MEOW

MEOW

Thu, 12/29/2011 - 17:02 by Ananth in response to roadtrip soundtrack

Rook and Cricket came with us to Yuko's parents' place, which means they serenaded us with a chorus of miserable meows. I think Cricket was mostly imitating Rook ... but Rook hates cars. Not a car cat, that one.

We saw Girl with the Dragon Tattoo on Christmas. Not a very feel-good movie, but I liked it! Rooney Mara and Daniel Craig were both well cast, especially Mara - she really 'got' Lisbeth Salander. The movie itself is a big blur of snow and sexy coffee. And a warning: If you were uncomfortable with certain content in the book, you're not going to feel any better about it in the movie. We tried watching the Swedish version afterwards - a mistake. Salander is portrayed very conventionally pretty which seemed at odds with the text, and something about Blomkvist just didn't grab me ... he felt bland? There may have been some cultural nuance that escaped me, though. If you want to watch both, I'd recommend watching the Swedish version first.

That's all for us! Thanks for the sci-fi recommendations last week, I really appreciate it! Have a happy (and safe) New Year, see you on the other side!

Comments

I demand fan art of Lisbeth

Comment by unambitious_content (not verified) Thu, 12/29/2011 - 17:22

I demand fan art of Lisbeth Salander.

allseo

Comment by allseo (not verified) Tue, 02/14/2012 - 02:25

Microsoft Office 2011 mobile computing on the go easier Microsoft Office 2010 with access to all your Download Office 2010 settings in one place and Office 2010 Download greater connection and networking Microsoft Office 2010 Download options. Now you can access Microsoft Office 2007 Download and share all your work computer Microsoft Office 2011 programs and network resources Buy Windows 7 whether at home or Download Windows 7 on the road. You can even Win 7 disconnect from the network Microsoft Windows 7 and then have your network Windows 7 files automatically and Office 2007 Key seamlessly updated with any new changes.
Microsoft Office 2007 Professional you schedule automatic periodic backups to Office 2010 Key save your data or an entire system image to a MS Office 2007 location or a local drive. This helps you quickly Office 2010 restore individual Office 2010 Professional .

Pretty plz :)

Comment by unambitious_content (not verified) Thu, 12/29/2011 - 17:23

Pretty plz :)

I watched the swedish

Comment by Kist (not verified) Thu, 12/29/2011 - 17:33

I watched the swedish version the other week too (since it had been on my list for a while and I decided I had to watch it before forking over any moolah for the remake version) and I thought it was odd how pretty she was too. I just figured it was self-esteem issues... or they wanted the movie to make money. Something like that.

The american version plays

Comment by Ananth Thu, 12/29/2011 - 17:34

The american version plays it much closer to the book in terms of appearance! I was surprised and also really pleased.

(Switch Cs for Ks if you don't get it.)

Comment by Softy (not verified) Thu, 12/29/2011 - 17:33

It's okay if Rook isn't a car cat. Carcats tend to be rather hateful.

Ah, yes, surely this wasn't

Comment by Emi (not verified) Thu, 12/29/2011 - 19:02

Ah, yes, surely this wasn't coincidental... ;)

I giggled louder then I

Comment by Socks (not verified) Mon, 01/02/2012 - 19:11

I giggled louder then I should have thats just to funny~

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Tue, 01/03/2012 - 12:07

The phoenix down shirt

Comment by hohhoi (not verified) Thu, 12/29/2011 - 18:30

The phoenix down shirt arrived. Thank you for the sticker and the little figures! :)

My cat used to spend any car

Comment by pk (not verified) Thu, 12/29/2011 - 19:06

My cat used to spend any car journey hiding under the nearest seat, emitting a plaintive high-pitched noise for longer than you'd believe possible.

I'm fairly big on the Swedish version of Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, and hadn't planned to see the American one because, while I agree that Noomi Rapace is probably more conventionally pretty than Lisbeth Salander is described, her portrayal really resonated with my mental image of the character. But maybe I should give the adaptation a try.

