More Japan travelogue

More Japan travelogue

Tue, 06/12/2012 - 15:34 by Ananth in response to japan 2012 travelogue 5

Hey guys! We're going to do some more of Yuko's Japanese travelogues this week! These are from the trip she took in April.

We're going to be presenting the awards in the graphic novel category for the Random House Creative Writing Competition tonight! We're a little nervous but it ought to be fun. I love the idea of creative writing scholarships.

Actually, we have to get ready to do that, so I'm going to cut it short here! Have a good one, catch you Thursday!

Comments

We have a Book Off here in

Comment by Eben S. (not verified) Tue, 06/12/2012 - 16:18

We have a Book Off here in Vancouver and it is the best store ev-ar. I've always wanted to check out the Hard Off chain of used junk stores, but haven't had the chance (they have great names).

Yes! Book-Off is great! I

Comment by loopy (not verified) Tue, 06/12/2012 - 16:46

Yes! Book-Off is great! I went to one in Ichihara in Chiba prefecture and it was dope. They have so many awesome used books. I picked up the first volume of Kinnikuman, still have it, and it's in great shape

Acquiring books that you

Comment by Aube (not verified) Tue, 06/12/2012 - 17:59

Acquiring books that you can't read is a hobby of mine as well. It's addicting...

That hostess club sounds

Comment by K. Ann Sulaiman (not verified) Tue, 06/12/2012 - 19:07

That hostess club sounds like it was more than embarrassing to be caught seen in, Yuko. >_<

hahaha! i love these. you're

Comment by alexwarhead (not verified) Tue, 06/12/2012 - 19:25

hahaha! i love these.
you're dad's japanese side won out - taking his daughter to a hostess bar. i at least hope that his colleagues kept everything on the "up and up" while you were around. i know that mine never do.

For a moment there I thought

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Tue, 06/12/2012 - 20:09

For a moment there I thought the first Exquisite Beast was making a cameo appearance as Yuko's meal in the fifth panel.

Sad little squid is sad...

Comment by BearHawkWriter (not verified) Tue, 06/12/2012 - 20:40

Seriously, that squid is probably the saddest thing I've seen in these travelogues. Oh well, DOWN THE HATCH!!!

Oh...Oh now I see it...

Comment by Tgjsn (not verified) Tue, 06/12/2012 - 21:04

I thought the squid was a tiny hand at first...

bookoffs and japan.

Comment by maxis (not verified) Tue, 06/12/2012 - 23:39

oh god, i loved bookoffs when i went to japan. i didnt really know how to read them, but they were so COOL. the way that the writing is not left-right but up-down. also bread stores. only reason i lived was because of bakerys with life-giving cheese bread.

Yessss, Book-Off. The one

Comment by Fenrir (not verified) Wed, 06/13/2012 - 00:25

Yessss, Book-Off. The one here in Vancouver is closing though. Very, very sad.

book off and daiso

Comment by Laura K (not verified) Wed, 06/13/2012 - 04:12

we have a lovely book off here in san diego
I had no idea it was a japanese import, i just thought it was a single store run by japanese people. its exciting to know i might find one elsewhere when i move. I do hope yuko made it to a daiso when she was in japan, Its the only place I can buy amazing japanese tablewear for only 2 dollars a piece.

Yay for Book Off!

Comment by Neil (not verified) Wed, 06/13/2012 - 04:36

We have one down here in San Diego, I was just there earlier today! (or yesterday I guess)

cannot read

Comment by dekinai (not verified) Wed, 06/13/2012 - 05:01

i'm in japan for the summer- it's not my first time here, so because i'm pickier now, finding souvenirs to ship back is frickin' torture. last trip i bought way too much - this time i'm hardly buying anything. being a vegetarian here is interesting, too...
and having studied the language for a few years just 'justifies' my book-buying enough that i've got a stack over a foot high, and two months to go. it will take me 10 years to read them all.
...but at least i'm alone, so there's no danger of ending up in a hostess club. i don't know how you managed it

Yuko's derp face in the

Comment by Blue Fox (not verified) Wed, 06/13/2012 - 05:47

Yuko's derp face in the second panel is so fitting for buying unreadable books :D

I'm studying in Japan for

Comment by cookie_heist (not verified) Wed, 06/13/2012 - 06:11

I'm studying in Japan for the academic year (less than two months left) and I totally understand about Book-Off. Between Book-Off, Amazon.co.jp, and doujinshi, I've collected so much Japanese reading practice. And hundred yen stores! I've acquired so much stuff I didn't really need just because it was 100 yen.

I'd love to hear more about the hostess club. Given the price, that's not the sort of experience most of us get to have in Japan. ^^;

becoming a vegetarian

Comment by Alain (not verified) Wed, 06/13/2012 - 09:18

Gahhh! Just looking at that tentacle-thing makes me want to become a vegetarian.

Hostess Bar!

Comment by AmbrosiaWriter (not verified) Wed, 06/13/2012 - 10:14

Ha, woooow. I probably would've felt very awkward.

Though that squid looks really tasty, num num. I typically reserve the "books I can't read" to magazines and manga, that way I can at least contest clues!

Green With Envy

Comment by John Richards (not verified) Wed, 06/13/2012 - 14:19

Random House, huh? That is so cool! How did you guys get selected? Was there an application kinda thing, or did someone ring you up and offer it to you?

the most interesting of lives

Comment by Al Paradise (not verified) Wed, 06/13/2012 - 14:27

Yuko's life is the most entertaining life of all.

This doesn't really have to

Comment by Jess Rose Cat (not verified) Wed, 06/13/2012 - 18:21

This doesn't really have to do with this comic, but I had a long and kinda rough day at work today. Then I came home and my Benign Kingdom book was in the mail! It really made my day, especially with the little sketch from Yuko. Always loving you guys!

I can only imagine how...

Comment by Frankie (not verified) Wed, 06/13/2012 - 21:06

I can only imagine how... interesting it would be to go to a hostess bar with family (and co-workers?) Goodness. D:

Panel 2

Comment by Apreche (not verified) Thu, 06/14/2012 - 07:20

OMG Panel 2 you guyz.

I'M SO JELLY

Comment by ty_ping (not verified) Thu, 06/14/2012 - 08:49

I WANNA GO TO A HOSTESS BAR SO BAD.
But my Japanese is such crap I would be missing out on 99% of the fun...
100% since I don't drink :C

If you're ever in Tokyo there's a really good book store for second hand English Books in Takadanobaba "Blue Parrot Cafe"
And there's a book off with the entire basement level dedicated to English books... uh...
Somewhere in Kanagawa but...
I can never remember the station name even though I've been there twice. :/

Wow, the grammar in this

Comment by Dean (not verified) Thu, 06/14/2012 - 16:31

Wow, the grammar in this comic is way off. Great job.