Benign Kingdom Art Book!

Benign Kingdom Art Book!

Thu, 01/26/2012 - 18:21 by Ananth in response to that's legal, right

I'll just leave that comic there ...

Just a reminder, Special Editions of volume 2 are now up in the store! That means a signed bookplate, a sketch by Yuko, and a sticker. Check it out!

I'm excited to finally be able to talk about Benign Kingdom! Here's a video explaining what the deal is:

Here's a clip from the Kickstarter:

Benign Kingdom is a creator-owned publishing project designed to showcase the art of independent comic creators. This project will fund the printing of four 32-page art books, by webcomic artists Yuko Ota (Johnny Wander), Evan Dahm (Rice Boy), Becky Dreistadt (Tiny Kitten Teeth), and KC Green (Gunshow). These books will include some of the best work each of us have done over the past couple of years, outside of our comics. There will also be one hardcover book, including the full contents of all four individual art books.

Take a look at the Kickstarter here and donate if you're interested! We are sparing no expense in making sure these books look extra sexy, and I am really excited about them. Help us make it happen!

See you next week!

Comments

Got no moneyyyyy. So I can't

Comment by hohhoi (not verified) Thu, 01/26/2012 - 18:23

Got no moneyyyyy. So I can't donate. Sorry. :(

allseo

Comment by allseo (not verified) Tue, 02/14/2012 - 02:22

Microsoft Office 2011 mobile computing on the go easier Microsoft Office 2010 with access to all your Download Office 2010 settings in one place and Office 2010 Download greater connection and networking Microsoft Office 2010 Download options. Now you can access Microsoft Office 2007 Download and share all your work computer Microsoft Office 2011 programs and network resources Buy Windows 7 whether at home or Download Windows 7 on the road. You can even Win 7 disconnect from the network Microsoft Windows 7 and then have your network Windows 7 files automatically and Office 2007 Key seamlessly updated with any new changes.
Microsoft Office 2007 Professional you schedule automatic periodic backups to Office 2010 Key save your data or an entire system image to a MS Office 2007 location or a local drive. This helps you quickly Office 2010 restore individual Office 2010 Professional .

Parents often prefer to use

Comment by Sam O'neal (not verified) Tue, 04/24/2012 - 07:33

Parents often prefer to use full-featured duo/tandem strollers. Such strollers are narrower than the other tandem strollers and they are easier to maneuver in tight spaces. However, the maneuvering becomes more difficult as children become heavier. Also graco duoglider is known for its durability and sturdiness.

Dos Equiis

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Thu, 01/26/2012 - 18:37

I usually don't LOL, but when I do, I LOL because of John.

noooooo

Comment by Jace (not verified) Thu, 01/26/2012 - 18:42

I work at a currency exchange, and whenever anyone says this to me I have to fake a laugh. AND THEN I CRY INSIDE. It also means that I have to double check all of the bills that are given to me, because sometimes you never know if they are joking, or if they are saying it to make you think they are joking. Especially since 20's are the most counterfeited bill (at least in Canada they are.)

So I love John but

Comment by Nicole (not verified) Thu, 01/26/2012 - 19:38

ME TOO. I worked at convenience stores for a few years and whenever someone'd hand me a Yuppie Food Stamp (the only re: 20 dollar bill joke I ever actually laughed at) and crack that line I'd shrivel up inside because I literally cannot fake a laugh or even a convincing smile. When I try, it's worse than not laughing. So they'd know I didn't think it was funny. And they'd think I was insulting them. But really I did laugh the first time I heard it... on my first day of work... but then I'd hear it like twice a week and be like "oh god no here I go hurting someone else's feelings" and yeah.

I love John but please John do not make this joke any more to people who take money for a living. :<

Then again with John's delivery maybe it's actually funny when HE does it, idk.

:<

Also

Comment by Nicole (not verified) Thu, 01/26/2012 - 19:39

The alternate to this is when you're fighting a fresh stack of bills to get them apart and hand them the crinkling crisp twenty and they go, "what, did you just print these?" but at least that one sets you up for the inevitable, "damn, foiled again," and no one's feelings are hurt cos the more you can deadpan that the better.

Well...

