the exquisite beast

the exquisite beast

Thu, 01/05/2012 - 17:18 by Ananth in response to let's make a sandwich

Yuko's dad is a really good cook! Sometimes you just gotta combine those leftovers to clear out the fridge.

Here's an exciting announcement: Yuko and Evan are working on a new project together! They're going to take turns drawing creatures derived from the previous generation as the species undergoes a theoretical evolutionary process. As Evan says, "We'll play with the aesthetic of living things and the process of natural selection, and may or may not end up with a biologically plausible series of beasts." It's called The Exquisite Beast and will be updated on Tuesdays and Fridays.  It's being posted over on Tumblr for your convenience:

And we are doing a release party for Johnny Wander Vol. 2: Escape to New York at Bergen St. Comics on January 13th at 8 PM! You can read more about it here - we'll have food and drinks, John will do a live reading of John Advice, and we'll have copies of the book that Yuko can sign and doodle in for you. Drop in, it'll be a good time!

That's all for us! See you next week!

Comments

ONCE AGAIN

Comment by Kilimbo (not verified) Thu, 01/05/2012 - 17:55

We miss out on seeing Yuko's dad.

allseo

Comment by allseo (not verified) Tue, 02/14/2012 - 02:25

Microsoft Office 2011 mobile computing on the go easier Microsoft Office 2010 with access to all your Download Office 2010 settings in one place and Office 2010 Download greater connection and networking Microsoft Office 2010 Download options. Now you can access Microsoft Office 2007 Download and share all your work computer Microsoft Office 2011 programs and network resources Buy Windows 7 whether at home or Download Windows 7 on the road. You can even Win 7 disconnect from the network Microsoft Windows 7 and then have your network Windows 7 files automatically and Office 2007 Key seamlessly updated with any new changes.
Microsoft Office 2007 Professional you schedule automatic periodic backups to Office 2010 Key save your data or an entire system image to a MS Office 2007 location or a local drive. This helps you quickly Office 2010 restore individual Office 2010 Professional .

Soft Power

Comment by conrad Thu, 01/05/2012 - 18:02

I was crashing at Yuko's place. I had just woken up. I came downstairs to grab a glass of milk from the fridge. There stood Yuko's dad, in nothing but boxers and a tank top. Cordially, but firmly, he handed me a can of V8. In my memory, he said no words.

Now friends, I hate V8. No ill fate would have befallen me had I refused the offer; Yuko's father is a fair and compassionate man, but he is also intense. Extremely intense. As we stood in the basement, his arm protrouded with V8 in hand, everything in my system told me to accept the V8.

Barefoot in Yuko's basement I drank the V8 with tears in my eyes.

Hahahahaha oh man. I love

Comment by Ananth Thu, 01/05/2012 - 18:03

Hahahahaha oh man. I love this story.

Fully Qualified

Comment by conrad Thu, 01/05/2012 - 18:03

I'm excited to see everyone at the book signing on the 13th.

Obey

Comment by AckAckAck (not verified) Fri, 01/06/2012 - 01:48

When you see a man clad in his boxer and tank top and offer you something, just accept his offering.

vrfvnasdvnkje

Comment by Al Paradise (not verified) Fri, 01/06/2012 - 09:50

This is a beautiful story and conrad is a beautiful person.

AAAAH YUKO AND EVAN what a

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Thu, 01/05/2012 - 18:07

AAAAH YUKO AND EVAN what a glorious mashup

Kimchi...

Comment by Jo (not verified) Thu, 01/05/2012 - 18:20

you didn't have a sandwich until you had a kimchi sandwich with strawberry jam.

Kimchi pizza sandwich

Comment by Brian (not verified) Thu, 01/05/2012 - 19:15

As a Korean, I never seen this concept. Was it tasty?

As a Korean, I can tell you

Comment by tengokujin (not verified) Fri, 01/06/2012 - 08:34

As a Korean, I can tell you that making a hot sandwich in the microwave/toaster oven with kimchi and cheese on bread is delicious.

