03

YES! YES! this is so awesome!

Best Santa's helper costumes ever drawn

Comment by Alain (not verified) Fri, 12/23/2011 - 00:54

If Cecilia is one of Santa's helpers in this drawing then this is one of the best Santa's helper costumes ever drawn. I have nothing against scantily clad elf girls in red and white but they get boring after a while.

servus(hello in austria)

Comment by vienna krampus (not verified) Fri, 12/23/2011 - 00:55

we have a similar folklore in austria like the german and i also like the krampus. on the 5th december he has a own day before st.nicholas(nikolo in austria) comes to the children and bring oranges, nuts and candy. and it was like halloween to us children and dresses like him and go to doors of the neigbhours and try to frighten them. but today YOUR halloween destroy this tradition. nobody to that on the 5th anymore.
but in some parts of austria its still here. google "krampuslauf" if you want to see really good costumes of krampus.

good evening and thank you for your drawings.

Lovely work as always! And I

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Fri, 12/23/2011 - 01:04

Lovely work as always! And I particularily love that you touch on a folklore that actually is very prominent where I live!

Just a little thing I noticed: My mother tongue is german, and it is actually written "Grüße vom Tod und Cecilia" even better would be "Schöne Grüße vom Tod und Cecilia" - Just a small thing though :)

I wish you all happy Christmas!

I was just about to post

Comment by Namsab (not verified) Fri, 12/23/2011 - 04:26

I was just about to post this. It could be either "Gruß vom Tod und Cecilia" as a singular greeting, or the already mentioned "Grüße" as in greetingS :)

Otherwise this is lovely and cute and ohgosh I can't wait for their next storyline because I love both of them so much.

Grüße von der Zuckerlmitzi

Comment by Zuckerlmitzi (not verified) Fri, 12/23/2011 - 01:08

The Caption should be "Grüße von Death und Cecilia." I know, "ß" is a strange letter to write. Maybe have a look at this:
Of course it's perfectly fine to have double "s" instead of "ß", but I thought you might still want to try to write it :)

Plus: You might be interested in what we call "Perchten" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perchta).

Greetings from Vienna

That's exactly how I'd put it^^

Comment by r4ind4nce (not verified) Fri, 12/23/2011 - 05:20

Pretty much the first thing I thought when reading this comic. Since I suppose we're treating Death and Cecilia as names and they're two "persons" to begin with you'd write "Grüße von". If only Death was greeting and we'd treat him solely as the personification of, well, death (therefore also translating his name) you'd say "Grüße vom Tod." (Greetings from death).
Since Death's status and role might be a bit ambivalent here I suppose it'd feel more correct if you went with the greeting Zuckerlmitzi suggested.

On a sidenote: I'm from Berlin and don't really know much about southern German dialects though I am pretty sure people in Bavaria and Baden-Württemberg DO have a tendency to say "Grüße vom Ananth." (for instance) as long as it's a single person and male - mostly. I've heard other uses from Swabian folks as well, but you know - DIALECTS! HOW DO THEY WORK?!^^

Cheers, folks! Keep up the awesomeness :3

Finally!

Comment by Aidan (not verified) Thu, 12/29/2011 - 00:18

Other German linguistic nerds! I'm glad I'm not the only one...

Lots of readers from Austria and Germany

Comment by Simon (not verified) Fri, 12/23/2011 - 04:43

Hey there!

Just wanted to say hi from Austria and how much I love your comic (not just today's). Seems like half the continent beat me to it, though :-D

Gotta love the internets.

Krampus! I'm so glad more

Comment by Viga (not verified) Fri, 12/23/2011 - 05:53

Krampus! I'm so glad more people are knowing who that is! This is so cute too!

They're not so hard to still

Comment by Greg (not verified) Fri, 12/23/2011 - 09:17

They're not so hard to still find-- it's an event in my wife's home town of Oberstdorf, Germany. Decades ago you didn't go outside in town on the evening of 6 Dec, lest you get beaten and/or thrown in a fountain or some such thing, by mobs of drunk guys in furs, horns and really, really loud cowbells tied to their waists. Nowadays it's a bit of an attraction, the men must register, and there's lots of police keeping it under control. You can still get a good wack from a birch whip when the police aren't looking, though. The creepier but less known one is a day or two before, when the women come out with headscarfs, face masks, and long pointed noses. And whips.

More about the 'bad

Comment by Noora (not verified) Fri, 12/23/2011 - 10:23

More about the 'bad santa'-tradition, I recommend this Finnish movie called "Rare Exports". Suits perfectly for Christmas time.

I love that last picture.

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Fri, 12/23/2011 - 10:44

I love that last picture. The girls look so bemused by the whole situation, like "Oh well, I deserve it I guess. Better make the best of this." And St. Nick and the Krampus look like this is so ordinary.

