I'm probably in denial

I'm probably in denial

Thu, 07/05/2012 - 18:49 by Ananth in response to a dangerous addiction

We have a serious book problem! I mean, I wouldn't call it a problem. Other people call it a problem. I'm good man. I can control myself.

*LOADS AMAZON.COM*

We've recently been buying more french comics! Exploring a little outside of American comics to see what's going on overseas. It's neat to see the sensibility of one country filter through the minds of another ... there's a lot of post-manga(?? or whatever you call it) stuff going on at some french publishers right now and I'm pretty into it. One day I'll do a long ol' tumblr post about some of our favorites.

Anyway, hope you had a happy 4th! We went to Staten Island, which was lovely. The ferry is also pretty nice, and free! I wish I could sit on that thing with a notebook and just ride it back and forth all day.

That's all for us this week - see you next Tuesday!

Comments

There's nothing wrong with a

Comment by Adam (not verified) Thu, 07/05/2012 - 19:10

There's nothing wrong with a book problem... I think.

This week on Hoarders...

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Thu, 07/05/2012 - 19:55

This week on Hoarders...

I concur!

Comment by Morten (not verified) Thu, 07/05/2012 - 19:56

I have the same book hoarding tick you seem to have, and there is no way I'm gonna stop!
Books are awesome, and that is that.

Agreed

Comment by M (not verified) Fri, 07/06/2012 - 01:08

I agree with this statement infinityx1 over and over and over again.

Do you mean that weird era

Comment by Thegeorge (not verified) Thu, 07/05/2012 - 19:59

Do you mean that weird era of Franco-Japanese anime and manga?

If I remember rightly there was more demand for anime and manga than there were translated volumes so the french started working with some japanese to produce crap-loads of english language manga and anime at low cost, it was more like copying the style (but not quite perfectly) than what purists call manga/anime.(But who cares what purists think, some of the franco-japanese stuff was damn awesome)

No such thing as too many

Comment by Marisa (not verified) Thu, 07/05/2012 - 20:29

No such thing as too many comics. Or books. You can always hoard, I mean have, more...
Please do pass on a list, some of us would love to expand our reading to international waters as well! Bouletcorp is French and my favorite semi-journal style comic besides yours :)

please read asterix and

Comment by weesa (not verified) Thu, 07/05/2012 - 20:56

please read asterix and obelix

this applies to everyone

I agree

Comment by Qsy (not verified) Fri, 07/06/2012 - 19:33

However you must read that in French
Goscinny shouldn't be tainted by that merchant language of yours
beyond that most of the plays of words aren't translatable

for all that it's in

Comment by weesa (not verified) Tue, 07/10/2012 - 03:21

for all that it's in english, there's still some pretty good wordplay in there but okay i guess if there's any reason to actually learn something like /french/ reading asterix would pretty much be the best

:P

Yes, you clearly have a

Comment by Zatchmort (not verified) Thu, 07/05/2012 - 21:40

Yes, you clearly have a serious problem - not enough bookshelves! :D

Completely agree.

Comment by Matt Nelson (not verified) Fri, 07/06/2012 - 04:39

More bookshelves for all! Oh, wait... I need more floor space for those bookshelves... Time to buy a house.

Have you read the Asterix

Comment by Khail (not verified) Thu, 07/05/2012 - 22:21

Have you read the Asterix comics? They're apparently pretty classic in France (and usually pretty awesome in general)

That is an awesome problem.

Comment by lennan (not verified) Thu, 07/05/2012 - 22:32

That is an awesome problem. I really want to get my hands on some French/European comics myself, but have no idea where to start.

Recs for European comics

Comment by Anna (not verified) Fri, 07/06/2012 - 11:25

Just giving you some suggestions:

The Asterix-comics are pretty great, especially the earlier ones. Also check out Spirou and Marsupilami, for fantastic artwork.

Blacksad is brilliant, both in art and story.