Mmm. Homemade kimchi.

Bleeeech D:

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Thu, 01/05/2012 - 19:23

Bleeeech D:

Euck

Comment by AmbrosiaWriter (not verified) Thu, 01/05/2012 - 19:28

I don't even fold my pizza when it's fresh, I dunno, I just don't like eating pizza in any other way than bite by bite single-stack haha.

Hmmm

Comment by rufiangel (not verified) Thu, 01/05/2012 - 20:22

Let me try out this recipe and get back to you guys...

I approve of Yuko's dad's

Comment by Zaff (not verified) Thu, 01/05/2012 - 20:58

I approve of Yuko's dad's taste. Totally going to try this next time I get pizza.

OMANS

Comment by Zatchmort (not verified) Thu, 01/05/2012 - 21:01

Wow, that Exquisite Beast project looks pretty exciting!! It kind of reminds me of a party game called The Exquisite Co-- ohhhhhh, I see what u did thar... XD

Anyway, best of luck - I look forward to seeing where it goes!

This actually sounds really good to me

Comment by fluffy (not verified) Thu, 01/05/2012 - 23:58

but I also haven't eaten anything of substance in three days due to an intestinal problem so I might not be the best person to ask about what tastes good.

Another suggestion for

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Fri, 01/06/2012 - 01:04

Another suggestion for preparing leftover pizza: put it in a pan on the stove, loosely cover it in foil, and wait. Takes about five minutes on medium heat, but once it's done, the crust is crispy, toppings are hot, and the cheese is melted, and overall, it tastes better than when you first ate it. Microwave pizza is too soggy and oven pizza takes too much time for something as trivial as leftover pizza.

food wishes

Comment by Leah (not verified) Fri, 01/06/2012 - 01:16

My boyfriend said he learned that from Food Wishes Chef John.

That's where I learned it

Comment by EiceBleu (not verified) Fri, 01/06/2012 - 07:41

That's where I learned it too!

Exquisite Beasts!

Comment by Tawny (not verified) Fri, 01/06/2012 - 01:16

Curiosity from a biologist here! I was wondering how you are deciding the selective forces on your undoubtedly awesome creatures? Are you just going with straight aesthetics, or are you actually assigning selective events, as it were? Or are each of you just picking a direction and pushing that way? I am very intrigued by this idea. I will be following it for sure!

Man, during times like this

Comment by Nate (not verified) Fri, 01/06/2012 - 01:33

Man, during times like this I wish I lived closer to you guys. I would love to go to the book party, but I live in the Southeast. It would be great to see you at a convention, too, but the same problem applies there, too. :/ Oh well, I guess one day I will get out of this silly place.

By the way, I love the idea of the Exquisite Beast. Can't wait to see what happens.

OMG that sounds delicious!

Comment by Psydotek (not verified) Fri, 01/06/2012 - 03:48

OMG that sounds delicious! #ilovekimchi

At home, at work, or any

Comment by Jonn (not verified) Fri, 01/06/2012 - 07:58

At home, at work, or any place it would violate the applicable chemical weapons treaties.

mixing things up is always a good thing

Comment by anonymousse (not verified) Fri, 01/06/2012 - 09:01

i've always wanted to try this sort of thing, but poor memory mixed with laziness is like a terrible disease.
i hope you have fun at your book-signing! i'd love to go up and see, but i'm trapped where i am... especially with all the snow that's been coming up lately.

I may have to print this off

Comment by Meg (not verified) Fri, 01/06/2012 - 09:09

I may have to print this off and show my students--I'm working in Korea as a teacher right now and I know the kids love both pizza and kimchi!

Webcast?

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Fri, 01/06/2012 - 09:45

Any possibility of webcasting the release party? Or the reading of John Advice?

I can pretty definitively

Comment by conrad Mon, 01/09/2012 - 12:21

I can pretty definitively say we won't be webcasting this event, my apologies. We're all going to be pretty busy at the event; makes it tough to compose a good webcast for you guys. :(

Oh well, enjoy the party!

