King City

King City

Tue, 05/22/2012 - 19:03 by Ananth in response to the urban climbing deer

Yuko started the garden up again! Cool. We've got basil, hot peppers, rosemary and marigolds this time around. I loooove fresh basil.

I haven't recommended a book in a good long while! Hopefully I'm preaching to the choir when I mention Brandon Graham's King City omnibus. It's 424 pages for $20 (actually $11 at that Amazon link right now, which is a steal) and it's some of the most original comics you'll ever read. It's graffiti meets 80s manga meets Euro comics meets whatever the hell he wants. Here's the Amazon summary:

Joe is a catmaster, trained to use his cat as any tool or weapon. His best friend, Pete, falls in love with an alien he's forced to sell into green slavery, while his ex, Anna, watches her Xombie War veteran boyfriend turn into the drug he's addicted to. King City, an underbelly of a town run by spy gangs and dark dark magic with mystery down every alleyway.

What is doesn't get across is how stylish the art and paneling is and how fun the dialogue is. If you're looking for a new book to read, give King City a shot!

That's all for us ... see you Thursday!

Comments

Not that outlandish...

Comment by Coffeepillow (not verified) Tue, 05/22/2012 - 20:10

My Grandma go hit by flying fauna once, now she's a little off her rocker... Well, more-so than before...

Johnny Wander | Updates Tuesday and Thursday

Comment by where to buy amazon gift cards (not verified) Fri, 10/12/2012 - 03:11

Howdy! Someone in my Myspace group shared this site with us so I came to take a look.

I'm definitely enjoying the information. I'm book-marking and will be tweeting this to my
followers! Superb blog and great design.

King City rocks.

Comment by Jo (not verified) Tue, 05/22/2012 - 21:01

King City rocks.

Haha! You planted marigolds!

Comment by Bracelet (not verified) Tue, 05/22/2012 - 23:11

Haha! You planted marigolds! Fool! Now prepare for an entire suer of trying to figure out who to pass off marigold seeds onto, because it feels awkward just throwing pretty flower seeds away.
Soon you're going to be stuffing withered flowerheads into plastic baggies and crumpling out their seedy bounty onto little patches of grass and earth just because it feels like you should do -something- with the seeds.

You could always make

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Wed, 05/23/2012 - 00:11

You could always make marigold tea out of the dried flowers before they go to seed! My mom has jars of it, it's a Chinese herbal remedy for...something.

dead head

Comment by Marie (not verified) Wed, 05/23/2012 - 07:18

I've just been dead heading my marigolds so they make more flowers. Also, I have a patio full of marigolds ($0.67 each, how could I not?) and we still have plenty of mosquitoes biting my husband.

Sounds like the perfect

Comment by oyog (not verified) Wed, 05/23/2012 - 08:38

Sounds like the perfect opportunity for some guerrilla gardening!

names

Comment by Sean (not verified) Tue, 05/22/2012 - 23:16

Are you going to name these plants too, Ananth.

Nothing like a garden...

Comment by BearHawkWriter (not verified) Tue, 05/22/2012 - 23:29

... to be ready for another windstorm. :D

Don't laugh at the urban

Comment by Alain (not verified) Wed, 05/23/2012 - 00:02

Don't laugh at the urban deer! They're already in the suburbs.

Last year I saw one in my back yard, through my kitchen window:

This year I saw three in the same spot!

Growing peppers?

Comment by Joe (not verified) Wed, 05/23/2012 - 00:18

Is it bad that this strip was the first thing to pop into my head?

King City!

Comment by ColonelStudmuffin (not verified) Wed, 05/23/2012 - 15:27

I agree wholeheartedly with you on Graham's work, but you forgot to mention that readers need to really look at the backgrounds for all the weird, fun little things he draws in. Makes the book a slower read but it's sooooo worth it! XD

oh god no

Comment by Inariko (not verified) Wed, 05/23/2012 - 18:35

Actually, the idea of a deer climbing up the ladder is TERRIFYING. Imagine it. Staring into your soul. Not blinking. Just climbing up. o_o

marigolds

Comment by Ibid (not verified) Wed, 05/23/2012 - 22:37

Marigolds help get rid of grubs and many other insects, but deer love them. A guy who owns a pasture near where I grew up grows them in his pasture to draw deer to his land where hunters can't get at them.

I bought King City because

Comment by Phillip (not verified) Thu, 05/24/2012 - 02:07

I bought King City because Conrad and Rachelle told me to, out of it and Sharknife. BEST DECISION BY PROXY EVER

(I mention this because I wouldn't've met them or anyone else without this comic so yay thank you guys for helping my social life along)

This...

Comment by Ardhanarishvara (not verified) Thu, 05/24/2012 - 15:00

It figures that this is what I would immediately latch onto.

First of all I would like to

Comment by Pearline Kopf (not verified) Mon, 12/24/2012 - 18:29

First of all I would like to say terrific blog! I had a quick question in which I'd like to ask if you do not mind. I was curious to know how you center yourself and clear your thoughts before writing. I have had difficulty clearing my mind in getting my ideas out. I truly do take pleasure in writing but it just seems like the first 10 to 15 minutes tend to be lost just trying to figure out how to begin. Any recommendations or tips? Thanks! Pearline Kopf