Dejima!

Dejima!

Tue, 06/19/2012 - 17:08 by Ananth in response to japan 2012 travelogue 7

Dejima is really interesting! The idea of a buffer city for foreigners seems like an idea you would find in fiction, but it is very real. It also didn't work! Clearly. Today Dejima has been swallowed up by Nagasaki, and Nagasaki itself has very European architecture in certain places. Here's pictures from Yuko's trip:

That's the wall of temptation, I think. And that's all for us - catch you Thursday!

Comments

Oh~ those were plants on

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Tue, 06/19/2012 - 17:14

Oh~ those were plants on that wall... d_d b_b
at first I thought they were hands...

Dejima - what is that, a

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Tue, 06/19/2012 - 17:34

Dejima - what is that, a house for gaijin ants?

(Heh, forced perspective)

it's okay yuko

Comment by mannyC (not verified) Tue, 06/19/2012 - 17:38

i want to climb every wall, too.

I could have sworn those

Comment by Tox (not verified) Tue, 06/19/2012 - 17:50

I could have sworn those were HANDS sticking out of the rocks in the 5th panel. After I saw your pictures I realized it was just a type plant...

I would be a horrible interrupter of art ._.

Cetacean

Comment by Omnithea (not verified) Tue, 06/19/2012 - 18:05

Dammit, Japan. We have lights that run without whale oil. We need those whales for holding off alien probes.

Oh the temptation. At least

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Tue, 06/19/2012 - 18:31

Oh the temptation.
At least of the foreign countries to get arrested in, Japan isn't the worst. And you speak the language so you can explain that the wall was just too great to not be climbed

I've been enjoying these pages lately

Comment by Courtney (not verified) Tue, 06/19/2012 - 18:38

I'll be going to Japan later this summer for a couple of weeks and it's interesting to see what you're going through while you're there.

Climb ALL the walls!

Hahaha the telltale sign of

Comment by Wheat (not verified) Tue, 06/19/2012 - 18:47

Hahaha the telltale sign of a climber - when someone stares longingly at every stone wall.

Come down to the southeastern states and climb your heart out outdoors sometime. You won't regret it.

Ok, that's a scaled-down

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Tue, 06/19/2012 - 19:42

Ok, that's a scaled-down model of Dejima, right? 'Cos even wth perspective, that's too small.

It's working.

Comment by Alex Ross (not verified) Tue, 06/19/2012 - 20:09

All that rock climbing is turning you into the climb-happy monster they want you to be.

Wall

Comment by SamuraiArtGuy (not verified) Tue, 06/19/2012 - 21:02

So. Climb. Able.

Am curious

Comment by Dan Ortega (not verified) Tue, 06/19/2012 - 21:36

Is whale eating still a broad thing, or is it a thing more and more of the past? A few friends of mine from Japan reject completely eating whale, but I don't know if this line of thought is generalized...

Whale is still delicious and

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Thu, 07/19/2012 - 22:41

Whale is still delicious and shouldn't be kept from being eaten.

Holy crap! I think my dad

Comment by Chris E (not verified) Wed, 06/20/2012 - 01:40

Holy crap!

I think my dad knew that guy, they went to college together! I'm totally blanking on his name, but apparently he visited Japan, noticed the lack of beer, and was just like "I need to change that", so he did!

Man!

Comment by Alison (not verified) Wed, 06/20/2012 - 07:29

I want to visit Japan so badly! Those pictures are awesome (and I'm loving the travelogue)!

I love Nagasaki!

Comment by Indy (not verified) Wed, 06/20/2012 - 09:11

I went to Nagasaki during the two years I lived in Kyoto, and it was one of the most interesting places I visited. And the walls are indeed fantastic (though apparently not good enough, I'm willing to bet some foreigners climbed over them way back in the day!) In all fairness, if Yuko HAD climbed them, the Japanese police probably would have been so confused they wouldn't have done anything...

The friendly Dutch

Comment by Ruben (not verified) Wed, 06/20/2012 - 11:14

Went to Dejima too! It is really weird to walk through that town/museum if you are from The Netherlands. There are a couple of videos in Dutch and stuff, really funny. The Portugese were in Japan first but long story short the Dutch focused on trade instead of spreading religion, which resulted in 200+ years of exlusive trading!

Love the comic, pictures and atmosphere that radiates from your work. Also jealous of your (guilt)trip to that wonderful country. Make sure you go too next time Ananth!

Walls

Comment by Melanie (not verified) Wed, 06/20/2012 - 15:21

ALL of the walls are walls of temptation.

.....sei-an city??

Comment by Spizzy (not verified) Wed, 06/20/2012 - 16:35

.....sei-an city??

Nagasaki! Dejima!

Comment by Claire (not verified) Thu, 06/21/2012 - 00:16

When I visited Dejima, I thought it would make a great subject for a novel. Lo and behold, one of my favorite authors wrote it - The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet.

Whale

Comment by Stephanie (not verified) Thu, 06/21/2012 - 06:58

In HS, I had a teacher transfer in from Alaska. She had previously been working on one of the Alaskan Islands, close with the natives who have whaling rights still. As an offer of thanks for her service to the community, she, a European, was gifted some of the whale meat. She shared some of it with us (stores well in the freezer I guess) and I did have some. Fried. Some of the guys took her challenge to eat it raw (which the natives apparently did). I can't recall what it tasted like... would it be too cliche to say chicken? :D At least it wasn't traumatic, but equally not memorable in any positive way either.

Yay, Nagasaki!

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Fri, 07/27/2012 - 08:39

My partner lived in a suburb of Nagasaki for three years and I visited her there just before she moved back to the US. It's the greatest place I've ever traveled; we can't wait to go back someday. <3