"Hey Nick do you want to go to Burger King after this"
"Krampus we do not have time for that"
"Come on I'm hungry and it's right there"
"Oh fine but only if you buy for the girls too"
"Hey girls we're going to Burger King do you want anything"

Est Ein Wunderbar Krampus

Comment by Big John (not verified) Fri, 12/23/2011 - 13:40

This makes my day. I'm actually in the middle of writing a humor novel parodying all the traditional Christmas tropes and mass media presentations of Christmas cheer. It features the dynamic duo of Saint Nicholas and Krampus, except Krampus comes to the conclusion that there's no place for him in the world anymore and attempts suicide. Nicholas saves him at the last minute and takes him on an epic, and wildly unlikely, journey to show him all the possible worlds without Krampus. It's a rip off of It's A Wonderful Christmas, except as Nicholas goes from one reality to the next, he slowly comes to the conclusion that the world is better off without Krampus. Unforunately, Krampus now wants to live again. I have big hopes for it. :)

Hey, that looks interesting,

Comment by Finn (not verified) Thu, 06/28/2012 - 18:30

Hey, that looks interesting, can you tell me more about it?
What's the title?

Krampus!

Comment by Filthy Pazuzu (not verified) Fri, 12/23/2011 - 14:05

I love Krampus! As an American of Scottish & English descent, I'd never heard of him until I saw The Venture Bros. special "A Very Venture Christmas". I like the idea of a "bad cop" to Saint Nick's "good cop".

Excellent comic, I love it. Keep it up!

Ahahaha, that's so awesome

Comment by Fistman (not verified) Fri, 12/23/2011 - 16:07

Ahahaha, that's so awesome guys! I'm from Hungary where we celebrate St. Nicholas Day, so this made my day.
Shit Yuko, you even got his birch right, you're my hero(ine).

It's funny, because here in

Comment by Meike (not verified) Fri, 12/23/2011 - 20:23

It's funny, because here in the Netherlands we do celebrate St.Nicholas (Sinterklaas) on the 5th of December, but I'd never heard of Krampus until now. As a child we were told that St.Nicholas himself would take you, in a bag, to his residence in Spain (he's certainly living the good life). His companions, the Black Pete's, would hit the naughty kids and give you coal or salt.

Oh, so much rambling. Check it out if you'd like :)

Loving the comic!

First- I love the

Comment by Steve (not verified) Fri, 12/23/2011 - 21:40

First- I love the illustration. Everything in Cecilia's world makes me squee. But secondly, I have to wonder "is it just me or does that third krampus image look like something out of a cyriak video?"

My father and Grandma used

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Sat, 12/24/2011 - 01:44

My father and Grandma used to scare me through out the year with stories of Krampus eating me if I wasn't good... I love this Krampus! He's adorable!

death as krampus should

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Sat, 12/24/2011 - 07:03

death as krampus should definitely be made into a print!

That's a lovely mantle

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Sat, 12/24/2011 - 07:56

That's a lovely mantle Cecilia's wearing :>

Beautiful!

Comment by Jostein (not verified) Sat, 12/24/2011 - 09:19

That's a wonderful illustration! Their clothing is just dappadorable. It should definitely be made into a print, or a Christmas card!

Have a Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!

I love Death as the Krampus!

Comment by Suzanne (not verified) Sat, 12/24/2011 - 14:30

I love Death as the Krampus! But I also love the idea of Krampus being an awkward shut-in, because that makes a lot of sense. I'll take either, really.

Since I live in the middle of the U.S. and cannot attend the release party, would it be too much to ask for a video of the event? (Especially John reading aloud some John Advice, and maybe a view of everyone eating cake.) I'm super-bummed I won't be able to go, so have fun for me. : )

Merry Christmas to you both, and all of your friends whom we've been so privileged to be introduced to. And Happy New Year for good measure!

Her face says it all.

Comment by Shoebox (not verified) Sun, 12/25/2011 - 09:16

She just wants to tap dat ass.

I like the idea that they

Comment by Craig (not verified) Mon, 12/26/2011 - 11:36

I like the idea that they posed for this picture as their holiday card.

And oh man, a Hungarian commented on this! De jó! Olyan tetszik magyarorszag! Sajnos soha nem halottam egy magyar krampusnak.

Very interesting information

Comment by Ragnarok (not verified) Tue, 12/27/2011 - 02:03

Very interesting information and pictures didn't know this before.

Wait wait

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Tue, 12/27/2011 - 16:55

This Krampus thing sounds a lot like Team Fortress 2's Australian Christmas.

You think Valve knew about this?

As a German, I have to be a

Comment by TheNikus (not verified) Tue, 06/12/2012 - 09:49

As a German, I have to be a so nit-picky as to tell you that it should read "Grüße von Death und Cecilia". Just sayin'. You probably only meant it to look German anyway.

They've created a realistic,

Comment by women looking for couples (not verified) Sun, 07/29/2012 - 15:37

They've created a realistic, relatable world of super-heroes and super-villains. The ancient ways of terrible inner monologues and sloppy, awkward conversations are gone