Comment by John (from the comic) (not verified) Fri, 01/27/2012 - 09:34

Annoying, isn't it? Consider it revenge for every time a cashier asks if I'd like to sign up for the blahbityblah rewards program, or donate $5 to supersadcharityiveneverheardof, or sign up for a store-brand credit card and then makes me hand over the 4-foot-long receipt to ANOTHER cashier on the way out for an indecipherable marker of indeterminate purpose.

Well, it's not like they

Comment by TheEFAF (not verified) Fri, 01/27/2012 - 12:18

Well, it's not like they have any choice about any of those things... they're mandated by management to ask you all that. If they don't meet quotas of card sign-ups and so on, they might lose their job. Now, you on the other hand DO have the choice to not make the same exact joke thousands of previous people have made.

But hey whatev's.

For more edification on the trials and tribulations of the average retail worker:

We have no choice in this.

Comment by Nicole (not verified) Tue, 01/31/2012 - 15:55

We have no choice in this. It's say it or get fired, as noted below :( We all hate it as much as if not more than you. And we hate the four foot receipts too, because nothing sucks more than having a line and having to replace the roll of paper you put in that morning. And it always seems to need replacing during the busiest ten minutes of the day because machines have an evil second sense that lets them know when you will be most inconvenienced.

Also to address the "just say you get that a lot" below, I've done that. I got yelled at angrily for my bad customer service skills. Apparently chose the wrong person to shun a joke at. I am sure plenty of people (most, I'd assume) would be reasonable about it or just laugh but I was traumatized enough not to pull that one any more.

Anyway. Gonna toss some money at the Kickstarter when I get home if I can scrounge it up, regardless.

Me too, Jace. I work retail

Comment by xyzkitty (not verified) Thu, 01/26/2012 - 18:51

Me too, Jace. I work retail and I get people saying things like this at least twice a week. I hate having to check almost all the bills I get, but I did catch a counterfeit bill once (although he didn't say he'd just printed it).

Reminds me of the dialogue

Comment by Vinnora (not verified) Thu, 01/26/2012 - 18:56

Reminds me of the dialogue that I tend to have at work:

Me: *checking bill*
Customer: Yeah, I just printed that this morning.
Me: Oh, really? It's a stunning replica of the real thing. How'd you do it?

Book plate.

Comment by Omnithea (not verified) Thu, 01/26/2012 - 19:05

Is it microwave safe?

A shame Kickstarter only wants credit cards

Comment by David Herbert (not verified) Thu, 01/26/2012 - 19:05

Or else I would have donated. If you'd gone through indiegogo, they allow paypal donations. Oh well, I'll just tell people about your project.

And when I get people like

Comment by Chitaku (not verified) Thu, 01/26/2012 - 19:26

And when I get people like that in my line at work, I say "Wow, you got the denomination strip and watermarks spot on! Nice work!" =D

One can print money, but not

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Thu, 01/26/2012 - 19:44

One can print money, but not coin. and the printed money CANNOT have a design that is already in use or was in use for any country. several towns have printed their own money, but pay the government(taxes, bills ect...) with US dollars that are kept in the bank vault. But buying food and things from businesses in the towns use the towns printed money, or US dollars for people who pass through. The town money is brought to the bank and exchanged like what one would do with foreign bills.

this actually made me burst

Comment by Firework the Comic (not verified) Thu, 01/26/2012 - 19:56

this actually made me burst out laughing, and that's rare for a JW strip. John is the best!

Kickstarter

Comment by ChristineA (not verified) Thu, 01/26/2012 - 20:52

Hmmm. The B9 Kingdom project looks pretty cool. Will the Death & Cecelia short story be part of Yuko's book?? If so, that is a rather large incentive for me to donate. :D
And today's strip is just awesome. lol!!

Every time you crack that joke a cashier dies inside.

Comment by Raptorix (not verified) Thu, 01/26/2012 - 23:10

I get that joke once a month, and it kills me inside a little bit.

However, if by chance I get a stack of ~FRESH~ $1s, I wouldn't mind people swapping the joke around a little bit.

Target isn't supposed to get paranoid about bills smaller than a 50 unless they look/feel fake right off the bat. So making that joke just fills us with guilt over how many potential fakes we've taken in during the course of our time spent as cashiers.

On particularly bad days at

Comment by RD (not verified) Fri, 01/27/2012 - 00:31

On particularly bad days at work when I was a cashier, I used to nod very seriously when someone made that joke, and then I would call to get a manager to double check the bill, and who when the customer tried to laugh it off, I would calmly but seriously give them some crap about federal regulations, and apologize for taking up their time, etc... The customer would either get very sheepish or very annoyed, but I was usually in the clear with management because they'd heard that joke a thousand times too many as well.