I liked the Swedish

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Thu, 12/29/2011 - 19:19

I liked the Swedish versions. I watched them before there was even any talk about a Hollywood remake. After watching the Swedish versions (out of order, accidentally) I read the books in order. I'm actually a bit sceptical about this Hollywood remake, but I will definitely check it out. Everyone says it's great. I don't know about anyone else, but Daniel Craig didn't seem like a good match for Blomkvist in my opinion, even after reading the books.

Lisbeth too pretty?

Comment by Eoin (not verified) Thu, 12/29/2011 - 19:29

Noomi Rapace did some serious kickboxing to get into shape for the Swedish version. I haven't seen the new one but I don't think she looked "pretty".

I may actually give the

Comment by Luka (not verified) Thu, 12/29/2011 - 20:06

I may actually give the remake a try on your advice. I think I am going to regret it but it will burn so good.

Poor cats XD Their misery makes the internet giggle.

Cats are the loudest

Comment by Emma (not verified) Thu, 12/29/2011 - 20:15

Cats are the loudest in the car it seems.

My cat likes to lul me into a false sense of security with some silence and then break it with a blood-curdling howl. I almost drove off the road the first time she pulled that...

I'm so confused. Noomi

Comment by jillian (not verified) Thu, 12/29/2011 - 20:50

I'm so confused. Noomi Rapace as Lisbeth Salander, very conventionally pretty? Part of why I like her so much is that she's the exact opposite of that. I'm not like, outraged here, I'm seriously bewildered.

Really?

Comment by AmbrosiaWriter (not verified) Thu, 12/29/2011 - 21:56

You consider her to be the exact opposite of conventionally pretty? You must have a different vision of what conventional beauty is, because I can look at Rapace and from a glance I can say "She's a very attractive/beautiful/pretty woman."

Being the opposite of conventional beauty means that you really have to examine the person in order to realize what makes them beautiful/pretty/attractive I don't need to do that to Noomi in order to know she's pretty.

I don't think that is an

Comment by jillian (not verified) Mon, 01/02/2012 - 10:24

I don't think that is an accurate definition of conventional beauty, no.

lol, cats

Comment by Tori (not verified) Thu, 12/29/2011 - 20:56

My cats are the same way! The one that hates cars literally pants like a dog b/c he stresses himself out & the vet (his only car ride) is 10 mins away

Comment by ?? (not verified) Thu, 12/29/2011 - 21:28

:| :| :|

Noomi Rapace > Rooney Mara

Comment by Kuragari (not verified) Thu, 12/29/2011 - 21:41

Noomi Rapace > Rooney Mara for me. Mara looks like a creepy scarecrow. Not really believable for me after seeing the Swedish version long before the Hollywood ver was a thought. I'm sure Daniel Craig does a better job for the male lead. I definitely liked the Swedish ver's Nils Bjurman, you just want him to get what he got lol

I agree - Noomi is the

Comment by DustAngel (not verified) Fri, 12/30/2011 - 17:39

I agree - Noomi is the better actress, she was much more intense, and has much more screen presence, than Rooney. Everything else about the American version is far far superior in every way (including Lisbeth as a Character).

For how many hours did they

Comment by Spooky (not verified) Thu, 12/29/2011 - 21:51

For how many hours did they do this? XD You lucky lucky people, you.

My response

Comment by AmbrosiaWriter (not verified) Thu, 12/29/2011 - 21:54

Whenever cats start meowing I just reply to them with a meow mimicking their tone and pitch. It makes it less annoying for me, ha.

Aww, see, I've found that my

Comment by Lala (not verified) Thu, 12/29/2011 - 22:27

Aww, see, I've found that my cats *hate* the car... When they're riding in carriers. But when I give them free reign of the car, they are perfectly happy to sit in the rear window (and occasionally play musical laps) and watch the world go by.

My oldest, Koneko, absolutely *adores* car rides, so long as the carrier is not involved. The boys could take it or leave it. But carriers are what scare them most.

I've also never had a cat get carsick when riding freely in the car. But when in the carrier, it seems to happen every time!