Enrique Fernández' L'ile sans sourire might be available in English - if it is, I suggest you get your hands on it. It's beautiful.

Also, while Castle Waiting by Linda Medley is an American comics, it's got a wonderful European, almost Canterbury Tales-like feel to it.

That's okay

Comment by AckAckAck (not verified) Thu, 07/05/2012 - 22:41

Hoarding good books is a great hobby. Just make sure there's no moth around.

The Asterix comics are a

Comment by Flafla (not verified) Thu, 07/05/2012 - 22:47

The Asterix comics are a must-read! So is Tintin (even if it's a belgian comic), Jerome K. Jerome Bloche, Gaston Lagaffe, and if you like weird sci-fi I'd suggest Enki Bilal's works, but they might not be for everyone.
For historical stuff there's the 'Magasin General' series (a pretty nifty story of rural Quebec in the 1920's by Loisel and Tripp).
'Lucky Luke' and Spirou are also classics, and while I could go on and on I think I ought to stop here.

Oh! And for a solid and convoluted plot about time-travel and space colonies, I strongly suggest reading 'Universal War One'.

As for Quebec comics, "L'ostie d'chat" by Zvianne or "Paul" by Michel Rabagliati are pretty nifty slice-of-life series.

I know I'm rambling on and on, but there's so much about francophone comics I'm barely scratching the surface.

Ps: Oh, and Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi is a must-read as well.

Bibilophile

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Thu, 07/05/2012 - 23:07

Ahhh, the smell of a new book, or an old book for that matter.

My bedroom looks like Twilight Sparkle's house

Comment by OutlawWolf (not verified) Thu, 07/05/2012 - 23:10

It's kind of nonsense. Especially since I worked at Borders for 4 years through to it's collapse. At the end we were able to buy the books from my store for like a dime a book just to get rid of the stock on the last day. So many Discworld books from that. I haven't found a job though since last September so I've really reeled in my book, manga, comic collecting even though it really hurts to pass up an awesome book or series that I see. I also really want to try and finish at least 2 more books before I go and buy another one.

Same!!

Comment by LadyRune (not verified) Fri, 07/06/2012 - 16:04

Not only is my room overflowing with books (*A* 'Tis heaven...), but I worked at Waldenbooks until shortly before the company closed our store. Now most of my buying is at our local used shop and through Amazon. Such good deals when I can spare the cash... *A*

List?

Comment by FauxFunky (not verified) Fri, 07/06/2012 - 00:12

Ananth, do you think we could get a list of some of the stuff you guys have been picking up? Or, at least, any of it that you'd recommend?

Also, good on you guys for the King City nod. It was definitely a worthwhile read.

Our solution at my place was

Comment by Jeanette (not verified) Fri, 07/06/2012 - 00:40

Our solution at my place was to purchase a pair of Kindles for the two readers in the house. It hasn't stopped the book purchasing entirely but it does reduce the mass of paper in the house by a large margin.

Books

Comment by M (not verified) Fri, 07/06/2012 - 01:06

Hey, if you guys are getting too many books/comic books then I gladly take some off your hands. :P

Gotten past 1,000 yet?

Comment by Alain (not verified) Fri, 07/06/2012 - 01:38

Have you gotten past 1,000 books yet?

Here's a tip form somebody with a master's in library science and 10,200 books in his personal library:

If you haven't started to keep an Excel spreadsheet (or some other simple flat file or simple database) already then do it now.

Don't wait till you have too much of a backlog to enter the data. Also, keep each entry for each book very short, something like author, artist, title, price, ISBN. Skip the rest or eventually entry will become too tedious, even if you're just doing copy and paste form the Amazon entries. If your home ever burns down or gets burglared that list will be ultra useful. Also, when you get past the 5,000 mark you'll find the list useful for other reasons.

Librarything

Comment by drmike (not verified) Fri, 07/06/2012 - 14:23

I do the same with Librarything. Not the best of sites when it comes to customer service but it's preloaded with most books and makes organizing a lot easier than just a simple spreadsheet.

