Atomic Robo FCBD 2012!

Atomic Robo FCBD 2012!

Thu, 05/10/2012 - 16:33 by Ananth in response to japan 2012 travelogue 4

More Japan travelogue comics! Uni is sea urchin, by the way. Conrad and I once dared each other to eat Uni and let me just say that I was not into it. Not at all! I think we're getting back to our usual comics next week.

Free Comic Book Day has passed but I wanted to mention that myself and George guest-star in the Atomic Robo FCBD 2012 story! Brian and Scott gave us roles as Action Scientists so that is a nice neat checkmark off of my bucket list. It's a fun little story and also features Dr. Dinosaur - AND it's a free download at Comixology right now! Take a look!

That's all for us! Catch you next week!

Comments

But travelouges are so

Comment by Deih (not verified) Thu, 05/10/2012 - 19:19

But travelouges are so amusing!

I have heard stories that sea urchin tastes either bland or of pee, so either way I don't think I want to try it xD

urge

Comment by homeimprovement-inn (not verified) Tue, 10/23/2012 - 23:29

If love happened before, it can happen again even if he tells you that it's over and he is in love with another or even worse, that he never loved you in the first place.

yay for uni?

Comment by yraelis (not verified) Thu, 05/10/2012 - 20:21

I find uni to be pretty amazing and weird. Growing up eating steamed crabs with all of the guts kind of takes the edge off of eating uni.

I'm now horribly curious, because I've never tried it in anything else BUT sushi. Curiousity #2, was the food customary because of the event?

Was that "How relaxing..." sarcastic?

Comment by Android 21 3/7 (not verified) Fri, 05/11/2012 - 00:37

Because I know I'd be weirded out if my toilet began singing at me.

I 've been reading about

Comment by Alain (not verified) Fri, 05/11/2012 - 00:42

I 've been reading about those luxury Japanese toilets for nearly 20 years so they must be real, but I still can't get over all the things that they do.

Just go to totousa.com and

Comment by Cameron (not verified) Fri, 05/11/2012 - 07:55

Just go to totousa.com and you can see all they can do!

A little tidbit of info

Comment by Schweeb (not verified) Fri, 05/11/2012 - 03:30

To clear up a little of the implied confusion regarding the TV, it was probably the first TV in Japan. Japan was an early adopter alongside the US, but they were not the pioneers of it. Essentially, Germany and France were where the TV was born. The idea was thought up in the late 1800s, and realized very early into the 1900s.
I don't have any exact dates for this, but I did do some research a while back. Baird? I think that's the guy that publicly demonstrated the first TV in the early 1900s. Again, I'm not 100% sure, but this is what I remember finding.

depends on what you consider the first TV "event" to be

Comment by Alain (not verified) Sat, 05/12/2012 - 03:09

There's a neat timeline on Wikipedia:

But it does not take into account early one-off prototype demos like Baird's and it starts with irregular broadcasts.

Regular broadcasts came later.

The only problem I have with

Comment by Zipadeedoodah (not verified) Fri, 05/11/2012 - 04:01

The only problem I have with uni is that it's BRIGHT ORANGE.

The meat of no animal should be bright orange.

Also prawn/shrimp are delicious with the head. When you bite the head (eyes and all), the flavor of the internals (aka brains) just explodes on your tongue and supplies an amazing flavor.

Uni, uni, uni...

Comment by Ellie (not verified) Fri, 05/11/2012 - 07:10

"When in doubt, it's probably uni." Yep, I can relate to that. Hostfather picked the very most expensive little plate with sushi available in the sushiya, saying it was his favourite, one of the finest you could eat, and wouldn't I like to try it?
For anyone versed a little in the Japanese customs and habits, this offering and the fact that my hostfamily explicitly payed for the dinner, will make it clear that I had no way at all of refusing.

And sure enough. Bright orange uni on a small dash of rice, with a piece of nori around. Big public restaurant.
Aaaand... taste and texture something like what brain matter must be. I wish it was possible to switch off one's tastebuds.
So, it was eat, smile and say something nice. "Well... that was certainly like something I never tasted before!"

I still haven't figured out whether it was a "gross out the gaijin"-thing or if hostfather was sincere...

Magical Motion Sensor Toilet

Comment by Cameron (not verified) Fri, 05/11/2012 - 07:49

Huzzah for TOTO, for it is the company for which I work at!

Uni

Comment by 13thprotector (not verified) Fri, 05/11/2012 - 09:21

Had it before, but only once, it was at a friend's house, and I can't say I enjoyed it nor did I dislike it. It had such a strange taste, that I can hardly remember.
Personally like crab claws, mudbugs(craw fish, or crawdads, or however you call it), or salmon as preferred aquatic foods.

All hail the magic toilet.

Comment by Alex Ross (not verified) Fri, 05/11/2012 - 11:49

Magic toilets. Just be glad you didn't sit down, then press... the wrong button.

awwwww yeaaaaaaaah

Comment by Al Paradise (not verified) Fri, 05/11/2012 - 11:57

Yuko's Dad is Best Dad

If that's a western-style

Comment by Nate (not verified) Fri, 05/11/2012 - 12:46

If that's a western-style toilet, I can only wonder what an eastern -style toilet would look like.

Comment by badmartialarts (not verified) Sat, 05/12/2012 - 00:54

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squat_toilet is the 'standard' Eastern-style toilet. Used those a lot in Korea and Kuwait when I was in the military, you get used to it.

Was that a while back? Or

Comment by Zipadeedoodah (not verified) Sat, 05/12/2012 - 04:56

Was that a while back? Or possibly out in the country? Because when I was in Korea earlier this year I saw exactly one squat toilet, but I spent most of my time in the Seoul/Ilsan/Incheon areas.

Out in the middle of

Comment by badmartialarts (not verified) Sun, 05/13/2012 - 13:56

Out in the middle of nowhere, by the DMZ. Was in the military.

You also see lots of those

Comment by meanderling (not verified) Sun, 05/13/2012 - 23:35

You also see lots of those in rural (which are far, far worse than your average squat toilet) and less-developed-urban China. One of the reasons for culture shock every time I visit, though I was born there.

Atomic Robo: Guest Staring Ananth and George!

Comment by TheHYBIRD (not verified) Sat, 05/12/2012 - 17:43

Imagine my surprise that on my first ever Free Comic Book Day, at the creator of the event's store no less (imagine my expression when when I found THAT out) that I'd get a cool Avengers comic, a surpringly good Megaman comic, and Atomic Robo, featuring two VERY familiar gentlemen forced to assist a Robot Scientist, and a Mad Genius... Dinosaur...

Seriously, you can't have a better first FCBD than Ananth+George+Robot+GENIUS DINOSAUR!

FCBD

Comment by Jesse (not verified) Mon, 05/14/2012 - 17:48

I flipped out when I read the part about your guest roles in Atomic Robo. I picked it up a while back and thought to myself, "I've never heard the name Ananth outside of Johnny Wander. It must be more common than I thought."
Nope, says I. Good job guys, I'm definitely keeping this issue!

I thought the same thing at first

Comment by TheHYBIRD (not verified) Mon, 05/14/2012 - 18:20

I thought the same thing at first. Then I went back to double check something that caught my eye. Ananth wore a Maw T-Shirt, I couldn't help but go "... If he just put a hat on... Holy snot it IS Ananth!"