The same thing is true of my

Comment by Bluescale (not verified) Mon, 01/02/2012 - 01:08

The same thing is true of my cats. Allthough my cat was a real aloof jerk when my mom and sis had to cross several states with him and his sister. He didn't constantly meow but hid away and complain every time there was inclimite weather. He even hissed at the windsheild wipers and wouldn't calm down until the rain was all over.
The following year I helped my mom move back in the car with the cats. He quietly sat on my lap and cuddled for hours on end even through heavy thunderstorms, wipers and all, while his sister took the same approach he originally had on the trip out.
I think it was the length of a trip from CA to IN that did them in and depending on which one got to have their 'mommy' with them on the trip they acted accordingly crabby or content.
But yeah, try letting them out of the carrier and be wary of cats underfeet if you are driving.

Happy hair

Comment by Alain (not verified) Fri, 12/30/2011 - 00:59

Have a happy cat hair new year!

Record it!

Comment by Aerie (not verified) Fri, 12/30/2011 - 01:00

Now I just want to hear what Rook and Cricket sound like. Yuko should video tape it!

Swede V. Amer

Comment by SuziRoo (not verified) Fri, 12/30/2011 - 02:43

I watched the Swedish version and never the entire time thought that Lisbeth was even remotely attractive. Now when I go back and look at pics I guess I can see it in her eyes but that's all. Looking at pictures for the American version I get the same feeling.

Hahaa, my cat Sega loves car

Comment by Shifty (not verified) Fri, 12/30/2011 - 03:23

Hahaa, my cat Sega loves car rides, she always sits on my lap and looks out the window :3

Man, I really want to watch that movie, but I couldn't even read the books because the *ahem* content kept giving me panic attacks ;_;
But I know the whole synopses, so I guess that's better than nothing...

I saw the series when it

Comment by Eleriel (not verified) Fri, 12/30/2011 - 13:36

I saw the series when it aired on TV about two years ago... I never read the books, but my dad said the series was very true to them (too much so in one instance).
only saw a bit of the swedish movie... felt literally like a recap of the series.

Never been a fan of remakes (Nikita anyone?) ... but I might give this a try.

I myself as like the Swedish

Comment by Herrrp (not verified) Fri, 12/30/2011 - 17:17

I myself as like the Swedish version better, mostly because the Hollywood version forgot that it's all about feminism. (Also a litle because I'm Finnish) The movie and the book is in Swedish is "Men who hate women" not "The girl with a dragon tattoo." Rooney Mara actually said that she doesn't think of Lisbeth Salander as a feminist. Oh boy. But yes, watching the Swedish versions first is a good idea. :-)

That is my car trip with my

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Fri, 12/30/2011 - 19:13

That is my car trip with my cats.

I myself prefer the Swedish version, but I haven't read the books so I can only compare the two different movies to each other and not the origin.

I felt the book version of

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Fri, 12/30/2011 - 21:25

I felt the book version of Blomquist was incredibly bland too, so meh.

A thing I didn't like about

Comment by Noctern (not verified) Fri, 12/30/2011 - 22:14

A thing I didn't like about the American version is how they portrayed Lisbeth as someone who's more dependent on the male lead. Like when she asked for permission to kill the dude or how the ending left it off for her. Lisbeth in the Swedish version had a lot more dependency and took things in her own hands. I think my memory was a bit iffy, but the relationship with her female lover in the Swedish version had a more caring tone than a one night stand. So it showed how while she was stoic, she also had a warm side to her character.

But regardless I didn't regret watching the American version, but I felt some changes were unnecessary.

Comment by ??? (not verified) Fri, 12/30/2011 - 22:56

:| :| :|

(Why you delete my post? It was funny!)

Weird, it got picked up by

Comment by Ananth Sat, 12/31/2011 - 21:12

Weird, it got picked up by our filter. Fixed it!

Fair enough.

Comment by ??? (not verified) Tue, 01/03/2012 - 17:28

Fair enough.

As a swede I thought the

Comment by Joakim (not verified) Sat, 12/31/2011 - 11:49

As a swede I thought the swedish version was very good and that the actors did just right. But i very rarely watch movies and nuances may be lost on me.
I have yet to see the Hollywood remake, but am opposed to it on principle, especially considering the swedish ones had pretty high production values.