Tied to the Web but with export option

Comment by Alain (not verified) Mon, 07/09/2012 - 17:24

I don't know about Library Thing but I've used the Goodreads site for several purposes and they have options for importing from and exporting to a personal database file like a spreadsheet. Never used them for keeping track of my own books (too many French BD titles and othe French books which are not in their lists), but it was nice to know that people who did put their principal "mother lode" there could always export it.

French comics? Like Guy

Comment by Android 21 3/7 (not verified) Fri, 07/06/2012 - 04:00

French comics? Like Guy Delisle's travelogues? I love those.

Have you tried Blacksad,

Comment by K. Ann Sulaiman (not verified) Fri, 07/06/2012 - 04:29

Have you tried Blacksad, Asterix, Persepolis or Valhalla (which you can get in Spanish, French or German - depending on whichever European language you know)? The first three are well-known in France, while the fourth one is Danish and a hit in Scandinavia.

Heads up though if you're not into anthro comics, since Blacksad is set in a world of (basically) funny animals, like Usagi Yojimbo.

Moar recommendations

Comment by Funkfried (not verified) Fri, 07/06/2012 - 04:56

I really liked Black Moon Chronicles Wiki-Link and another more recent comic that is good/cute/makes me happy is Freaks' Squeele (No Wiki-Link tho) Both are french, second one is manga'ish and both got really nice artwork.

Internet high-five across some countries and the atlantic ocean from Germany!

Too many comics?

Comment by Anna (not verified) Fri, 07/06/2012 - 05:14

I don't know if it's possible to have too many comics - at least not until you start building walls out of nothing but comics.

If you're starting to get into European comics, I'm going to recommend one I found at Stockholm's International Comics Festival this spring - Enrique Fernández' L'ile sans sourire. It's a pretty slim volume, and I've only got the Swedish translation, but it's got beautiful art and a wonderfully quirky story. I don't know if there's an English-language translation of it yet.

And of course, I'd recommend reading the old classic Asterix albums, but that might be my childhood nostalgia speaking.

Just restating what's already been said.

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Fri, 07/06/2012 - 05:24

I'm in Australia and the only comic books I had access to when I was a kid (through the library) were Asterix and Obelix as well as Tintin. Both series are awesome and I recommend them.

Actually, that reminds me, I've gotta hunt down the Tintin collection...

French titles

Comment by Guillaum (not verified) Fri, 07/06/2012 - 07:21

I don't really know what kind of belgian/canadian/french comics can be found is the U.S.A. but here some of by favorite (I'm french by the way).

I like a lot :
- Lewis Tronheim : almost everything he draw or write (particularly The spiffy adventures of McConey = Les formidables aventures de Lapinot)
- Joann Sfar : Dungeon (Donjon) made with Trondheim, Grand vampire, the Rabbi's cat
- Manu Larcenet : Le combat ordinaire,
- Christophe Blain : Gus, Isaac the pirate,
- Jacques Tardi : the Adèle Blanc-sec serie,
- Ayroles (he's a script-writer) : Garulfo, De cape et de crocs,
- Arleston and Tarquin : Lanfeust of Troy (but not all the spin-offs)

Read or Die

Comment by Chris (not verified) Fri, 07/06/2012 - 09:09

Checkout Yumiko Readman's home and then tell me you have too many books ;)

Girl Walk // All Day

Comment by ks (not verified) Fri, 07/06/2012 - 09:54

Have you seen Girl Walk // All Day? It's a dance movie that features the Staten Island ferry prominently in the second chapter.

link

Comment by ks (not verified) Fri, 07/06/2012 - 09:56

Blacksad! Ythaq! That doll

Comment by PCalith (not verified) Fri, 07/06/2012 - 10:13

Blacksad! Ythaq! That doll one! (SkyDoll? StarDoll?) Oh man, french comics are the craziest things... they're so dang pretty too.