Passive-aggressive

Comment by Matt (not verified) Fri, 01/27/2012 - 04:59

Passive-aggressive brilliance! I applaud this approach.

Oh god this -friggin joke-...

Comment by Hatepig (not verified) Fri, 01/27/2012 - 01:15

I work a register, and I get this one five or six times a day, since I have to check every bill larger than a $1. By the end I'm just smiling and nodding because it's all I can do not to start screaming aloud.

I noticed that if you say

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Fri, 01/27/2012 - 01:38

I noticed that if you say something along the lines of "Since you have admitted to me that the bill is counterfeit, I am legally obligated to notify the authorities and retain the bill solely as evidence and not as legal tender to be used in this transaction, but I am going to assume you meant this as a joke and will let it go. This time." then it stops people from making that joke. Counterfeiting is no joke to those of us who have lost jobs because someone managed to pass a fake bill.

My job has gotten a lot of

Comment by Phillip Albrecht (not verified) Fri, 01/27/2012 - 03:09

My job has gotten a lot of counterfeits, so when someone makes this joke, I tell them we have the Secret Service on speed dial.

'Cause we do.

Oh John, you...

Comment by Marcairn (not verified) Fri, 01/27/2012 - 03:42

Oh John, you... laddergoat.

Please marry me

Oh My God

Comment by tahrey (not verified) Fri, 01/27/2012 - 05:52

...he is actually satan.

Come on guys...

Comment by Alex (not verified) Fri, 01/27/2012 - 06:22

Quit your collective bitchin' about the joke, and always keep in mind that when John says something, it's always funny, no matter how ridiculous.
It should be a rule of the internet.
Rule #397 - Anything John says is hilarious to a third party. No exceptions.

I thought...

Comment by tahrey (not verified) Mon, 01/30/2012 - 04:40

...it was another installment of the running joke about him being an evil, evil man.

Y'know, like his previous anecdote about breaking into people's houses and rearranging their CD collections. Or that time he decided the best way to dry chilis was to put them in the oven, therefore filling the apartment with homebrew CS gas.

B9 Kickstarter

Comment by Shan (not verified) Fri, 01/27/2012 - 10:43

I can't wait to see those art books! I am particularly interested in the hardcover omnibus! I am so pleased to see where the online comic book industry is going in recent months.

I used to think I was ornery

Comment by Jeremy Wiles (not verified) Fri, 01/27/2012 - 10:50

I used to think I was ornery but John is on a completely different scale. Well played sir. Well played.

John Comics

Comment by Alison (not verified) Fri, 01/27/2012 - 11:35

Just wanted to let you know that I love your comic in general but that my absolute favourites are the John-centric strips.

Everyone needs a resident misanthrope in their lives. I'm enjoying the one-liners from yours.

And for the record, I've totally used the "It's good - I printed it this morning!" line on store clerks who hold the currency up to the light to "check for authenticity."

And on behalf of Store

Comment by CorvusErebus (not verified) Sat, 01/28/2012 - 03:09

And on behalf of Store Clerks everywhere, We hate you. With the rage of a thousand dying suns.

This is the first time John has said something Completely Unoriginal and not funny. Sadface.

No need to be so hostile!

Comment by Thea (not verified) Mon, 01/30/2012 - 21:10

Perhaps you should consider other employment if one joke makes you so upset?

Perhaps we would if we

Comment by TheEFAF (not verified) Tue, 01/31/2012 - 10:19

Perhaps we would if we could...
The USA is running rather short on job prospects. When the choice is a shitty job or no home and no food, I think we all know what the majority will pick.

I have to say that I am SICK

Comment by Sploosh (not verified) Fri, 01/27/2012 - 11:38

I have to say that I am SICK of comments like that. I must hear that joke at least a couple hundred times a week. And you know what? It's NOT FUNNY.

Oh god

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Fri, 01/27/2012 - 12:21

Do you know how many times I have heard that joke working a cash register? The answer is TOO MANY FUCKING TIMES.

It feels like such an

Comment by Suri (not verified) Fri, 01/27/2012 - 20:53

It feels like such an obvious joke though. I don't joke about money, cause I know people who deal with said money have heard and dealt with it all.
Oh, I got my Special edition of Vol 2 today!!!
I loved it, I giggled for 2 straight minutes over my maw in his special shoes with spats. Maw's such a fancy gentleman!
Thank you!

