release party!

release party!

Tue, 02/12/2013 - 16:39 by Aido in response to tempting fate part 1

People who work with ink are probably familiar with this plight.  That, or I'm unusually incompetent.  :|

Hey guys!  Ananth is out of town for work stuff for a few days so I'm filling in.  You might notice a handsome new banner ad on the right, leading to the Johnny Wander section of Hey Chickadee!  I'd like to think I've designed some neat stuff for them and the folks there make really lovely high-quality charms and jewelry.

And to remind you again, we're having a release party this Saturday!  It would be rad if you could come by.

Rook wants me to know that he is going to Die if he doesn't get fed soon, so I'll see you guys Thursday!

Comments

this is so familiar it hurts.

Comment by Merenwen (not verified) Tue, 02/12/2013 - 16:47

this is so familiar it hurts.

Not just ink, paint too,

Comment by Changewinds (not verified) Tue, 02/12/2013 - 17:01

Not just ink, paint too, though if it's diluted enough, I'll still drink it. <_< The problem is if I put the tea cup on the other side, I'd just knock it over. Silly thing is, I've done it with an empty cup too, even though the water was just right there.

I don't think there's a

Comment by Macca (not verified) Tue, 02/12/2013 - 17:13

I don't think there's a single artist that hasn't done this or the infamous swig from the paint water cup.

Prerequisite being at least 3 years of arting.
(Just don't do it with oil paints and paint thinner, folks! At least with the other paints you may recover unscathed from your mistake)

Personally, I think a little

Comment by TenCrown (not verified) Tue, 02/12/2013 - 20:35

Personally, I think a little brain damage helps the imagination. We're artists, it's not like we have to function normally anyway.

With you there

Comment by Steffox (not verified) Tue, 02/12/2013 - 17:27

I get this a lot with both inks and watercolors. At least I've avoided drinking the ink (but just barely!)

It's gotten to a point where

Comment by Rikaneko (not verified) Tue, 02/12/2013 - 17:51

It's gotten to a point where I actually have to put the cup on some furniture three steps away, but it always somehow migrates back to my desk.

Theeeen it's pretty much a given on what happens after.

I know those feels.

Comment by Jessica (not verified) Tue, 02/12/2013 - 18:35

I have done that same thing. Not fun when you are in class and can't just go get another
There must be some way to prevent this.
Sippy cups?

All too familiar

Comment by Kyle (not verified) Tue, 02/12/2013 - 18:47

Yup definitely not something I'm a stranger too, unfortunately. I've also almost drank from a wash cup. Thankfully that was an almost.

I was cooking some chicken

Comment by Yu Huo (not verified) Wed, 02/13/2013 - 19:15

I was cooking some chicken and drinking some coffee at the same time. The time came to take the chicken out of the pan and drain off the fat, which I did, into a mug, which I set beside the pan. A few minutes later... well, you can imagine.

I have never spit something out so fast in my entire life.

People who work with ink

Comment by Alain (not verified) Tue, 02/12/2013 - 19:48

People who work with ink should get to know people who work with clay. Ir's so easy to make a nice little pinch-pot that doesn't look (or feel) like a cup at all!

Oh you guys

Comment by EENPS (not verified) Tue, 02/12/2013 - 20:04

I've never done this haha you guys are idiots!
Just kidding. I try to use a little bowl for painting and a big old mason jar for drinks, but if i'm not looking or paying close enough attention, there's no hope.

I have managed not to do

Comment by Sharp (not verified) Tue, 02/12/2013 - 20:09

I have managed not to do this, but instead I keep accidentally putting my colored pencils in my water cup, along with my brushes... Which dissolves the lead. :I

Oh yes, I have done or

Comment by corvideye (not verified) Tue, 02/12/2013 - 21:24

Oh yes, I have done or nearly done this so many times!

And this is exactly how I

Comment by Hikari (not verified) Tue, 02/12/2013 - 22:09

And this is exactly how I almost drank turpenoid, my friends.

Well at least it wasn't

Comment by Macca (not verified) Wed, 02/13/2013 - 10:43

Well at least it wasn't turpentine, I guess. Turpenoid won't immediately start destroying your organs upon ingestion. I like turpenoid.

Be sure to take lots of

Comment by Truman Brady (not verified) Tue, 02/12/2013 - 22:24

Be sure to take lots of pictures! Just because people can't make it(like me) doesn't mean they don't want to go. thanks

Heh! I've done something

Comment by reynard61 (not verified) Tue, 02/12/2013 - 22:41

Heh! I've done something similar to this with my paint thinner and liquid cement while working on plastic model kits. (It doesn't really do any harm to the thinner or cement, but it's not very good for the brushes.)

I think I have that exact

Comment by hoot (not verified) Tue, 02/12/2013 - 23:24

I think I have that exact same Hallmark rainbow mug...

Ink

Comment by SamuraiArtGuy (not verified) Wed, 02/13/2013 - 00:10

OMGODS... *laughing so hard it hurts*

I have DONE THIS... more than once..

And the worst time to notice is when that delicate brush stroke across the new bristol board is COFFEE colored!

Arrrrghhhhhhhhhhhh.....

Happens to EVERY artist.

Comment by TheMaverickk (not verified) Wed, 02/13/2013 - 00:53

I think this has happened to every person I know who works with any wet medium.