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Tue, 01/10/2012 - 09:31

Oh well, enjoy the party!

lol

Comment by Shiraha56 (not verified) Fri, 01/06/2012 - 11:42

I actually thought this was a good idea!..... until I seen all the skulls above.

I think that pizza sandwich

Comment by Brand (not verified) Fri, 01/06/2012 - 11:55

I think that pizza sandwich would cause my ass to exploited in fiery pain.

"my ass...exploited in fiery

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Fri, 01/06/2012 - 13:09

"my ass...exploited in fiery pain"

Ouch.

Grilled pizza sandwich

Comment by Paul W. (not verified) Fri, 01/06/2012 - 13:07

I personally enjoy arranging two slices of leftover pizza as shown and putting that on a panini press or forman grill with some olive oil on both crusts. Once the cheese starts to ooze out and get crispy it's done. Instant grilled cheese.

Fancy.

Death steam

Comment by SuziRoo (not verified) Fri, 01/06/2012 - 19:09

Does the death steam disturb anyone else? Also, anchovy? ICK!

That sandwich looks very

Comment by Hiraku (not verified) Sat, 01/07/2012 - 01:35

That sandwich looks very unhealthy o_o|||

I am a Korean and I approve

Comment by Edelweiss (not verified) Sat, 01/07/2012 - 00:10

I am a Korean and I approve of this recipe.

Oh wow

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Sat, 01/07/2012 - 01:29

I thought Yuko's dad was "The Exquisite Beast" at first and I thought that was an awesome name for a bizarre, lazy yet genius cook.

Let's NOT make a sandwich.

Comment by The Mighty Pegasus (not verified) Sat, 01/07/2012 - 07:02

Let's NOT make a sandwich. Let's not and say we did.

I told my mum about this and

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Sun, 01/08/2012 - 11:49

I told my mum about this and she said it sounded delicious. We're baking some pizza now.

Kimchi?

Comment by White667 (not verified) Sun, 01/08/2012 - 12:04

What on earth is Kimchi? I'm intrigued.

Take some cabbage, smother

Comment by Origamigryphon (not verified) Mon, 01/09/2012 - 08:46

Take some cabbage, smother it in a special hot sauce and salt, and then place underground in a giant earthenware pot until nice and ripe. <3

I have had kimchi pizza, and

Comment by Screamingfurby (not verified) Sun, 01/08/2012 - 13:54

I have had kimchi pizza, and pizza sandwiches, but I have never had kimchi pizza sandwich.. I must fix this.

I didn't know I could comment on these~

Comment by Oddman (not verified) Sun, 01/08/2012 - 14:18

My dad has actually done this, but way more professionally.

He'd made the pizza from scratch with a siracha/tomato sauce. It brought tears to my eyes.

Kimchi

Comment by Goofy Bob (not verified) Mon, 01/09/2012 - 08:20

A good Kimchi is the vegetarian's bacon.

Yuko's dad is obviously a

Comment by Origamigryphon (not verified) Mon, 01/09/2012 - 08:44

Yuko's dad is obviously a gourmand of great proportions. I now want to try kimchi pizza.

O MY

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Tue, 01/17/2012 - 08:32

HAHA EVAN ANd YUKO? its like the most amazing art mashup. ever.

im a korean

Comment by hello (not verified) Wed, 01/25/2012 - 04:52

do you think kimchi is stinky?

that's ridiculous....

anyway, enjoy kimchi

Hi! This is my first comment

Comment by Freddie Murphrey (not verified) Wed, 10/24/2012 - 00:08

Hi! This is my first comment here so I just wanted to give a quick shout out and tell you I truly enjoy reading your posts. Can you suggest any other blogs/websites/forums that cover the same topics? Many thanks! Freddie Murphrey

Nyuuu

Comment by Kabanzai (not verified) Thu, 12/13/2012 - 05:23

.. Nonono. Not Kimchi. You cover them in pickled garlic and dip them in Katsu sauce <3