Haven't seen the American version yet

Comment by WendyZ (not verified) Sat, 12/31/2011 - 22:01

I read all three books, and have seen the first two Sweden movies, and I have to agree with you about Blomkvist. He really didn't seem to fit the part for me. And they left out a lot of his personality, that helps bridge the gap between the first and second movie. And there were some scenes that they didn't have to quite elaborate so much on. It wasn't nearly that, horrible, in the book. But, I guess that's what they do in movies. I can't wait to see the American versions though.

You said...

Comment by Soren (not verified) Sun, 01/01/2012 - 03:07

"but Rook hates cars. Not a car cat, that one. "
"Not a car cat, that one. "
"Not a Karkat."
I need to stop reading Homestuck...

Being cats, they're probably more like Leos...

Comment by Andy (not verified) Tue, 01/24/2012 - 11:59

Which would make them A&Y's nePETas, amirite?

Happy new year =D

Comment by Bird (not verified) Sun, 01/01/2012 - 07:23

Happy new year =D

I've not seen the American version but disliked the Swedish ver.

Comment by Mira (not verified) Mon, 01/02/2012 - 15:16

I've not seen the American remake yet, but I can say I didn't even finish the Swedish version. I really got into the books and the Swedish film just seemed flat-all of the subtext about the characters was missing. I disliked Blomquist even more than I had in the book, and I found him to be the most distracting and unlikable character. I got about 3/4 of the way through the movie and just stopped. I was not impressed.

I do have to say the "feminist" themes ala Blomquist were at times hard to take-and hardly feminist-it was as if the author was trying to portray his own alternative take on sexual mores as the only *right* way to think/be. I found the constant reassertion of these views terribly over wrought and distracting from the story itself. In short, the worst part of the book was Bomquist-the faithless, selfish, thinks-with-his-little-head pig as the hero. I found his ideals to be less than admirable and, with a little research, seem a little to self aggrandizing of the author's own life choices.

Homestuck?

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Mon, 01/02/2012 - 17:15

Car cats remind me of carcat which reminds me of karkat! :) u know, Karkat Vantas?

Blomkvist

Comment by Becca (not verified) Tue, 01/03/2012 - 06:37

I live in Australia so The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo hasn't been released yet-I'm a big fan and have the books and the Swedish movies though.

My concern was that Craig would make Blomkvist too manly and hero-esque, which to me in the book he wasn't-he was a chain-smoking morally preoccupied journalist-an almost scholarly character. Did anyone find that was a problem with the movie?

Just watched both too.

Comment by James Anderson (not verified) Tue, 01/03/2012 - 09:40

I never read the book, so we watched the Swedish version after watching the US version to clear a few things up that we missed. I have to agree, this new version was better.

I love your comic, by the way! I've been going back through the archives and reading it all. Awesomeness!

Cats, movie, books

Comment by maldar (not verified) Tue, 01/03/2012 - 09:55

My cats are the same when it comes to cars; I think it reminds them of being taken away from their mommy.

I have seen the 3 Swedish films and do not see how Lisbeth is that pretty, I do see her as someone that becomes a strong independant woman. While she enjoys companionship, she does not require a male partner. She also makes the statement that she is not going to be a conformist, and will do her own thing.

I have not red the books and plan to read each after I see the American versions of the films.

I have Swedish friends and cannot wait to hear what they say of the American versions as they havered and watched the originals.

Apparently, the American

Comment by Pupsqueak (not verified) Tue, 01/03/2012 - 11:10

Apparently, the American version of Dragon Tattoo followed the book better, which surprised me. I've seen both and I had plans on seeing the American and Swedish versions back-to-back to compare but... my friend and I decided we should have a drink instead. That is one tough movie/series! It's been a while since I've seen the original, so I can't say a whole lot more except that I preferred the Swedish Lisbeth, not sure why. Perhaps I'll have to go back and rewatch it.

Swedish version

Comment by Sigrid (not verified) Fri, 01/06/2012 - 12:20

I read all 3 books first, then saw all 3 Swedish movies. I thought they were pretty well done. Haven't seen the new American movie yet. I think you're right about seeing the Swedish films first. Maybe it's a cultural thing.....................