I've done it was acrylic paint.... accidentally dipped it into my drinking water... but I luckily didn't swirl it around or anything, so the acrylic for the most part didn't contaminate my water.

I still drank it cause I figured it wouldn't be harmful.

If it had been oil paint though.... oh gawd that wouldn't go over well. Have yet to do it to a glass of rum and coke though.... having comfort drinks around make the repetitive work more enjoyable.

Hey Chickadee

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Wed, 02/13/2013 - 01:12

I was just thinking about how much I like your jewellery...Wearing your catmera earrings right now!

Watercolour for me, not ink,

Comment by PHO_92 (not verified) Wed, 02/13/2013 - 01:39

Watercolour for me, not ink, but oooh so familiar! I actually bought a giant neon-yellow mug & painted "NO BRUSHES HERE!!!" on it in enormous black letters...so far it's worked! (Mostly.)

What's even better is nearly

Comment by Damien (not verified) Wed, 02/13/2013 - 01:48

What's even better is nearly drinking the ink cup or paint water.

I’m a big knocker-over of

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Wed, 02/13/2013 - 02:18

I’m a big knocker-over of mugs, although I don’t paint. I got an adult sippy cup* to use while working with focus, and my keyboard agrees that it was a great idea. No more desktop flashfloods, and it should do something to stop the brush dipping too.

* travel mug

Pun and lies.

Comment by Bob (not verified) Wed, 02/13/2013 - 07:30

Personally, I never liked Paint. This is why I always used Photoshop.
That or use use a beer hat. My uncle is so ahead of the curve.

Teaicide

Comment by Tsarstepan (not verified) Wed, 02/13/2013 - 10:01

Teaicide is far more common and brutal crime that then the world knows about. The media is covering this horrific global crime epidemic up.

This however is a case of involuntary teaslaughter.;-)

What kind of eater is Rook?

Comment by Android 21 3/7 (not verified) Wed, 02/13/2013 - 11:14

I just leave my cat a bowl of food out all day and let her munch on it whenever she gets hungry. She doesn't bother me so much and I only refill it once every day. Or is Rook like my sister's cat who is a shameless glutton and will continue eating as long as there's food in the bowl and will knock over trash cans to eat the contents when the bowl's empty? My sister's cat originally lived on the street and probably learned that trick from raccoons before she sweet-mewed her way into pethood.

Also, about those cups...

Comment by Android 21 3/7 (not verified) Wed, 02/13/2013 - 11:16

Why don't you just have the ink water cup to the right of you and the tea cup to the left? Or do you change between hands when you ink now?

Coffee grains

Comment by 13thprotector (not verified) Wed, 02/13/2013 - 11:44

I was in art the other day, we had to make an aged painting, we smeared the paper with coffee grains and soaked it after we drew all over it. The image came out pretty good.
Though, I'm not drinkin' coffee you paint with.

Android beat me to it

Comment by ScottBieser (not verified) Wed, 02/13/2013 - 14:23

Putting drink cups on the left and art cups on the right is exactly how I solved this problem, years ago. All it required was the purchase of an extra small table to put on the left of my drawing board. Worth every penny I paid at that garage sale.

Of course, now I do my art entirely with tablet-and-stylus, so it's no longer an issue, but I still put my drink cup on the left and my stylus base on the right.

I know the feeling

Comment by Julia (not verified) Wed, 02/13/2013 - 16:30

I also considered that I might be unusually incompetent when this happened.

"Do Not Ingest"

Comment by N.A.O (not verified) Wed, 02/13/2013 - 20:31

Oh, I know this feeling. I once took a huge swig of my paint water. I was insanely sick-- acrylic paint and retarder don't make a good beverage.

I've taken to drinking from only soda bottles or containers with caps. Never again.

SERIOUSLY EVERY TIME

Comment by Tigerlilied (not verified) Thu, 02/14/2013 - 00:13

I don't even know how many chemicals I've ingested from doing this. The worst part...I usually only catch myself midway through a painting. Then there's that horrible pause when you look at your brush, trembling, poised in the air, and wonder....

...what have I done?

Dain Bramage for sure.

Oh god, story of my life. I

Comment by Ellemar (not verified) Thu, 02/14/2013 - 02:50

Oh god, story of my life. I have to strategically place my drink cup and my water jar far away from each other.

Totally Drank my watercolors the other day...

Comment by Anii (not verified) Thu, 02/14/2013 - 12:00

So... yup! Worst feeling ever.... there was some gouache in that water too- was expecting hot coco, drank from the wrong glass *shiver*

If I lived closer, I'd

Comment by elorg (not verified) Thu, 02/14/2013 - 13:33

If I lived closer, I'd definitely be there. Though you're not horribly far, so it's tempting to hop the train and go to the release party anyway.

All. The. Time.

Comment by EiceBleu (not verified) Thu, 02/14/2013 - 14:43

Ink, water color, acrylic--I've dipped and drunk it all.

And after that...

Comment by Jackalgirl (not verified) Thu, 02/14/2013 - 15:18

...the hot water melts the glue in the brush and the hairs start to fall out. Ugh!

Green tea

Comment by Dolf Zigler (not verified) Wed, 03/13/2013 - 03:15

Want to taste the fresh Green tea? Teesta Valley is a well appreciated producer & exporter of quality taste green tea in India at affordable green tea price ranges.