Legend of Korra

Legend of Korra

Tue, 06/26/2012 - 10:16 by Ananth in response to korra arms

We usually steer clear of pop culture references but we've really been enjoying the new Avatar stuff ... a lead lady protagonist with serious guns and no damsel syndrome is pretty rare! Yuko did some other sketches of the cast (she draws a mean Tenzin).

Just a reminder: There are still signed copies of the art books and the Johnny Wander collections over at Topatoco!

Yuko also posted an old comic she did in college called "Ballad of Trash Guitar". There's a lot of proto-Johnny Wander stuff going on, and it's always neat to see the way in which a person represents themselves on paper changes over time. Also, a rare use of heavy spot blacks! I love spot blacks.

That's all for us! Catch you Thursday!

Comments

Start the epic battle soundtrack music

Comment by Katsuya (not verified) Tue, 06/26/2012 - 11:40

First panel = Yuko's "prepare for battle" face

But Yukko You're too small.

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Tue, 06/26/2012 - 11:57

But Yukko

You're too small.

Thanks for the sharing your fanart!

Comment by Annabeth Shepard (not verified) Tue, 06/26/2012 - 12:35

I just got a chance to see the season finale yesterday, as we don't have Nick as part of our TV package here, but I thought it was amazing. Thanks a lot for sharing your version of Korra, she looks, if anything, like she can kick even more butt than in the show!

Small

Comment by Doval (not verified) Tue, 06/26/2012 - 12:35

Yuko may be small, but so was Toph.

The only thing i disliked

Comment by kdaver (not verified) Tue, 06/26/2012 - 13:17

The only thing i disliked about this show is that the season finale closed everything too tightly, as if there's not gonna be a Book Two. I want more, dammit!

Well they only planned on

Comment by Scipio (not verified) Tue, 06/26/2012 - 17:09

Well they only planned on the one season, and they were almost done before the second book was greenlit so they couldn't really change anything. Personally, I think that the shorter run really hurt this season. Everything felt a little rushed, especially the last two episodes. It made the murder-suicide less tragic and more "I can't believe that got past the censors" funny.

Team Avatar hardly developed either. Korra did nothing to earn airbending (she was just firebending with air) and Mako was still a bland, cheating d-bag (I'm at a loss for why I should believe Korra would ever fall in love with him).

Yeah, it rang more of lust

Comment by Javer (not verified) Tue, 06/26/2012 - 18:42

Yeah, it rang more of lust than anything . . . Of course, in some ways that's even more bothersome.

Oh well! All I care about is more Bolin.

Sokka

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Tue, 06/26/2012 - 20:46

I always thought Bolin as the Sokka of the group. Comic relief, has an animal mascot, brother to the person in love w/ the Avatar, it all adds up!

I really felt that they

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Wed, 06/27/2012 - 00:51

I really felt that they tried to keep Bolin religiously half rugged ladies man and half comic relief. However, the two sides never really meshed they just heaped both on in equal portions and he seem really conflicted. We hear he is this really big ladies man but it never really rings true. He is treated like an idiot by so many of the cast members so much of the time. Just slightly uneven characterization.

My two cents

Comment by Pretty Jeff (not verified) Wed, 06/27/2012 - 09:28

Personally, I prefer a short, more compact season to a long, drawn-out season. Season 2 of The Last Airbender is my favorite because almost every episode has a purpose in the overall story. Season 3 was alright, but it seemed to have too many unnecessary episodes.

With Korra, yeah, it probably could have used a few more episodes just to highlight how funny Bolin is and possibly characterize Mako a little more beyond "awesome firebender" and "terrible boyfriend."

That's all I've got to say.

(also, nice comic)

Jealously

Comment by Aaron Diaz (not verified) Tue, 06/26/2012 - 15:03

Man, *I* want Korra arms...

Always love girls like Korra.

Comment by AckAckAck (not verified) Tue, 06/26/2012 - 17:55

Atheltic girls are the best.

What? I'm just being honest, don't worry Ananth, I'm not trying to hit on Yuko :p

Man are you watching the same shows I am?

Comment by ColdFusion (not verified) Tue, 06/26/2012 - 18:20

I can't remember the last time a girl was allowed to be a damsel. I think they can cancel you for that now.

