Abracadabro!

Abracadabro!

Thu, 06/07/2012 - 17:05 by Ananth in response to a funny thing happened on the way to the movies

Definitely one of the weirder experiences of my life! He did a half dozen card tricks while we were waiting in line, each more impressive than the last. It might be an understatement to say that the dude is really good at sleight of hand.

I've been spending a lot of my time writing recently, which is great! It's going ot mean more comics for your guys in the long run. I'm working on one project right now that I'll announce with details a little later this year - I'm a little over half done writing it. Very excited!

Just a bump for the store - we're now situated at Topatoco and they're carrying copies of the Benign Kingdom art book, including copies signed & sketched by Yuko! And signed copies of JW Vol. 1 and Vol. 2, and some t-shirts and patches and totes! We're also working on some new t-shirts so hopefully those will be out soon! So busy!

It's almost the weekend! We usually end up working through both days, but it somehow feels more relaxed anyway. How about that! See you next week!

Comments

hmmm

Comment by shauna (not verified) Thu, 06/07/2012 - 17:12

I wonder how many magicians that aren't successful because a bad stage presence become pick pockets...?

Epic Yuko faces in this one

Comment by Jill (not verified) Thu, 06/07/2012 - 18:29

Epic Yuko faces in this one XD

All of the epic. ALL OF IT

Comment by BearHawkWriter (not verified) Thu, 06/07/2012 - 19:58

Seriously, slipping a folded up card into your watch? For realz?

I would flip my lid. Twice.

Did she get to keep the

Comment by Xib (not verified) Thu, 06/07/2012 - 20:08

Did she get to keep the card? Should keep it in your watch, on the off chance you meet up with him again and he tries the same thing. Haha! Trick's on you, Mr. Magician!

that just reminds me of the

Comment by Gilder (not verified) Thu, 06/07/2012 - 20:53

that just reminds me of the best magician repeat story ever. David Copperfield on Conan (back when he was hosting late night) told this amazingly funny story about a crazy guy with a sign that said "David Copperfield is the devil."

There simply must be a youtube of it, but i don't see it.

I couldn't find it, and this

Comment by Gilder (not verified) Thu, 06/07/2012 - 21:15

I couldn't find it, and this story is too good not to share. Pardon the length.

So David Copperfield is touring with one of his illusion shows, and has a stop in the south (i forget which state specifically) where one of his crew guys comes backstage and tells him "David, there's a man in overalls out front with a sign that says "David Copperfield is the devil".

David laughs and sends someone out to get a picture of this man. He keeps that picture as a compliment. Three years pass, and he returns on tour to the same state, city, and venue. One of his crew tells him the same man is there, so Copperfield tucks his polaroid photo of the man into his jacket pocket and walks out with one of his crew. The man is there again, and he has the same hat, same overalls, same sign as before. David says to the man "Hi, my name is David Copperfield, do you mind if I get a picture of you and your sign?" The man is a little shocked, but shrugs, so the crewman takes a picture of David with his arm around the man, giving a big grin for the camera. Taking the polaroid from his crewman he smiles and says "this is gonna turn out lovely" tucks it in with the previous picture and begins to walk away. But David stops, turns back and says, pulling the OLD photo from his pocket, "You know what, you should have this picture." hands him the picture taken 3 years previously, and quickly walks back into the venue, to die laughing.

*slow clap*

Comment by charm-bangle (not verified) Fri, 06/08/2012 - 02:20

*slow clap*

Comment by Sammy Sam-Sam (not verified) Thu, 06/07/2012 - 21:20

THAT IS AMAZING.

Magic.

Comment by Omnithea (not verified) Thu, 06/07/2012 - 22:14

If the line were longer he would have buried/strapped/sealed himself in something.

Homg.

Comment by Origamigryphon (not verified) Fri, 06/08/2012 - 05:07

That is the most awesome thing!

But now that card is

Comment by SupSatire (not verified) Fri, 06/08/2012 - 19:54

But now that card is ruined...

I know a part time magician

Comment by Aaron (not verified) Sat, 06/09/2012 - 07:37

I know a part time magician who also does card tricks as the main part of his act and he has quite literally hundreds of decks of cards that he goes through because of practicing and how quickly they lose the feel he likes them too have. Too much shuffling and handling and he just tucks it away in a cabinet stuffed with them for giving out to friends. He also got a tattoo OF a playing card on his chest for one of his tricks where he rubs the face of the card off and "onto" his skin. It wows every time.

David Blaine Street Magic

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Fri, 06/08/2012 - 21:44

Stop putting sh*t on our bodies David Blaine!

Good thing he didn't send

Comment by Vovanich (not verified) Sat, 06/09/2012 - 01:10

Good thing he didn't send you to dinosaur times
That was a close one

Chronotravel

Comment by Omnithea (not verified) Sun, 06/10/2012 - 04:59

Good? What do you mean good?

Tricksy

Comment by Mel (not verified) Sat, 06/09/2012 - 11:47

Awesome! Magicians gotta magic... I'm seriously envious, I would love to just run into a street magician like this. Though poor Mr. Blaine must have trouble doing that particular trick anymore since so few people wear watches these days

Seventh Panel: Ananth: No,

Comment by Importuno (not verified) Sat, 06/09/2012 - 12:53

Seventh Panel:

Ananth: No, Yuko. I WAS DAVID BLAINE ALL ALONG.

WHAT

Comment by Previous (not verified) Sat, 06/09/2012 - 16:24

You know that was Yuko from Johnny Wander, right?

I like to believe that

Comment by mimi (not verified) Mon, 06/11/2012 - 18:15

I like to believe that elsewhere, David Blaine is making the exact same face.

All I can think of is this.

Comment by It's David BLAAAAAINE (not verified) Sun, 06/10/2012 - 20:39

Card Tricks

Comment by bachi-atari (not verified) Tue, 06/12/2012 - 08:35

I had a magician friend who would blow people's minds when he would burn the card, and rub the ash on his arm revealing the card number and suit. I talked him into showing me how he pulled it off after he confused some girls with it. Apparently it's a matter of prepping and controlling which card the person will pick.

WHAT??? That is amazing.

Comment by ACP (not verified) Sun, 06/24/2012 - 19:53

WHAT??? That is amazing.

The Book! The Book!

Comment by Featherlox (not verified) Mon, 06/25/2012 - 09:05

I just got Benign Kingdom in the mail this morning! And I want to say, this is soooooooo pretty and well printed. I lurve your art, Yuko, and I'm happy to have this book grace my bookshelf.

DAVID BLAINE?!

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Thu, 07/05/2012 - 15:16

WHAT THE HELL YUKO.
I hope you at least framed that card in a bullet proof case that will be mounted above a fireplace some day. That's what I'd do.