Wow....

Comment by AmbrosiaWriter (not verified) Fri, 01/27/2012 - 23:50

When was this funding project started!? It's already OVER the mark! You guys have a lot of fans! :D

And I have to wonder if sometimes John gets into trouble from his sense of humor.

I'm a cashier and I get this

Comment by Aikachi (not verified) Sat, 01/28/2012 - 11:05

I'm a cashier and I get this joke pretty often. At my place of work we are only required to hold the bill up to the light to make sure the watermark and the strip are in their proper places and properly marked. When a customer says that, I will scrutinize the bill and tell them they've done a fantastic job.

I also throw the joke back at them, when I get a $50 or $100 bill, I'll hold it up and then act very excited when I find out it's genuine. Also, when people ask me for quarters I tell them that I'll only give them change if the $1 bill is real. Yeah, I'm terrible.

I have caught a few counterfeits in my day though, they're relatively easy to spot if you know what you're looking for, so I'm not particularly worried that one will slip past me.

Oh God...

Comment by JK (not verified) Sat, 01/28/2012 - 19:15

I was a bank teller. Every time someone said this I would have to laugh coquettishly and then take out my fraud pen and then prove that person wrong. Then I'd be all like, "I'll assume you just stole this, because you're obviously not printing them." And the person would be all like, "How does that pen work? I must have one."

Also, just to let you know, bank tellers HATE new bills. They stick so much, make counting a pain, and we look like idiots when we count them because it takes so much longer. We can't look super cool counting really quick and we lose our street cred. T_T

Molto Bene

Comment by Damonashu (not verified) Sun, 01/29/2012 - 02:57

I just got done spam reading this webcomic, and I must pass on big ups because it's pretty great. Scenes with John tend to make me laugh and Rook is adorable.

And...

Comment by Damonashu (not verified) Sun, 01/29/2012 - 02:57

I particularly love the art and the side stories.

To all you annoyed money handlers...

Comment by Juggler (not verified) Mon, 01/30/2012 - 00:49

Why make it so awkward by faking a laugh, or killing their fun with a stern warning? Just tell 'em the truth, that you get that joke a lot! It'll foster better communication between everyone involved!

There should be John

Comment by Ilsa (not verified) Mon, 01/30/2012 - 19:31

There should be John keychains in the shop. Especially if it came in the form of a Johnataur or a Johnasaur.

You should see Aussie money

Comment by Shiara (not verified) Tue, 01/31/2012 - 05:19

It's so colourful and incredibly difficult to counterfeit!

indeed!

Comment by Stikibunn (not verified) Tue, 01/31/2012 - 08:54

I am an Australian who worked in retail for a while (better then the call centre jobs I had actually I wanna go back!) and we never get this. our money is obvious when it's faked as the transparent window isn't transparent and as aussie money is made of a smooth incredibly thin plastic you can't fake it with paper.
Simply looking at the bill you get the sense "this is something I couldn't fake" unlike foreign money which is always one or two pigments printed on papery substance (Apparently US notes are made of papery fabric) which when you hold makes you think "I could print these easy!"
Interestingly enough the technique used to print our money is a state secret. the method of printing on the plastic and laser embossing and so on is guarded like crazy. the euro notes are printed on Australian machines in a mint in Melbourne even!

our Canadian bills are made of polymer too!

Comment by Jace (not verified) Wed, 02/01/2012 - 02:17

Yay! We're switching our bills to polymer too! I love it.

i've never heard nor said

Comment by weesa (not verified) Tue, 01/31/2012 - 17:32

i've never heard nor said this joke

i thought it was pretty funny

!

Comment by jwbalsley (not verified) Tue, 01/31/2012 - 18:07

Wow, that's really cool, and there are so many different comic book genres all together all with amazing talent!

This will be very exciting! This reminds me I need to keep up with more comics that are out there.

Cheers!

Obvious solution to the $20 counterfeit joke:

Comment by Shjade (not verified) Wed, 02/01/2012 - 19:45

Someone needs to make a little ticker for cashiers that says something along the lines of "Times I've Heard That One Today" with one of those big red buttons on top.

Put it somewhere highly visible. Whenever someone drops that joke on you, push the button.

:D