I can totally relate. I

Comment by Changewinds (not verified) Fri, 07/06/2012 - 12:07

I can totally relate. I think 75% of the clutter in my room is a book, comic book, or magazine of some sort.

Bookhoarders Anonymous

Comment by Pretty Jeff (not verified) Fri, 07/06/2012 - 12:14

Ha ha, yes, I have this problem as well. My bookshelf is full of books and comics (some of which I have never even cracked open), plus my file cabinet full of mini comics, plus the older books I have stored away in my closet, plus the stack of library books on my desk that I haven't read yet (not to mention the library fines I've got due to forgetting that I have to actually RETURN the books), plus a bunch of digital comics I've downloaded from the Golden Age Comix website.

French comic eh, then you

Comment by Danreiv (not verified) Fri, 07/06/2012 - 13:59

French comic eh, then you need to take a look at the work from belgian cartoonist Franquin.

Especially Gaston Lagaffe

and Les Idées Noires (Black Thoughts)

Its old, classic and still extremely funny stuff. You can find a lot of sample just by googling images those name.

Can't resist linking one :

French manga? I hope you got

Comment by Edwarol (not verified) Fri, 07/06/2012 - 14:52

French manga?

I hope you got "Nomad" in your hands!

Too Much? Nah!

Comment by Stefan (not verified) Fri, 07/06/2012 - 15:42

As long as you have less than I do, you're fine!

More comics

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Sat, 07/07/2012 - 01:15

You should check out the webcomic Maliki if you get a chance:

Some of the comics have been translated into English (click the flag in the upper-left). Sadly none of the books have been translated yet, as far as I'm aware.

BOOKS OF DOOM.

Comment by Geneva Rosett-Hafter (not verified) Sat, 07/07/2012 - 04:50

Oho books. One can never have enough...but it always making moving a bitch.

BOOKS OF DOOM.

Comment by Geneva Rosett-Hafter (not verified) Sat, 07/07/2012 - 04:52

Oho books. One can never have enough...but it always making moving a bitch.

I highly, highly recommend

Comment by Fenrisson (not verified) Sat, 07/07/2012 - 06:29

I highly, highly recommend Blacksad.

Johnny Wander | Updates Tuesday and Thursday

Comment by シャネル 財布 コピー (not verified) Fri, 07/05/2013 - 11:46

本格的なタッチ:よくレプリカのハンドバッグ本当にすべての自慢に高デザイン詳細として、有形ロゴ、徽章、信頼性カード、ロックとキー、保護袋などを含むもの。誰がするyoue知っている必ずしもを運ぶ、本物。

Hi, my name's Devon, and I

Comment by Devon (not verified) Sat, 07/07/2012 - 15:54

Hi, my name's Devon, and I have a book problem.
(Hi, Devon)

Only I really wouldn't consider it a problem. I like to think that entire worlds of distant lands, fantasy, history, and mystery are holding up my computer and filling up my floor instead of mere objects I should consider getting rid of.

Though, I guess I'd have more money if I stopped buying so many books...

Pah, that pile is

Comment by Oliver (not verified) Sat, 07/07/2012 - 22:06

Pah, that pile is lightweight next to the mountain of books Yomiko Readman has. That girl could seriously do with a kindle ^_^

Try "Lou!" It's a very cute

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Sun, 07/08/2012 - 03:01

Try "Lou!" It's a very cute (and occasionally heartbreaking) French comic about a young girl and her wonderful life with her young mom. I'm also a big fan of the Disney France TV show that resulted from it, although it's somewhat more twee, I believe.

Good day, eh?

Comment by drmike (not verified) Sun, 07/08/2012 - 12:46

Wait a minute. You're getting a package from the Canadian Amazon site?

"Amazon.ca, what's the

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Mon, 07/09/2012 - 08:33

"Amazon.ca, what's the website for that?"