The original Avatar series

Comment by Chris D. (not verified) Fri, 06/29/2012 - 06:35

The original Avatar series had a damsel in Sokka's girlfriend that turned into the moon, Yue, that's the one. She was even in distress.

No I don't have a more recent example, sadly I don't get to see as many cool action cartoons as I used to. :-(

I want Korra arms!

Comment by Sarah (not verified) Tue, 06/26/2012 - 18:51

I guess I actually need to work them out to get them, huh.

As a female rock climber and

Comment by Oma (not verified) Tue, 06/26/2012 - 21:14

As a female rock climber and avid Korra/Avatar fan i wish someone would pay me that compliment... =(

Legend of Korra doodles

Comment by rufi (not verified) Tue, 06/26/2012 - 22:00

MOAR. I want moar of your Legend of Korra doodlings and noodlings, Yuko-sama. They are AWESOME. <33333 Ananth is right, your Tenzin is brilliant. <3 (And your Lin. AND your Korra. AND Naga. AND EVERYTHING ELSE.)

Legend of Korra

Comment by Jess (not verified) Tue, 06/26/2012 - 22:34

AHHHHH!!!! Such a great show!! The original Avatar is sooo good too!!

Love the arms you're in!

Comment by Mari (not verified) Tue, 06/26/2012 - 23:00

I am a small female with korra arms. It's not all it's cracked up to be though. For instance, it's really hard to shop for blouses... and splitting the sleeves of tailored dress jackets gets old fast too.

Builds Sewing Skills

Comment by E (not verified) Thu, 06/28/2012 - 13:21

Man, try the arms with nice wide shoulders on top. I either can't move my arms but it fits my waist nicely, or it fits my shoulders/arms pretty well and it's a balloon around the stomach.

It's at this point where it becomes a necessity to learn how to tailor one's own clothes

there's always a first step

Comment by Alain (not verified) Tue, 06/26/2012 - 23:59

OK, start with a dinghy and a nice small lake. And buckets, lots of bucket.

Oh my god I am a huge fan of

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Wed, 06/27/2012 - 00:15

Oh my god I am a huge fan of this comic and now you make a LOK reference... I just... I'm ... *hugs your website*

awesome!

Comment by Petra van Berkum (not verified) Wed, 06/27/2012 - 06:01

I've been working some Korra arms too :3 but that's only because I need a side job next to my illustration business, and it's at a shop where I need to drag a lot of heavy boxes and stuff. I know it's not very lady-like, but I never had some kind of abs anywhere and now I at least have some and I'm a bit proud!
Korra rules (and so does the rest of team Avatar and Team Korra ;) )

Nonsense. It can be

Comment by Javer (not verified) Wed, 06/27/2012 - 20:35

Nonsense. It can be perfectly ladylike, for ladies are versatile.

That's pretty cool!

I want Korra arms too...

Comment by Ria (not verified) Wed, 06/27/2012 - 18:39

I will admit that this strip inspired me to get back to exercising regularly.

I want Korra arms too...

Comment by Ria (not verified) Wed, 06/27/2012 - 18:39

I will admit that this strip inspired me to get back to exercising regularly.

Hmmm, referring back to Iron

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Wed, 06/27/2012 - 23:54

Hmmm, referring back to Iron Johnny Wander (whose title I remember because somebody referenced it back to Iron Chef)--how many pull-ups can you do now, Yuko?

Hee hee hee

Comment by laserswords (not verified) Thu, 06/28/2012 - 01:46

This is the best. I wonder what in increase in martial arts classes is after Avatar was released?

I wonder when it'll click

Comment by drmike (not verified) Thu, 06/28/2012 - 06:58

You realize now that Yuko is going to have to cosplay as Korra as the next con, right? ;)

That old comic was really

Comment by Nate (not verified) Thu, 06/28/2012 - 13:07

That old comic was really cool. I'd love to see some more high contrast and Toth-esque solid blacks in Johnny Wander. At the same time, I like the current style as well because the screen tones give the comic a kind of nostalgic feeling.

What's metal-bending?

Comment by Hope (not verified) Sun, 07/22/2012 - 20:00

I've watched the legend of kora at-least but i don't really understand how metal-bending plays. I love Bolin